The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: A friendly reminder on luring and dragging...  (Read 595 times)

Dorganath

Re: A friendly reminder on luring and dragging...
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 08:35:39 pm »
The primary problems with dragging and luring are when:

a) People use this tactic to exploit the AI, perceptual range and game mechanics in order to avoid facing encounters the way they were intended to be faced.

and/or

b) Leave, whether intentionally or inadvertently, one or more creatures at a transition or other ambush point such that someone coming by later is assaulted and often killed before they can realistically react in self-defense.

Regardless of the specifics of the situation, these are the key issues.  Sometimes the latter case happens without a player knowing about it...or perhaps they did know about it and were able to escape.  The responsible thing to do is to let people know, if you see anyone going that way, that there may be an unusual danger awaiting.  This wouldn't be a problem if area transitions weren't very OOC and unfairly biased against the player.

Thankfully, the window of danger due to such circumstances is now relatively short.  Under normal circumstances, the creatures should reset themselves in order to end up away from the transitions and such.  Still, being aware of the issues and acting responsibly is the key, and it always has been.

ColtCommando

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 09:21:28 pm »
Actualy I usualy have a star dust of beyrl on me at all times, and have used like four or five of them for trips from Arnax to Mirtix and back.

It just so happened I had used my last one on that nights trip >.<

darkstorme

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 11:49:17 am »
Bumping this thread as a reminder to those who don't know the rules. :)

Falonthas

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 12:06:19 pm »
also dont assume that the monsters will fall far enough behind and lose interest
as a cheetah i broke from combat with scorpions ran around the hill and then took off through the trans headed north
now little did i know these were genetically super ranger scorpions who could track through sand grass hillock and roadway

i found myself still being trailed upon entry to haven and kit had some fits till i could heal and then help finish them off

now up until this point i had never seen a spawn travel across five areas before in pursuit especially when the pursued is perm hasted with four paws at top speed

i was called on my retreat and hauling butt out of the desert as it was said i used kit to take care of them even though not intentional in the original action, yes i had used her to save my fuzzy tail in the end, and it made me feel bad after being called on it
i should have broken and tried to get to a spot to heal and use my spells instead of resorting to all out run for your life charlie brown

but i think since the last update now they dont use their bionic ranger tracking anymore and simply go back to their sandy wanderings, but of course i havent gone in to the desert in a while since then so they may be waiting for someone to think they will give up again

Eight-Bit

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 01:04:16 pm »
Sometimes the AI will get smart and an attack order will cause it to follow you until it can make the attack. It's annoying, it usually doesn't happen, unless you're outnumbered and near death. (not actually, of course. it just seems that way.)

While luring to NPCs is a technicality and a yellow or red flag if a GM catches you doing it, sometimes that is what happens and it's more "in character" in my opinion to flee (for most characters, the Paladin rule applies :) ) than it is to stand your ground and die.

So long as you take care of your mess, ensure the area transitions are clean after the fact, then I think it is fine. If you are irresponsible about it, forget about the mess you potentially caused, and leave them to attack people as they come through, you need to consider how you feel about a community in general.

Another thing is, if you can't take care of it yourself, please break character and send a tell to someone you know. Sometimes going OOC will save someone's day, and if the RP barrier needs to be breached even slightly to prevent your mistake or running from causing someone else stress, it's entirely worth it

Drizzlin

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2007, 02:19:22 pm »
Quote from: Eight-Bit
Sometimes the AI will get smart and an attack order will cause it to follow you until it can make the attack. It's annoying, it usually doesn't happen, unless you're outnumbered and near death. (not actually, of course. it just seems that way.)

While luring to NPCs is a technicality and a yellow or red flag if a GM catches you doing it, sometimes that is what happens and it's more "in character" in my opinion to flee (for most characters, the Paladin rule applies :) ) than it is to stand your ground and die.

So long as you take care of your mess, ensure the area transitions are clean after the fact, then I think it is fine. If you are irresponsible about it, forget about the mess you potentially caused, and leave them to attack people as they come through, you need to consider how you feel about a community in general.

Another thing is, if you can't take care of it yourself, please break character and send a tell to someone you know. Sometimes going OOC will save someone's day, and if the RP barrier needs to be breached even slightly to prevent your mistake or running from causing someone else stress, it's entirely worth it

Yeah there was nothing like training the mithril golem into Dalanthar or leaving it at the transit spot before the changes were made to those areas =P