The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Alright, I Give Up - Help  (Read 678 times)

Chongo

Alright, I Give Up - Help
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »
I can't figure it out.  I've looked all over the place, reverted to old drivers... experimented with the CPU settings on the nwnplayer.ini, changed all the settings to mins in game.  Nothing works.

The game is running so choppy it's actually impressive.  And I can't seem to fix it.  Any ideas or help from the 10 gallon brains here would be awesome.

Here's what I've noticed:
- Movement is choppy, but consistent.  I'm not jumping all over, it's just got a bit of a strobe effect like it's at a half pace to what it should be picking up in frames.
- It gets worse with large groups and increased spell effects.  This leads me to believe that while I've come to abhor the speeds that qwest provides locally, it's not my connection speed, and instead something having to do with graphics.  (?)

Same computer as two years ago - even had a fresh ghost reformat back in November.  And it worked just fine back then.  It runs every other game I have just fine - DAO, DA2, ME1 and 2, Fallout 3... I can run those close to max in most instances.

So here's what I'm running:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/10/2011, 11:24:51
Machine name: HIPPOPOTOMUS
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.100216-1441)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: alienware
System Model: alienware
 BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
 Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+,  MMX,  3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
 Memory: 2048MB RAM
  Page File: 803MB used, 5182MB available
 Windows Dir: C:\\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
          Music Tab: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
        Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\\PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_C8153842&REV_A2
   Display Memory: 320.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
      Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0012.7533 (English)
      DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Let me know if any other reports would be helpful.

The driver I'm running right now is 275.33.  I've tried 260.99 and I also tried the forceware 169.13.  No real difference.

Here are some threads I checked out on the possible driver issue:
- Neverwinter Nights Low FPS - 8800 GTS - NVIDIA Forums
- http://forums.layonara.com/general-discussion/282422-new-pc-having-graphics-issues-w-layo.html
- Neverwinter Nights: Graphics card issue? Or worse? Help!!!
- Neverwinter Nights: Nvidia 8800 GTX
- Neverwinter Nights: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT low FPS
- Neverwinter Nights: 8800gts anyone?
- VN Boards - Nvidia 8800 fix coming mid-september
- Neverwinter Nights: 8800 Vid Card Users: Post here if you are having issues

The latter two bioware ones are for nwn2, not sure if its applicable to the discussion.

I maxed out my cache to 4092? I think, I tried changing the dual core CPU settings in nwnplayer.ini to 0, -1, and -2.  It's back at 0 right now... those settings didn't do much of anything.

Ideas?  Roll further back on the driver?  Other settings I could be changing?  Questions?

Thanks for lookin'!

Chongo

Re: Alright, I Give Up - Help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:04:39 pm »
Oh - and hi everyone!

Filatus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:31 pm »
There's this thread where G-452 had issues with a 8600 GT.

And darkstorme suggested OmegaDrivers.net | ATI/NVIDIA Omega Driver's Home, PC Gaming Drivers & News! for alternatives to the regular nVidea drivers.

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »
Yep or you could revert to a legacy driver for Nvidia. As your card falls into those specs. The 275 driver is what fixed my problem with my 240 gtx, but that was for white rendering of tiles. Try to get your hand on a legacy driver. Or wait for the promise fix in the Jun update.. which hasn't been released yet.

Chongo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 04:00:38 pm »
Quote from: Filatus
There's this thread where G-452 had issues with a 8600 GT.

And darkstorme suggested OmegaDrivers.net | ATI/NVIDIA Omega Driver's Home, PC Gaming Drivers & News! for alternatives to the regular nVidea drivers.

Yeah, I tried reverting to 169.13 from omega as I believe darkstorme recommended.  Didn't do anything.

Chongo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 05:21:13 pm »
Note: I'm maxing at about 35 fps, and if the parentheses on trace fps is average, I'm averaging 9 fps when running around.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:25:31 pm »
Do you have any overrides installed? Also, you may wish to do a fresh install, see how it runs without the haks (say, in single-player mode), then install the haks, and see how it runs after.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »
Also, from the bioware forums, you may try this with your 8800:

For those with an 8800 series card and slow framerates, especially around water scenes or scenes with environemental animation, I recommend using Nhancer, a third-party Nvidia profile editing utility.

It gives you finer control over the Nvidia profile options for your games. I found that using Nhancer to force NWN to only use a single core for OpenGL improved my framerate to playable levels.

If you are finding that the default Nvidia control panel profile editor doesn't seem to have an affect on your framerate when forcing NWN to run on a single core try Nhancer to do the same thing. Nhancer, for me anyway, has been more reliable at changing the options I want to change when compared with the Nvidia control panel.

nHancer - Advanced Control Panel for nVidia Cards

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »
And one more:

I just reinstalled NWN Diamond on my Windows 7 computer, also with a Nvidia 8800 GTS.

I was experiencing the same slow framerate than most in this thread (5 to 20 fps). My driver for the video card are 196.21.

I found that when I choose Miles Fast 2d positional audio I am now able to run the game at 30 to 40 fps.

From what I understand of the problem, Nvidia made some change to their driver that make some old game like NWN render some of the 3d graphic on the CPU instead of the GPU. That explain why people with really powerfull CPU still get good framerate. This also explain why using Miles audio instead of other 3d audio enable to get faster framerate. 3d audio run on the CPU which leave less CPU cycle to render the graphic.

This frustration to have only 30 to 40 fps on a system which should be able to render at 100 fps, but at least it is playable.

Chongo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 05:48:47 pm »
I've tried it without any overrides - same fps.  Currently running override free.

In the nividia control panel I: Turned off triple buffering and threaded optimization.  Changed mixed GPu to single screen performance.  Turned CPU to =0 in the nwnplayer.ini.  Turned texture quality to high performance, and did the same in the adjust settings with preview.  

Turned off everything in regard to in game graphics.  I *am* still running at 64 bit texture though as I think that's the only one I installed.  That's my next step I think.  Reload with all textures and try those.

I've tried the following drivers: 260.99, 275.33, 169.13, and 160.03.  The last gave me the black screen treatment.

Filatus

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:08 pm »
You should actually try the sound thing, I know I have had issues with that in the past.

Chongo

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:51:21 pm »
Alright... here's an interesting one.  Saw in one thread that changing the sound to miles 2d positional audio would raise fps.... and it did!  Averaging between 15 and 35 fps now... which is at least playable.

*edit* You beat me to it.

Chongo

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 06:46:24 pm »
Okie dokie - hopefully this will be my last post on the issue:

- Turned on miles 2d positional audio ~ drastic change, no more stuttering
- Went back to most recent nvidia driver (275.33) ~ substantial change coupled with the audio fix, up to average of 50ish fps
- Turned off threaded optimization
- Turned texture performance to balanced
- In game - maxed out most graphics options, AA and vsync are off, so is the last one - forget what it is.  Shiny water is on... doesn't seem to negatively affect it.  Shadows and textures are turned back up.

Averaging between 25 and 80 fps in fairly graphics heavy areas like blackford castle.  So... it seems to be functional again.  Should be in the hundreds, but this will certainly work, and is a totally different game from before.  Posting this closure peice in case anyone else with a 8800 has similar problems.

Thanks for the help folks.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 07:00:23 pm »
Hey, welcome back.  Great to see you in game again.

lonnarin

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
WHOOOHOO!  Missed you man.  Always wanted Kurn to meet Ketilbjorn.  His twinbladed dwarven style was a major influence in my making him.  In style anyhow, in personality he's more of an ultra-violent, greedy, despicable pirate who exemplifies the worst traits of dwarvenkind taken to an extreme.

Oh yeah, and Farros FINALLY went epic, after hmmm, 7 years? 8?  Time to go hunting.  You've been away far too long, and this time I get to show YOU a few new awesome areas. ;)

Now if they'd only bring back monstrous submissions so you could join our goblin tribe...

Drizzlin

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:36:50 am »
hey chongo =) Gluck with the computer...

When in doubt, smash it and buy another one...

willhoff

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 01:55:14 am »
Curious how you know how many FPS (guessing this means frames per second) your computer is running  :\

Chongo

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:44 am »
~trace fps

It's annoying after a while.  I still don't know how to make it go away without reloading.

:)