The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Bad things....expensive things.  (Read 116 times)

Vyris

Bad things....expensive things.
« on: January 23, 2006, 06:52:42 am »
I had to run out Saturday night and go rescue my wife, who had locked the car keys in the truck when she went grocery shopping, got back and went to fire up NwN.. whir whir whir, nothing..*hmm* thats odd, try again... whir, whir, whir... error message.

Well, to make a long story short, everything I tried to do resulted in a corrupted file, I rebooted and that just made it worse. the OS wouldn't work. ran a disk scan program and got my answerd, seems my HDD was deteriorating rapidly.

Well, after removing my HDD from my computer I could see why, the outside case is cracked, and I imagine theres quite a bit of dusts thats been sucked into it. The good folks at Seagate were kind enough to send me a postage free service envelope, and I'm sending it off today for replacement, but...

2-5 weeks is their turn around time. I don't have room on my back-up drive for the programs I need to make money, NwN, AND the operating system... so... guess whats not installed.

I'll see everyone in 2-5 weeks.

Vyris

mumbles

RE: Bad things....expensive things.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 07:03:07 am »
sorry to hear rthat mate Dweten will miss chatting to Wallen , I hope you get it sorted soon andHe will see you when you get it sorted.

feniox

Re: Bad things....expensive things.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 07:03:09 am »
That really does suck. I hope you get it sorted soon.

On the upside, you only lost NWN, I lost my drive in mid-december too, though I was too stupid/lazy to back it up so I lost all my work from the last two years (a book I was writing, and endless amounts of songs), as well as all my expensive recording software.

This is why I hate computers :(

NEXUS7

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 07:27:55 am »
Loseing data has been the bane of my life, I have lost some big stuff.
You can call me parinode but what I do now is have a M60 dell laptop, it has hard drive, I have 2 thats right 2 USB 80G back up drives
One with work on and one with all my Docs on. I have A DVD barnner in the laptop (Note DVD ROT!)
and do more back ups there, I have a 2g PCMCIA card in the laptop for HOT data
and last of all when I pop it on our network the hole lots backed up there to.

My email is backed up ion three servers as well.

There is nothing in the world that gets you down more that losing years of work.

Get a USB hard drive asap and a DVD barnner.

:O)

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 08:07:50 am »
Good luck Vyris.

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 10:25:50 am »
Sorry to hear of your bad luck and disreguard that PM I sent just let us all know when your back.

And don't get any crazier than you are now ;)

Variable

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 03:17:09 pm »
Not a good situtation, Good luck with your repairs and I hope it is closer to 2 weeks than 5.