The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 'Tis the season... My turn to Speak.  (Read 93 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

'Tis the season... My turn to Speak.
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:09:35 pm »
So, I was putting up dishes a few minutes ago, when I started on one of my little soliloquies, and realized that I might just have something worth sharing.

Now, in most instances, I'm not exactly a fan of the Establishment. Much like Richard Dean Anderson, I have spent my whole life stickin' it to The Man. I don't much like authority figures, or heavy-handed government, or some guy telling me to get off his lawn. It tends to ruffle my feathers.

However. This is Layonara. The Man is Leanthar, creator and overseer of a place I've spent over a year of my life at. I've spoken with him directly (or as directly as Tells and PMs get), and while he is an authority figure - while he is The Man, - the difference between him and my country's Fearless Leader is this.

If I have a Problem, I can send him a PM. He'll read it, investigate, and take it from there.

If I have a Problem, I can send him a PM telling him what it is. I can ask him to discuss the Problem, and help to Resolve that Problem.

Now, most people would go to the top of the line to try getting problems "Fixed." However, "Fixed" means that the issue is resolved in the way the person wants, not necessarily the way that's best.

A Resolution is simply the closure of an issue, whether it's what the plaintiff was looking for or not.

--

Let's say I had a Problem with ScoobyDM. I'd PM Leanthar, and put the issue to him straight; I'd tell him what was wrong, and ask him to Resolve the Problem. L would have a chat with ScoobyDM, a chat with me, and then a chat with both of us, and he'd present a Resolution to the Problem. It might be for ScoobyDM to be stripped of his DM-hood, or it might be for me to shut my yap because I was imagining things and causing trouble (again).

Let's assume that I was imagining things, as has happened in the past. I would be presented with two general options.

Talk to L, or rant about it on the boards or in Tells.

The latter I've done, and nearly earned myself a ban. I had to grow up a fair bit to get through that favorably.

The former, at worst, would earn me a warning, and in all likelihood, Leanthar would just set me straight on what was going on, and we'd all get on with our happy little lives.

A number of people, in my time here at Layonara, have chosen the route of blasting other people or groups on the forums or in Tells, and the ones who didn't see where they were the ones who had gone wrong, were banned.

--

My real point here is this.

If you have a Problem, you can take it up with Leanthar if you're not comfortable discussing it with the DMs or whomever. BUT!

The real important point I'm making is to TAKE IT UP THE RIGHT WAY.

It takes a lot more maturity to set aside your anger and present the issue in a way that is constructive towards the purpose of RESOLVING that issue, than it does to just shout and whine about it.

It takes even more maturity than that to accept it if the decision handed down isn't the one you wanted.

So have some maturity. Just because we're Family Friendly, and because we have a lot of younger players, doesn't mean that even those younger players can't show the degree of maturity it takes to be a constructive member of a long-time community.

[/twocents]

Gunther

Re: 'Tis the season... My turn to Speak.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:16:55 pm »
Call me sick and twisted, but I kind of enjoy reading the hysterical rants and death threats.  Especially when the writer can barely spell or construct a complete sentence.  But then, I'm pretty easily amused too.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:21:55 pm »
Yeah, it's a source of amusement, but it's not constructive to the community. Sure, the people I talk to regularly may say I sound like Eugene V. Debbs from time to time, but... There are some issues which are rightfully brought up in those rants, that could and would be addressed had the ranter gone about things the right way.

Leanthar is never the enemy. He would fire the entire Team if he felt that was what Layonara needed to survive. Layonara comes first. It's the product of countless years of labor for the man...

I have to express that if I did something bad enough to be banned for, that I couldn't fix (and then go on to be a more productive member of the community), I'd go willingly, because it would remove a detriment to a community I love.

Talan Va'lash

RE: 'Tis the season... My turn to Speak.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:37:13 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 12/12/2006  6:09 PM
Let's say I had a Problem with ScoobyDM.

Is this me?

"Shrraggy?" *cocks head*

LynnJuniper

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:40:25 pm »
Word Steve. And I can now acclaim with 100% Maturity (in this matter atleast , lets admit it I'm a giant kid) That you're right. Nothing  much more to say. So in the words of 8-bit. Word.

I lied:

Because lets admit, once in a while everyone takes things the wrong way. Sure it may feel good to rant and scream and yell to the WRONG people about this, and yes I have done it. But ultimately closure, resolution the RIGHT way (be it if you were right, wrong , or in between , doesnt mater)  and being able to work play and associate with the people that you would've otherwise ended up scorning for life if you had done it the wrong way, are much more valuable then getting some steam off once (and lets face it, once is never enough).

Yes I speak partially from experiance.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 05:50:51 pm »
Talan Va'lash - 12/12/2006  8:37 PM  Is this me?  "Shrraggy?" *cocks head*
 You get a Scooby Snack for that one, Tal. :) (Though no, I should clarify; no problem with you.

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:07:02 am »
Yeah I'm saving my peace...

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 05:07:02 am »

Honora

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:18:08 am »
Gunther:  "Call me sick and twisted, but I kind of enjoy reading the hysterical rants and death threats. Especially when the writer can barely spell or construct a complete sentence. But then, I'm pretty easily amused too."

Okay, since we're sharing, in a wierd sort of way me too.  Because it's so easy to tear them apart; because it makes me feel good about my own experiences; because it acts to mobilize folks to look at themselves a little, shakes up the complacency.

Guess I've got a touch of CN in me after all :).  But only just a little teensy bit!

LynnJuniper

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 06:44:06 am »
Self evaluation is good. Its just too bad that it takes something like this to pull a community together and/or to get people to look at themselves a bit better.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:44:59 am »
lunchboxkilla - 12/13/2006  8:07 AM

No, Lunchbox, let's hear it. The point of my post wasn't to shut people up at all, but to have them go about things the right way.

jan

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 10:04:15 am »
Something keeps surpricing me after rant number 6?...7?...

Every time after a rant there are those that find pleasure to ripp the ranter(sp?) to shreds.
In my eyes it mostly are cheapshots at persons that -although they were far out of line -in their own -maybe twisted- way thought they had a point or points.

Every time after a rant there are those that say that there were points in the rant that IF they were brought up in the right way , would be looked at and COULD and WOULD be adressed.
The strange thing about this is that NO-ONE -including myself- has either the guts or the nerves to react on those points and bring examples of misconduct - or what ever- to the attention of the team- as far as i have seen-

Taking a rant and redicull(sp?) it is the easiest thing to do...take some points you are sure he/she is wrong and flame torch the writer with them.

Ofcourse it is easy to step in line with those- the mayority of the repliers- and burn the ranter.

Maybe, just maybe,it would however be better if the points- not sure wich because i gave up on reading the rants as serious and potential system or world changing- that according to some are touched but not presented right, would be talked about by the same people and presented by the same people that see them and know how to present them.

Just my two cents on this ranting business

*shrughs and returns to his playing , because that is why he comes here *

LynnJuniper

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 11:05:59 am »
I do understand what Jan is saying as is pointed out in a post in the poll section. Sometimes it seems that people (myself included sometimes) are afraid to voice thier opinions. They (and I) know that expression of opinions is better than bottling up and having them explode *Points at every post from Kiva's to Dashiva's* That way. Now I know a couple of the people that explode like this and they're not Bad people. But seriously , things can drive people to their limit and keeping things bottled up will do that to you.

So this thread advocates the speaking out of things that are bothering you , without doing it in such explosive ways.

There are times when I've expressed my opinion and good things have come of it
There are times when I've expressed my opinion and they were put down logically
Yes, there were even times where I've expressed my opinion and they were put down with little or no logical stand point.

But for the most part those last ones are few and far between :) so get your opinions out there!

Eight-Bit

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 12:14:42 pm »
I like to keep my opinions to myself about most things here, atleast relating to Layonara. Though, I will say, that these posts are silly and besides the point, and you all should be ashamed of yourselves. Time spent here could be better used on powerleveling my characters.