The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 4th level Bard spells are greyed out  (Read 248 times)

regnus

4th level Bard spells are greyed out
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
When Owen leveled and I picked his fourth level spells, I got the spells in my spellbook but I can never cast them.  The spells are greyed out on my hotkeys and on the radial menu they are always at zero.  I thought it might be a charisma issue but I dont have my book with me.  My Charisma is a 15.  I figured if my Charisma wouldn't let me cast it then I wouldn't have been able to choose the spells.  

Any ideas?

Varnart

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
RE: 4th level Bard spells are greyed out
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
what's your race? maybe if you're DRow or Aasimar, then your natural Charisma is 13, not enough to cast. or the same with charisma-increasing items. Or other things like that.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
Your subrace skin gives you +2 CHA, right? So technically you'd only have 13 without it and not the 14 I think would be required, making you unable to cast them.

Right?

Or, maybe you shouldn't have been allowed to choose them in that case, I'm not sure on that. But that's my guess.

Edit- Yeah. Right. That.

regnus

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 02:05:00 pm »
I did some more cruising on the vault.

This is really stupid in my opinion.  

As a 10th level bard I know two 4th level spells.  But I cannot cast them until level 11.

Acacea

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
Oh,  har. I should have checked.

That's what I get. So... yeah. "Har" pretty much summed that up. Sucks.

(Too bad you're not as charismatic as Acacea, huh? :P)

Ne'er

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 02:19:00 pm »
Yeah, I agree that it seems stupid, but then again the bard class is not focused on spell casting and thus you should have to have a very high charisma to be able to cast a lot of spells. It'll be the same with Angelo when he learns 4th level spells, I'm just going to say he is learning to cast those spells, but can't yet do it properly.

regnus

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 03:13:00 pm »
Acacea - Do Bards get bonus slots for high charisma?  I dont see anywhere that it says that.  And besides, I have a 17.  I said 15 above since it was my natural charisma so :-P

dadunmir

• Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
All spell casters should recieve bonus' for high ability levels.  However, to receive a 4th lvl spell as a bonus due to high CHA you'd need a score of 18, ie a mod of +4.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Nope.. just 14 charisma for 4th level.. 15 for 5th...and I have noticed that the bard is NOT getting the charisma bonus for their spells.

dadunmir

• Followers of Mist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
Yes, in order to have the spell KNOWN, one must possess 10+ the spell lvl in the appropriate ability.  However, receiving a BONUS spell is different.  At 10th lvl a Bard gets a BASE 0, 4th lvl spells per day and knows 2 of them.  It seems odd but unless you have a high enough charisma to boost your spells per day, you get 0, 4th lvl spells per day meaning you can't cast any.  In order to have a high enough charisma to get a bonus you need a score of...

12 for 1 bonus 1st lvl spell
14 for 1 bunus 1st lvl spell and 1 bonus 2nd lvl spell
16 for 1 bunus 1st lvl spell and 1 bonus 2nd lvl spell and 1 bonus 3rd
18 for 1 bunus 1st lvl spell and 1 bonus 2nd lvl spell and 1 bonus 3rd and 1 bonus 4th.

It's standard DnD 3.0 stuff. The bonus' apply across the board independent of class.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:02:00 pm »
oh yeah