The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: who here has the best computer?  (Read 117 times)

bobby1361

who here has the best computer?
« on: December 01, 2007, 03:32:48 am »
Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 312 GB
Video Card: Radeon X1600 Series
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio rear output
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: table
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Who can beat this?

Tanman

Re: who here has the best computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:29:42 am »
8bits setup
http://forums.layonara.com/714422-post6.html
Have to ask about his HDD. But its easy to get 500GB HDD nowadays

Weeblie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 04:48:02 am »
Define "best" first... heh... :)

I've currently access to 3 quite fine computers, where two of them are currently running as servers. Usually, when one's comparing one computer with another, one checks which of them have higher scores in various benchmarking programs. In such a case, I would pull a few components from each computer as all of them have something better than the others...

For graphic card benchmarks, I'm kind of out of the game... well, I have a quite nice card and it's price-worthy... but it's a little bit "last year".

For overall system performance, I would simply pull out the hardware RAID array out of one of my servers, push it into my main computer... configure it for RAID-0 with the four 500 GB drives which gives it a superior performance in the HD-benchmarks (okay... it's probably beaten by two Raptor disks... but those are horribly expensive!).

To further increase performance in an overall system benchmark, one would likely try to overclock one's CPU (as those tend to be the primary thing that gets benchmarked...). For the moment, I have the Q6600 running at 3.0 GHz on each of the four cores in a dead stable state (actually running it at decreased voltage... rather unusual!). For benchmarking purpose, I'm fairly certain that I could push it up to about 3.4 GHz which is hard to beat without paying lots of money on the high end quad core processors. Oh... and with a better stepping, it should be able to get to about 3.8... not that I recommend it to anyone running it 24/7.

So all in all, it comes down to... "best when? and best in what way?" :p

bobby1361

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 04:57:08 am »
besst at playing games :P

DMOE

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 04:59:13 am »
Quote from: bobby1361
Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 312 GB
Video Card: Radeon X1600 Series
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio rear output
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: table
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Who can beat this?

Why does it matter who has the best computer?

As long as people can do what they want to on their boxes.....That's all that matters really....

I know you probably thought this would be a nice bit of fun but if your someone running an old box because it's all you can afford and you have to scrimp and save to replace parts....I doubt it'll be much fun to see everyone's 'beast' of a PC listed here....

Weeblie

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 05:08:51 am »
There are currently only one game which requires a super powerful super high end computer to be ran: Crysis

Running it at "all options on" screams "eye candy"... and also "I need tomorrow's computer today". :p

bobby1361

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 05:09:08 am »
I see....topic can die then.

anything