The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: 5.6 magnitude Earthquake hits Oklahoma!!!  (Read 681 times)

Anamnesis

5.6 magnitude Earthquake hits Oklahoma!!!
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:20 am »
Right before heading to bed last night, the earth shook and the building rattled, and thus begins the recollections of my very first earthquake!! In the middle of our country, Tulsa Oklahoma, at 10.53p on November 5th, 2011.

And immediately I recalled the poem (erm)

Remember Remember the Fifth of November,
the Gunpowder Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why the gunpowder treason,
should ever be forgot.

Have you ever been in an earthquake! What thoughts went through your mind in that moment?

I headed for the doorway, worried about our daughter sound asleep, and wondered if it could get worse, and if we might have more aftershocks.
Elohanna Min A'Litae, Priestess of Aeridin
Breanna Shadowraven, Wizard/Rogue of Folian S'pae
Cord, Bard of Ilsare
Melaa A'nadivian, Ranger of Folian S'pae

Yar Ydnar

Re: 5.6 magnitude Earthquake hits Oklahoma!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
Yup.  Been in many.  Born and raised here in California.  It's an uneasy feeling.  You never get used to them. Welcome to the fold. :)

Best/

Yar

Masterjack

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:25 am »
I was send to Turkey in Aug 1999 to aid the earthquake victims. I felt many aftershocks while I was there. The weird thing is when I got home we had an small earth quake in the early hours of Jan 1 2000. Remember Y2K the end of the world. I woke up from a dead sleep yelling earthquake. At that time in my life I loved to sleep in and it was hard to wake me up. You could say it would take an act of God to wake me up ;)

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:56:29 am »
Quote from: Anamnesis
Right before heading to bed last night, the earth shook and the building rattled, and thus begins the recollections of my very first earthquake!! In the middle of our country, Tulsa Oklahoma, at 10.53p on November 5th, 2011.

And immediately I recalled the poem (erm)

Remember Remember the Fifth of November,
the Gunpowder Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why the gunpowder treason,
should ever be forgot.

Have you ever been in an earthquake! What thoughts went through your mind in that moment?

I headed for the doorway, worried about our daughter sound asleep, and wondered if it could get worse, and if we might have more aftershocks.

Glad you're alright,

Been in a few here throughout my life time, no big ones though usually around 3 to 5.5. My first recollection was when I was eating at McDonald with my mom I was about 8 I think. It was a 4.5 or a 5 I don't really remember but all we saw was the window shake and our seats were rumbling, but that was about it. Ended about 2 minutes after. Montreal is part of an active seismic area that range from the lower Ontario river to Quebec city and up to Maniwaki. It's not a uber active area but they say that there's seismic activity in that sector about every 5 days on average.

Shiokara

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:18:13 am »
New Jersey was hit by that one 5.9, the one where the epicenter was in Washington D.C. Some people were shaken up, but I was driving at the time and didn't even feel it.

Aphel

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:10:35 am »
I am living in an area where there is few to no seismic activity; we do have some earthquakes but those are usually harmless.
I am glad to hear that you and your family are alright.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:31:16 am »
I was at work, and then suddenly everyone was talking about an earthquake.  Never noticed a thing.
Quote from: Shiokara
New Jersey was hit by that one 5.9, the one where the epicenter was in Washington D.C. Some people were shaken up, but I was driving at the time and didn't even feel it.

Chazzler

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:34:30 am »
The continental and seismic ridges between the slabs that make the continents are quite far away from here in Finland, so we get very, very low seismic activity.

EdTheKet

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »
The only one I ever experienced was while I was fast asleep. I remember the bed shaking and thinking while half awake "Somebody should close the bedroom window because the wind makes my bed shake."
Only the following morning did I hear it was actually a (small) earthquake.

davidhoff

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 04:35:44 pm »
Closest we get here in FL is when the shuttle used to take off...windows rattle a bit and there is a slight tremor...I live about 100 miles from the launch pad  :)

Anamnesis

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:21 pm »
They say that we get them all the time here only so low below the surface we never really feel them.

Just about 15 minutes or so ago, of course, while the daughter and husband are out for a grocery run, what happens but another aftershock that measures 4.7 in magnitude, my first thoughts to run for the door, and then check the TV for news about it, because the news seems to be right on top of them.

Their advise is not to run outside but to find a stable table to get under. I wonder if they realize I don't have a table in my apartment, thankfully though I live on the bottom story of the apartment and the door is only a few feet away, but it sure rattles the nerves to be in an earthquake while alone at home.

The seismologist of course thinks that any more aftershocks are going to be less than 3.0 and barely noticeable but I am not buying it at this point. I swear while sitting on the couch that the ground was still rattling, and I don't think it was me shaking from being rattled, I think that the ground was still shaking for about 10 minutes after!!

And as if this isn't enough!!!! We are under a flood watch, tornado watch, severe thunderstorm watch, which they are saying we could have winds up to 80 miles per hour!

This is about that time where I start praying, not that I wasn't already but if its the end of the world for Oklahoma, might as well make sure I am right with the dieties? Toran, Aeridin, Rofirein and Ilsare, no but seriously, I am praying that the seismologist is right but he says it could be up to 3 months before the ground settles, and to that I don't know what to say... I guess I will get used to them eventually, maybe?

Anyway just my random rantings and mumblings...
Elohanna Min A'Litae, Priestess of Aeridin
Breanna Shadowraven, Wizard/Rogue of Folian S'pae
Cord, Bard of Ilsare
Melaa A'nadivian, Ranger of Folian S'pae