The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: "Opposing Force" PvP Quest?  (Read 268 times)

SiliconMagician

"Opposing Force" PvP Quest?
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »
I wasn't sure where to post this little ditty of an idea I came up with so I figured I'd put it here and see what happens.

I'm really trying to develop my char Githrin a very real way in game as a certain character who's personal gain of magical knowledge and power trumps all ethical concerns, and as such will sometimes run into a bit of trouble among those who would see an end to the lines of learning that he is embarking upon(total arcane mastery of the undead).

As such, the idea of Githrin acting as a PC "opposing force" towards a party has become very attractive as a player to me.

I have reviewed the rules about griefing and wish to follow the rules to the letter, which is the point of this thread..

Is it possible for me to say, gain a party of volunteers who know full well they are facing a PC opponent and attempting to stop him from pursuing some goal(which can be hammered out at a later time) but the general idea is as follows:

A party of volunteers to number no more than 4 and all to be at least one level less than Githrin at the time of the quest. Will gather and attempt to stop Githrin from achieving whatever goal it is he has in mind. There would be certain rules to ensure that everyone has fun.

#1)Githrin will never act directly against the party with an offensive magic, save summoning of undead or other minions. His activities would be strictly related to a support role, say.. firing off negative energy rays at a group of undead to heal them while they are fighting the party to delay them a little longer so he can escape or some other goal.

#2)Githrin would have one assistant with him, a non wizard class, and at least 1 level less than Githrin is at the time of the quest to assist him in keep track of the party and raising havoc to keep the party guessing and slowed down from stopping him at his goal.

#3)Any other rules or regulations the GM who might be interested in running the quest decides to lay down at the time the quest.

I mainly want to know if this idea has any merit first and general advice.

Thanks,

TSM

The following users thanked this post: Hellblazer, Lance Stargazer

miltonyorkcastle

Re: "Opposing Force" PvP Quest?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:05:27 pm »
There are a couple ways you can go about this, the most organized and perhaps best way is via CDQ or GCDQ (group character development quest).

However, if it's not something that has a major impact on NPCs or the world in general, say, for something personal, you can use the PvP widget and adjucate the circumstances among yourselves. You could also request a GM watch over the proceedings, but otherwise handle it yourselves.

Really, I think what you choose to do will entirely depend on the situation, and depend greatly on whether the situtation in question (whatever it is the opposing PC is wanting to accomplish that your character wants to thwart) has a significant impact on the world, either locally or on a larger scale.

Feel fee to PM me, or another GM with whom you may feel comfortable, the details of the situation, as we'll be able to offer better advice, more specific at least, knowing what's actually going on.

SiliconMagician

Re: "Opposing Force" PvP Quest?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »
Thank milt for the timely response.. I think that this sort of thing is really to small to be a CDQ.. the effects are not even local I'd say and probably wouldn't be much mentioned except by the actual participants involved. Really I' dlike to just gather a few people together and have fun with it.

No character changes would result from this I think.. I forgot all about the PvP widget! LOL Thanks for reminding me of that!

TSM