The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Website not touch screen friendly  (Read 812 times)

Chuckles_McChuck

Website not touch screen friendly
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:37 am »
Not a huge priority, but I sometimes find myself wanting to examine the lore, forums or any other aspects of Layonara while on breaks at work or maybe on the road (any situation I don’t have a computer with me).  The problem is when I do this, I only have my phone or tablet with me and the top menu's occasionally (more often than not) do not want to cooperate with me, forcing me to select the top option (such as Lore) before being able to select anything in the dropdown, making those menu's completely unavailable to me.I’ve tried working around it, but I can't find any other means to access the other menu's and it’s just overall frustrating when you quickly want to look something up and you know where to look, but the only way you know to get there becomes a game of how fast you can select something after selecting something else (which doesn’t always work even when you think you won).

The following users thanked this post: willhoff

willhoff

I've encountered the same
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 06:07:13 pm »

I've encountered the same problem.  I like to check the server status and active forum topics but now I have to click the header....get redirected and then I can click on server status or the active forum topics.  Basically the problem for me is the drop down menus don't work initially.

I'm sure there are much bigger issues but glad you brought it up!

Chuckles_McChuck

I know the problem stems from
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:02:31 pm »

I know the problem stems from the menus dropdown activating simply when you have the mouse hover over them, then you only need click once on the choice you want once it reveals itself, including the topmost available selection.  The issue is you don't have that mouse hover option when you are using a touch screen device, so you have to select the top option which redirects you to its link and the dropdown disappears after you have been redirected (it appears for a brief moment).

A simple fix could be to include a dropdown arrow to reveal the list without having to select any of the options (like you see in excel, or some pdf's with a select set of options available for a field, etc.).  That should allow areas of the website to be more easily accessible to touch screen devices.

Dorganath

This is definitely true.That
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:40:36 pm »

This is definitely true.

That said... The site was built and somewhat before touch-/mobile-compatibility was really a thing. Beyond the base site, there's a fair amount of customization done to the base site system. As such (unless there's some super-easy way to apply a more compatible skin/theme), there's not really a quick-and-easy way to make it more mobile-friendly. The shortest path to this would be to use some kind of Bootstrap-based template, but that is sadly not going to be plug-and-play.

Having attempted to plug Bootstrap (even just the bits related to menus) into a pre-existing, highly-customized site in my day job, I can say with some confidence that the results are not easy to predict.

Modernization of the site is on the roadmap, but we don't have a particular ETA on that, so for now everyone will just have to suffer through it for a while.