The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Unique Character Concept?  (Read 333 times)

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
    Unique Character Concept?
    « on: January 12, 2009, 06:39:33 pm »
    Are there any left?!

Recent returner to Layonara as you can imagine... :(

ycleption

Re: Unique Character Concept?
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 06:55:43 pm »
    Even if by "character concept" you mean race/class/deity combo, I'm sure there's something there that hasn't been done, or has been done only rarely. I rather doubt that anyone has played a pyrtechonite aasimar druid, or an half-ogre cleric of ilsare... so there are certainly unique things out there, granted not all make sense to play :-)

With that said:

Little played races: gold dwarf, deep dwarf, sea elf, gray elf, orc, half ogre, ghostwise halfling, any type of gnome.

Unplayed or little played classes: arcane archer, champion of vorax, sacred fist, bear warrior, red dragon disciple, pale master. Granted, these are things to aspire to, but they're there.

Unplayed or little played dieties: Branderback, Deliar, Goran, Prunilla, Grannoch, Sulterio.

Any one of the above would make you, if not unique, than at least unusual, and some combination would definitely set you apart.

Weeblie

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »
    "Keep It Simple Stupid"-rule.

You would be suprised how "unique" of a character one can have by just keeping it simple.

My own character's (original) basic concept was an orphan elven girl who became a cleric of Aeridin, the naive sort of person. Pretty much one of those stereotypes which ironically made her unique among the PC population (at least from my own point of view :) ).

I personally think that all those dark elves who has killed their families, escaped from hell, has this great goal to conquer the world, and so on... just feel so very common, heh. Too "typical" of what all other players want too. ;)

Oh, by the way, did I mention that she's still a pure classed? While mechanically not being as good... going for straight rogue... straight fighter... or straight "majority of the classes" seem to keep one's character rather unique, especially if one continues with that on the epic levels.

I've found that character build has very little impact on the true uniqueness of one's character. Sure, creating an brownie will make you stick out per default, but will others actually remember your name a week after? Or does you just become "a random brownie"? Personality is what's important here.

The traits should be visible enough for others to easily snap up, building with a stereotype as foundation is generally helpful. Pure stereotypes are of course not good either, but if one modifies them a little, it could really make one's character stick in the memory of others. The Toranite knight who openly has this "women should remain at home and do shores"-view? Heh... I bet you wouldn't be forgotten for some time. :)

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:46:39 am »
    As an excellent article I once read put it, it's not the character, it's the quirks. :)

A personality makes a character unique - not an unusual build.  I've got a character who's an elven bard.  I don't intend to multiclass her at any point.  But she speaks only in rhyme.  There's a fighter in-game - plain old human fighter! - who's daring in battle, righteous... and speaks with a stutter.   (I won't tell you who, since you'll undoubtedly meet him.)  The half-giant who worships Rofirein?  The sultry pair of Xeenite priestesses?  How about a Mistite druid, or the quiet, self-effacing ranger who can up swords and go toe-to-toe with a giant?  Or everyone's favourite halfling monk, who hardly ever raises her voice above a whisper?

As Ycleption pointed out, we've got thirty-one races, eleven classes (and eighteen prestige classes), and twenty-eight deities!  Speaking in combinations of these alone, that's sixty-one hundred possibilities - and that's without multiclassing/prestige classes included.  Since we've only had about forty-seven hundred approved characters, that means that, speaking purely mechanically, there are still hundreds or thousands of unique characters.

But as Weeblie pointed out, and as I began my post, no two human fighters have to be alike either!  Two Lawful Good human fighters might come from radically different backgrounds - the one, a boy who grew up on the mean streets of Katherian, who picked on the other kids just to survive until a paladin of Toran interceded in a fight.  Driven thereafter by this image of justice, he aspired to that same calm power, to help others in his situation.  The other was born to privilege, and trained by the best tutors his parents could afford.  Leaving his house and family after a spat that left him disinherited, he sets off on his idealistic way to help "the common folk."  Alignment, race, and class, all the same - but these are radically different characters.

I cannot imagine that there will ever be a paucity of unique character concepts.  Just let your imagination loose! :)

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:59:01 am »
    Try a cleric of Goran, it's never been done before.

And based on your forum name, I am curious what your previous forum name was.

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:44 pm »
      Thanks people; you've given me some great things to think about!

;)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:32:10 pm »
      Just don't try the angry and disrespectful child of a deceased Adventurer...  They aren't very popular...

ycleption

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:18:56 pm »
      I should note that I completely agree with Weeblie and Darkstorme... a human fighter can be a unique character; my reply was only addressing a limited notion of character concept.

Angelic

• Followers of Grannoch
        • View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:12:45 pm »
      Quote from: EdTheKet
      Try a cleric of Goran, it's never been done before.

Whataboutlittleoldmeme? O.o

EdTheKet

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 04:20:10 pm »
      Quote from: Angelic
      Whataboutlittleoldmeme? O.o

Oh! And here I am stating for years it's never been done before!

My apologies, so it was done once!

Link092

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:04:45 pm »
      The simple fighter is a good way to go. I had a -human- Deliarite that I never had intentions of multiclassing, but interestingn RP led him to the wizard class.... which ruined some little plans to become a deliarite preist, but that was an after thought... :D but brownies are still cool.... :p

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 06:30:27 pm »
        Hehe, you see! And there was me searching the archives for a gnomish priest of Goran ;)

I 'actually' enjoyed reading that character write up :(

*edit* Yeah brownies look cool; the term brings back fond memories of hours spent playing the original Mythos games; Magic & Mayhem

Asmodean

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 10:42:31 pm »
        Just FYI, Ed...  Thief of Navarre could refer to that classic 80's movie of Ladyhawke, in which Matthew Broderick was the thief, and Navarre was played by Rutger Hauer.... ;)

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
          « Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:27:00 am »
          Quote from: Asmodean
          Just FYI, Ed...  Thief of Navarre could refer to that classic 80's movie of Ladyhawke, in which Matthew Broderick was the thief, and Navarre was played by Rutger Hauer.... ;)

Haha, how many times that has been said before! funnily enough its not that but from a Square Enix game called Seiken Densetsu 3 published in 1995 in which Hawk (a thief & possible reference to Ladyhawke?) is one of the protagonists from the desert land of Navarre.

Thanks for your ideas guys & girls, Ill have a think when I get a minute to string together and submit a character for approval :)