The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bard Skillpoints  (Read 622 times)

thekevmon

Bard Skillpoints
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:42:29 am »
I just got a bard approved and was making him on layonara, but his skillpoints don't match what I thought he should have. I checked the LORE page, which states they get (6 + Int modifier) skill points, but I was only getting (4 + int modifier) skill points (which is stated in the in-game class description for bards). The only other record of this I could find was in the Layonara v3.2 update description, which had the same description as LORE (6 + int). I'm not really sure if this is a bug or what-not, just figured I'd post something up to see if this is how it's supposed to be or if I'm special.

Lance Stargazer

Re: Bard Skillpoints
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:57 pm »
Greetings Thekevmon.

Unfortunately Bioware made the character creation too hard coded so the start allotment of Skill points can't be changed at the creation at lvl 1. But you are supposed to earn the 6 cp allotment on the subsecuent levels of the class,

Is this the case ? or you still getting 4 on the rest levels past 1?

Thank you,.

thekevmon

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:44:18 pm »
I haven't actually made the character yet, as I was hoping to get this resolved before I did anything major to my character, so I'm not sure about the subsequent levels.

Also I made a test mod that I applied Layonara hakpaks to (just to test out potential character builds and ensure I could meet the Layonara requirements), and when I make a new character there I get the proper (6 + int) number of skillpoints (which is why I noticed the discrepancy to begin with). I totally understand if it can't be fixed, but it is rather curious.

I guess another question would be if there is any way I could contact a gm to boost an additional two skills to where they would be if I had started with the LORE-described number of skillpoints?

Thanks

Lance Stargazer

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »
What do you mean by "boost an additional two skills" ?

If you don't want to disclose publically, you can send me a pm.

thekevmon

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 01:02:30 pm »
I'm just wondering, if I make my character using only the (4 + int) points, could I get a gm to set my ranks in two additional skills (of my choosing) to 4 (or 2 if they are cross-class), as if I had made him with the (6 + int) number of skillpoints?

For example, if I wanted to at first level (hypothetically, of course) take:
Appraise 4
Bluff 4
Concentration 4
Craft Armor 4
Craft Weapon 4
Discipline 4

As it stands, I would only have enough skillpoints to take four of the above six skills. If I were to take the first four skills as described, could I get a gm to set my ranks in Craft Weapon and Discipline to 4 as well?

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »
Quote from: thekevmon
I guess another question would be if there is any way I could contact a gm to boost an additional two skills to where they would be if I had started with the LORE-described number of skillpoints?

Thanks

We can't really grant additional skill points than the engine already grants without running the risk of having an illegal character.

Dorganath

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:20:14 pm »
Also, bear in mind that Craft Weapon has no real meaning or mechanical benefit anymore.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »
What is your character's INT and how many skill points is it saying you get?

thekevmon

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »
I am starting off with 24 skillpoints: 16 (4*4) for being a bard, 4 (1*4) for having INT 12 (+1 modifier), and 4 (1*4) for being a human (racial bonus).

Dorganath

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:33 pm »
What's likely happening is that the 6 points + INT mod is Layo's own custom content, and NWN does not load a server's custom content during character creation. It only loads it once you actually pick a character and enter the game.  This is a "feature" of NWN and something we're rather powerless to change.  It's the same reason why our custom PrCs have odd names at the character selection screen and why people cannot see our custom heads during the character creation process unless they're duplicated into the override folder.

So the bad news is that you're only going to get 4*(4 + INT mod) skill points at level 1.  The good news is that you'll get 6 + INT mod skill points for every level after that.