The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Choppy Gameplay in Multiplayer?  (Read 711 times)

Teo

Choppy Gameplay in Multiplayer?
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:32:20 am »
Hey All!I posted about this months and months ago, but unfortunately went on hiatus before I was able to resolve the issue. Anyways... I've done my best to solve the issue, went through all the advice on the old post: http://layonara.com/threads/10164653-technical-difficultiesHowever, I've been unable to resolve the issue. I have tried the following- Checking and updating Drivers- Running compatability troubleshooting, trying different compatabilty settings.--- Running compatability troubleshooting seemed to solve the issue for a brief second, my character took just a few steps with no lag whatsoever, before immediately returning to the lagging mode. - Testing how the game runs in GM mode (It is just as choppy).The other idea I've seen suggested, both by Acacea and by a few other groups of people online, was to delete a recent windows update. Several KB codes were given including KB4013429 and Kb4015438. However, I don't see either of these updates, or any other I've seen mentioned, in my recent updates. Therefor, unsure how to pursue this solution as the particular updates don't seem evident. It's also worth noting I just performed the latest update of Windows 10 today, in a hope that it might fix the solution. It did not, but my device is as up to date on Windows as it can get. In addition, it's worth noting that this lag / choppiness (whatever you want to call it) only appears in online play. I've played through one of the single-player modules for fun in the last few days and the gameplay was flawless except for the following:- Character Level-Up screens were lagging in the same way that the entirity of multiplayer is lagging.Not sure if that is indicitive of anything... So the lag hits only in level-up screens of single player, and all of multiplayer. If anyone has any more suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure how to get the exact stats for my laptop (serial numbers and what not). But I'd like to get back to playing as soon as this can be dealt with! Thanks,Teo

silverblades

Check into your Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:55:32 pm »

Check into your Internet Service Provider could be dropping out. Or possible issue with your LAN drivers / card.

you can check to see if its your ISP by taking your computer to a friends house and try playing there. If it works great its your ISP or some connections in your house.

if its still lags check you LAN by downloading / uploading large files and see if its dropping out.  My sons friend had a laptop that had a bad LAN card that would come and go. Replaced a $15 card that was better than the original and was good to go.

There can be only One.

Teo

Silverblades, what do you
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:09:43 pm »

Silverblades, what do you mean by "dropping out" on large files? I actually had issues downloading the latest hak file when it was released, due to it getting halfway through the download before it would stop trying to download, and the file would be "corrupted" or whatever and unable to extract. 

However, I've had no difficulties uploading large files like videos to youtube (1 hour +, so pretty big files)

Could the hak thing be indicative of a bad LAN card?

Thanks,

Teo

Teo

Alright... Updates on the
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:00 pm »

Alright... Updates on the situation. Still not getting it to work, no noticable improvement.

I redownloaded the entire game to see if there was something wrong there, to no avail. However, did manage to figure out a few things in the process:

While my internet is slow, it was able to run the large-ish downloads from GOG.com. Although partway through the second file, I went to a friends house to use their internet because a 6 day download time was a bit too much for me. 

I got everything set up at his house, and logged on to see if the solution was fixed. Despite being on a much faster internet connection, the severe lag remained an issue.

So... Not the internet is what I've been able to conclude, and the computer was able to handle the big downloads, which I believe means not the LAN card, although I may be mistaken on that due to my ineptitude with computers. 

Thanks,
Teo

EDIT: Also, it appears the escape menu (options, return to main menu, etc) is also running very slowly, even in the single-player mode.

silverblades

Teo wrote:Silverblades, what
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:26 pm »

Quote from: "Teo"&cid="2763068"

Silverblades, what do you mean by "dropping out" on large files? I actually had issues downloading the latest hak file when it was released, due to it getting halfway through the download before it would stop trying to download, and the file would be "corrupted" or whatever and unable to extract. 

However, I've had no difficulties uploading large files like videos to youtube (1 hour +, so pretty big files)

Could the hak thing be indicative of a bad LAN card?

Thanks,

Teo

"Dropping out", loosing connection to internet.. if you have a dual monitor setup   bring up a second window to view your internet connection.

You said  you had Windows 10 but but I am using windows 7 as my reference here, but sohould be roughly the same.

do the following---open a control panel, network and internet, network and sharing center, here you should be able to see your computer connected to the internet,  start the game and play while  watching if you loose connection at any time.

There can be only One.

silverblades

1. You might have
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 12:13:52 am »

1. You might have a background program running thats causing interference somehow. . do a CTRL+ ALT+DELETE, and get to Task Manager to see what programs are running in the background. shutdown everything that looks familar, like programs that you may have installed, even printer programs. Some  video /CPU  monitor programs  things like this typically have their  own window might running in the background but minimized on your task bar on the bottom right of your desktop, this area will also show you all programs that are running in background.

Ive had issues where my view screen would jump back and forth between game and task for my video card monitor when I started the game. It would usually crash the game in the process. I had to shut down the monitor before playing.

If you can figure it out by watching some Youtube videos.

2. Try starting your computer up in safe mode. This starts your computer with the barest of essential programs to start your computer.  Once up you can start the LAN device,( which may or may not be disabled in safe mode). You can check this by going to your home page on the internet. If you can get there your internet is running,  then start the game.

3. Do you run any antivirus programs like Norton, McCafee etc..? Sometimes these are like a virus because they are so restrictive on what they allow you to do. Some are almost impossible to disable to check if these are the culprit, but starting in safe mode might be your only chance at trying the game while these are disabled.

4. You could also have a virus on your computer watching your internet usage. thereby blocking/ hogging your internet speed, if you dont have any antivirus installed, or out of date.

Defraggler and CCleaner are good free programs for cleaning junk files on your computer and giving it a good defrag. This I highly recommend if you have never done it as you now have bits of files everywhere since you have installed and removed game files, moved files etc. What a hard disc does when it installs new files it drops them everywhere on the disk like someone coming into your room with a load of laundry and they proceed the throw out each piece of clothing into your room... OK files installed.. What a Defrag does is sort the laundry and put it in the drawers where it belongs in your room.

Windows defrag is pretty useless at least it was on Win 7. you can get these free programs just type the names in your internet searchbar. Also Iobit Uninstaller is a great tool for removing hard to erase programs from your computer, also free. Just be careful when you download these as they always have bloatware attached to it or  wants to make a new search engine for you. You can see this at the download window and uncheck the boxes that have these attached permissions to the download file.

5. And as a last resort if you have not tried it,  go back to a " Restore"  point on your computer, its like loading a saved  game in single player mode, only your computer goes back to a previous date and time.

Im not sure if Win10 has this feature even as Im still running Win7.  So if you have it try going back. I know on Win7 they made it much more difficult than WinXP was.

Something here should get you going.

There can be only One.