The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A Friendly Reminder  (Read 567 times)

LynnJuniper

A Friendly Reminder
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:43:10 pm »
This shouldn’t have to be said, but I’ll say it anyway since it sometimes doesn’t seem to be heeded. Please refrain from drawing monsters into towns if you can help it, lest it have unseen consequences.

Today I found out my horse that was parked safely behind my house in Haven was killed, not by an ogre which would be somewhat understandable, those things sometimes respawn and follow without you seeing, but by a cockatrice from more than one area over.

I realize sometimes people don’t realize they’re being followed. Nothing you can do about this, however I still feel that this request is warranted at least as a friendly reminder :)

I would appreciate it if the person that did so came forward and confessed, at least in an OOC Fashion (in which I will promise not to give Rhynn the knowledge, I am no metagamer and if your character does not wish to come forward I will not force him her her.) But don’t really expect anything.

[FONT="]            This is just a respectful reminder. Please keep your eyes on the game and try not to lure monsters into town. Thank you.[/FONT]

The following users thanked this post: Marswipp

lonnarin

Re: A Friendly Reminder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:26:36 pm »
a cockatrice?!  Isn't that like... over 8-10 screens away?

Egads...

Please people... no fleeing for more than 20 ingame miles.  You're supposed to be heroes, not shrieking ninnies!  And sometimes, when you feel that you might even be destroyed by a tiny lizard-chicken... it's much better for you to take the hit and die than to live off the selfish sacrifice of somebody's 14,000 gp prize horse.  Living with the shame of having run 20 miles from a lizard-chicken though... that's a fate worse than death methinks.

These monsters literally chase you forever until they aquire a new target, so remember, *The Transition Points WONT Save You!*

jrizz

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:40:42 pm »
What if you are evil and your intent was to stamped monsters into a town? LOL only joking of course

Lynn1020

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:46:56 pm »
Understand this completely!!  My main pc lost a soul Strand due to someone dragging monsters in to other areas and leaving them.  :mad:   What's sad is you can't replace the soul strand like you can livestock. :(  

I agree that is better to stay and take the hit yourself and die instead of making someone else having to deal with the consequence of losing their animals or worse.

ycleption

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:02:12 pm »
Quote from: Lynn1020

I agree that is better to stay and take the hit yourself and die instead of making someone else having to deal with the consequence of losing their animals or worse.

Or better, hotkey a stardust or potion that will allow you to get out of places without being followed...

(although, I have to admit, I only learned this lesson after dragging a spider into Hlint when I was level 4 or 5)

egoober

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 03:08:57 pm »
If I may take a moment to quote Dorganath:

Guys...this comes up now and again, and it seems the time has come again.
  It is against the server's rules to lure monsters to pick them off one-by-one.
It is against the server's rules to drag monsters and hostile NPCs back to towns and other PCs when your character gets in over his/her head so that someone else can take care of the creatures you cannot.
Now, every time this comes up, some people respond with one or more of a number of reasons why they don't agree with this perspective. We've heard them all, trust me. Some of the top ones, and the list is by no means limited to these, are:
* Why should my character stand around and die when he would and could run to safety? * Why should my character stand around and die when there's (some NPC) there who can kill the monster for me? * Spawns weren't where they were supposed to be. * They'd be too hard for my character to kill if I didn't lure them one at a time. * People should know that the world is dangerous and just be ready for it, even while sitting in town.
  The list goes on.
The fact is, we ask you not to do it because it's selfish and does not take other players and their characters, and in many cases one's own alignment, into account.

Lynn1020

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:39:08 pm »
Quote from: LynnJuniper
T

Today I found out my horse that was parked safely behind my house in Haven was killed, not by an ogre which would be somewhat understandable, those things sometimes respawn and follow without you seeing, but by a cockatrice from more than one area over.

I was just thinking about this.. how can you find out what killed it?  

LynnJuniper

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35:26 pm »
Someone saw my dead horse and an injured cocktrice. OOC that's enough proof for me. IC I don't know, I suppose I could have Rhynn ask the gaurd of Haven

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 09:49:34 pm »
I think this sounds like an instance where the horse should be reimbursable. The horse was in a very safe place, a full screen away (and hidden behind a house in the back corner!) from the nearest spawn (gnolls in two directions, mercs in another, and kobolds/deer in the last), and... Well, at least two screens away from the cockatrice spawn, or... *Counts.* Seven. Considering that the latter would've gone through Hlint, it's more likely the two-area distance.

Which is quite a ways.

Filatus

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:02:49 pm »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
I think this sounds like an instance where the horse should be reimbursable. The horse was in a very safe place, a full screen away (and hidden behind a house in the back corner!) from the nearest spawn (gnolls in two directions, mercs in another, and kobolds/deer in the last), and... Well, at least two screens away from the cockatrice spawn, or... *Counts.* Seven. Considering that the latter would've gone through Hlint, it's more likely the two-area distance.

Which is quite a ways.

I very much disagree with that. Haven is surrounded by four area's with hostile creatures as you said and quite open.

It's your own responsibility where you park your horse or ox. The stables near Hempstead and Vehl are guaranteed to be safe for example. Or park your horse inside your house. Which makes less sense IC I'll admit, but it won't drive people crazy who don't have the best graphic cards.

Not sure why you're pleading for reimbursement here, Stephen. Luring happens, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:13:04 pm »
Because its quite simply as Dorg says against the rules to Lure something into town? I don't see Filatus why it wouldn't  make sense for a character to park their horse or their ox in front of their house. ICly of course. Perhaps if places with housing were made more safe or there were more accommodation's for horses in all areas, rather than just one which is, quite frankly no where near where my horse needed to be....

I'm not asking for a reimbursable on the horse, Just that people be a little more careful, please don't turn this into an unnecessary debate. I don't want to hear it.

Filatus

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 10:24:20 pm »
Quote from: LynnJuniper
Because its quite simply as Dorg says against the rules to Lure something into town? I don't see Filatus why it wouldn't  make sense for a character to park their horse or their ox in front of their house. ICly of course. Perhaps if places with housing were made more safe or there were more accommodation's for horses in all areas, rather than just one which is, quite frankly no where near where my horse needed to be....

I'm not asking for a reimbursable on the horse, Just that people be a little more careful, please don't turn this into an unnecessary debate. I don't want to hear it.

I wasn't implying that it doesn't make sense to do so. My apologies if I came across in that way.

I totally agree that people should be mindful. And people should always be spoken to when it occurs. And I do agree that a post like this now and then is good for reminding people about it. But in the end, with Layo being on air 24/7 it is bound to happen eventually to someone.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 12:14:38 am »
And, in that instance, it should be reimbursable, if the former owner chooses to put in a request for reimbursement. Horses don't stick around when the owners aren't logged on, and the horse (in this instance) was in a relatively safe spot - far from roads and not in an area with spawns. This was not a case of recklessness with the animal, but rather a new player doing something dumb (and we've all done dumb things, especially when we were new to the game).

With the pricetag, and the situation (i.e. not the player's fault in any way), it applies for reimbursement under the rules for such.

But... I hope that everyone reading can see just what kind of trouble a bit of dragging can do. ;) If only from this thread.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 12:51:14 am »
No need for the gold really or the horse I just want everyone to learn something from this. Kinda sad my horse is dead since I had it so long and since it wasn't me riding into battle or something stupid that killed it (I hardly used it so It wouldn't die)

But as long as people learn something from this I'm okay I guess...

hawklen

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 03:22:34 am »
That cockatrice of sorrow did not quench your anger! It was I, the words of power, words of faith! The father of the fatherless, the daughters of tears. For I, with the help the holy preserves of berries slew your anger with the breath of space.
May anger romp with the care bears of justice, and the my little ponies of righteousness!

And uh, yeah, who ever lead that thingy to the horse. Bad person bad! Go to your room. No supper for you

kuchida

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 10:38:29 pm »
    Cockatrices aren't far at all from Haven any more.. since the forest cuts through to the west of the Haven mines..  It's three screens at most I think, and one of them just runs across the top..

I just wanted to point out one other thing that could have happened which is someone with animal empathy might have dragged it out, then lost control of it, or forgot about it..  Or, told it to "stand its ground" not realizing it follows them to the next area  .. I know I see this happen some times and was guilty of it myself when I started here..  

I always thought there should probably should be a rule about dragging dominated animals out of their area (though at this point in new rules are probably pointless) because of things like this..

And sorry about the poor horse!

Eight-Bit

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 11:49:30 pm »
    If I may step out of the realm lf lurking, I have something that is useful.

My horse died more than everyones, ever. Thank Lucinda Paladins can get their mounts raised. However, for the rest of the population worried about their 15,000 gold investment and possibly even higher (but likely less) value of items on their Ox they should consider the location they leave them in.

First of all, any area is dangerous. You can't say that an area won't be dangerous, and even in No PvP areas, monsters can still attack. What you want to do is get smart with the placement of your horse and Ox.

I could of summed this up by saying, "Leave your Horse within sight of patrolling guards, but not so close that PCs will have to load it and get the lag fart."

Toodles.

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 12:13:53 am »
    Quick question, do horses and pack oxens vanish when you log off? It's hard to run my animals someplace safe when dearest Mother is calling for me to get my lazy butt off of the computer chair :)

Dorganath

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 12:21:13 am »
    Quote from: Interia_Discordius
    Quick question, do horses and pack oxens vanish when you log off? It's hard to run my animals someplace safe when dearest Mother is calling for me to get my lazy butt off of the computer chair :)

Yes they do disappear when their owner logs out.  Also, if the owner is on a different server than the animal, it never appears.  The exception to this is if you happen to be bugged in some way such that you have a duplicate horse or ox.  In this case, it is possible that the duplicate will persist after your character logs out, and that duplicate may be subject to all the risk of death, etc.  

This is rare, however, and is generally attributed to extreme lag and other weirdness.  In 99.9% of the cases though, one's horse and/or ox should disappear when the character logs out.

hawklen

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 01:30:03 am »
    Quote from: Eight-Bit
    If I may step out of the realm lf lurking, I have something that is useful.

My horse died more than everyones, ever. Thank Lucinda Paladins can get their mounts raised.

I said Sorry! And I did raise your horse...

anything