The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A friend is gone...  (Read 271 times)

Nook

• View Profile
    A friend is gone...
    « on: October 04, 2006, 04:54:25 pm »
    This past weekend, a friend of mine passed away, he was a police officer shot by a drug dealer who didn't want to go back to jail.  I ask that you read below and offer a moment of silence for him and his family; he was a hero.

HOUTS, KEITH EDWIN, age 30, born in Birmingham, Alabama and a resident of Tallassee, was delivered into the arms of God on September 30, 2006. He was a member of the Montgomery Police Department for the past two years and served in the Army Reserves with the 926th Engineer Brigade. While on active duty in Kuwait, Houts was recognized for developing a process to make armored convoy vehicles safer. This process remains in use today. Keith had graduated from Pleasant Grove High School in 1994 and his leadership abilities led to a scholarship to Troy University. While attending Troy he majored in criminal justice. He and his wife, Ashley, are members of Frazer United Methodist Church in Montgomery. His grandfathers, James E. Houts, Hershel M. Putman, and his uncle Jimmy Houts preceded him in death. He is survived by his wife Ashley, his parents, Barbara and Eddie Houts of Pleasant Grove, his sister Lori and brother-in-law, William (Bubba) Holsomback and five nieces and nephews, Calista, Patrick, Marissa, Alivia Holsomback and Megan Houts daughter of his cousin, James and Chanda Houts, his grandmothers, Edna Putman and Laura Houts. A]so surviving Keith are his wife's parents, Lorry and Mark Ebeling of Hutchinson, Kansas, Jessica and Chase Ebeling, sister and brother of Ashley Houts. Keith is loved and will be missed by many loving aunts, uncles and cousins. A memorial service at Frazer United Methodist Church, Montgomery, AL is scheduled for Wednesday, October 4th, at 10 am with burial at Oakwood Memorial Gardens (Gardendale) in Birmingham, AL. Family visitation will also be at Frazer United Methodist, Tuesday, October 3rd, from 5 till 8 pm. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to MPD Relief Fund, P. O. Drawer 159, Montgomery, AL 36101. The family deeply appreciates the kindness and devotion of so many friends, family and certainly the unfailing support of the Montgomery Police Department, Police Chief Arthur Baylor, Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright, Dr.. Thomas W. Rigsby and the entire Critical Care staff of Jackson Hospital.
    Published in The Birmingham News on 10/3/2006.

lonnarin

Re: A friend is gone...
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:25:23 pm »
    Sorry for your loss.  Have family and friends in law enforcement and dread getting the news you recieved.

ZeroVega

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 08:10:38 pm »
    My father was in the U.S. Army for 20 years and has been a police officer for the past 3... I know how it is. Rest in peace Keith Houts.

Polak76

RE: A friend is gone...
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 08:25:52 pm »
    A very sad event and such a terrible loss.  The world could use many people like him.
    My condolences to his friends and family...

Kind Regards,
    Polak76

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:43:46 pm »
    A tragic loss. I have a cousin who is a police officer and who has had his share of close calls. Those who serve willingly to protect me, my family and my friends, especially those who lose their lives in the process, have my eternal respect and admiriation.
      *bows his head*

Grid Blader

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 09:11:45 pm »
    I am sorry to hear for your lose.

SteveJW

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 09:14:42 pm »
    My sympathy to you for your loss. I have family who are police officers...and I have nothing but respect for those who put themselves in harm's way to keep me and my family safe.

*bows head in prayer*

666hellspawn

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 02:49:22 am »
    *stays silent for 2 minutes*

s0ulz

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:17:04 am »
    My sympathy for your loss. Tragic events in law enforcement get forgotten and easily looked upon until they actually happen. Then it is however too late.
    *bows head in mourn*

crazedgoblin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 08:30:10 am »
    i am sorry for your loss *stays silent for 2 minuets*

jrizz

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 10:18:48 am »
    A tough job made tougher every day. I am so very sorry to hear of this, my sympathies to his family and friends.

fighting_cheese

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 12:41:51 pm »
      I have sympathy his famillies and friends loss , my dad was an ex cop he fought the law *bows head for 3 minutes*

anything