The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Balance caster/none caster  (Read 1071 times)

akata

Balance caster/none caster
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:56:48 am »
Caster vs none caster, this is my view of balance between casters and none casters on Layonara, let me start of by saying that I don't think you can ever make them even in regards to soloing. Why? From the simple fact that soloing=crowd control.
 This is the casters tools for it LORE: Encyclopedia of Spells and this the melee's tool LORE: Knockdown

that is of course rather bluntly put. Yes I left out devastating critical, from the simple fact that there isn't a player that has achieved the feat yet, secondly you can't get the feat till level 28 as a half-orc and 32 for races with a starting strength of max 18 in short meaning your utterly depend on caster or quests from 15ish and up. Going for quest then you likely won't make it in the nwn version, if you're lucky enough to travel with a caster regularly then it won't matter, you're character have access to the wards needed to survive
Some time ago (V3 I think) there was a much needed revamp of the spells in layonara, in general making the evocation school useful on epic levels again, and thereby making it possible for casters (mostly arcane casters) to be useful in a group without the use of instant death magic. I think it's time the same happened to the none-casters. The trick is.. how to do it with the least amount of work? Because let's face it, the team already got their hands full with the mmo. :D  

So I put on my thinking cap, rework all spawns making them smaller as suggest hmm sure but would in my opinion make the world a boring place when you're in a group, and it sounds like a huge work load as well.
Even if I do agree that the mob spawns is the number one reasons none casters can't solo (or travel in groups without a caster). I'll give an example Angela my level 40 melee has a ac of 51 unbuffed and deals out hmm around 14d6+ enchantments and strength etc (when sneak attacking). so clearly one on one she can hold her own, against a mob.. no way. I can't even take her into the first area in the deep, dark elves and spiders at around CR 20, and that is even though I can raise her AC to 60ish put up a shadow shield to get 50% miss chance and immunity to necromantic spells and death magic as well as mind immunity (gear) and an improved evasion reflex save on 50+ all in all making her completely immune to their damage spells. The fact is that the 10 dark elf rogues will surround her and with 7 attacks per around from duel wield will roll enough 20ish to kill her. Not only that but the time and the items (scrolls, scales) is making the risk/cost vs. reward to great.

I don't want to see casters nerfed, the changes to the Screechings in the Great Forest was a good start, the amount of spells a caster has to use balance out the risk/cost vs. reward (In my opinion) but is only dealing with half of the problem, it balance out the spawns for the casters not the none caster. But if none-casters should be able to travel around without a caster (In my opinion they should be able to but leaving the decision in the hands of the team as I'm not the one that will have to dedicate the hours into it, that is needed) then there are really only two choices

1: redo all spawns made for level 17 and above
2: change items to reduce the difference between a buffed and unbuffed character.

The problem is that the current spawns on Layonara are all build for groups with a caster in them. Meaning a spawn build for level 20 is build assuming your none-caster have a +4 weapon, buffs on stats, immunities to mind spells and death wards (due to the lack of clerics, healing potions and so were made more potent reducing the need to travel with a cleric)
Since there already is items' adding to stats, granting immunities etc, then the logical step would be to up weapon and armors something like this.

Weapons (meaning melee range, gloves or whatever a none caster uses)
+0 raised to +1
+1 raised to +2
+2 raised to +4
+3 raised to +6

Armors (same here all types of armor)
+0 raised to +1
+1 raised to +2
+2 raised to +4
+3 raised to +6

This in effect completely removes the need for gwm/mv and makes the gear follow the curve that layonara's critters are assuming you have,  since we haven't touched stats or immunities then a spawn is still going to be at the very least a huge challenge to any none caster.  Now, for the people arguing that this won't make the problem of soloing better. Then you're completely right, on the other hand that is not what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to put balance between casters and none caster in regard to how the spawns are now on Layonara. Doing these changes will in my opinion give none-casters a fighting chance to do the same as casters can, Solo in a way where risk/cost is balance out with the reward or travel in a group without the need of a caster to ward them.
So for me balance comes down to this:
Should a player be able to solo?

if the balance between risk/cost vs. reward is fair yes

Should all classes at the very least have a fighting chance to do it then?

YES YES YES! Imo Layo's problem isn't that a caster can solo it's that a none caster can't

If your answer instead is no, players shouldn't be able to solo at all:

Added a few creatures to every spawn, give them 50+ in all saves, true sight, perm haste, immunity to mind spells and 1000+ hp. That will add a creatures your caster can't kill with spells but a buffed up melee can with the cost of a lot of healing

Another option is to do a complete remake of every single spawn, making them in a way that a none caster can deal with, but that will also mean you need to reduce their number or people who can group with a caster is going to fly though the xp chart at the speed of light.

In my opinion the best choice is to up gear as suggest in my post so it reflect the spawns as they are already build, it would also mean that your crafter no longer feels frustrated over the xxxxx hours he/she used perfecting a craft are in a mechanical sense useless since your fighter is better of getting a bronze weapon and have a gmw cast on it. It will push the balance between a caster and a none-caster closer to equal (casters would still hold the advantage)
Of course.. all this is assuming that the team have the time to make these changes :)
Feel free to comment, I'm looking forward to hearing it

~Akata

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Balance caster/none caster
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:29:19 am »
Basically, and please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly, you're suggesting that we increase the enhancement of weapon and armors because you believe it will be easier to do than to readjust every spawn as a fix to allow non-casters to solo?

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 11:32:36 am »
I'm not going to comment on the idea itself, at least not right now, but it's important to point out that raising the enhancement on weapons and armors will also increase the level requirements for them as well.

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:39:43 am »
but then it can be brought down to the original value, with an item value reduction no?

Dorganath

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:23:55 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
but then it can be brought down to the original value, with an item value reduction no?

In theory! It's not a precise system and kind of a pain to use, to be quite honest, in part because item values sometimes differ between toolset and game.  It's only intended for special cases anyway.  Point is, just an item-for-item replacement would be twice as much work as it seems because of this alone.

Chongo

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:56:48 pm »
Changing your AC/AB won't do anything akata.  As you said, the rogues with 7 attacks eventually roll enough 20's to kill you.

Decrease spawn size to a max of 4.  Think it through.  Done deal.

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »
I agree in most of this. Realy the weapon and armor system is in some way broken. And remodelling the stats on them would make things more balanced.

But I don't think that making armours and swords better will make a big difference regarding making it possible for high lvl fighters to solo.

I'm sure that most fighters here don't ask for much but it would make a big difference to be able to take on a few challanges here and there in the world without being smashed instantly when you are on your own. I defently think that most areas should be impossible to solo if you are a fighter but as it is now for fighters there are pretty much nowere you can solo/kill a single creature and get a decent amount of xp for it if you are high lvl fighter. If you don't like rolling the dices against the soulmother for a few houndred xp then you need a spellcaster to buff you up and ward you and point you in the right direction.

One way to avoid redoing all the spawns on layo is to add small spawns, 2-3 creatures that are build in ways so fighters can handle them in the outer ranges in alot of areas. Challanging but doable. These can be picked of by sneaking rouges and tuff fighters whithout getting a whole mob of 10 creatures swarming you.

Also non magic areas. Maybe add 1-2 dungeons/caves that are non magic areas. These dungeons should be placed so most fighters and avery rouge could sneak/ get to them and test their skills in :) As many stated before the it should also be more challanges for rouges so maybe put som rooms with locks and areas in these caves/dungeons with traps and so forth..

Thunder Peaks was great but it doesn't need to be that grand.. just a few places to go to would make a huge different.. :)

davidhoff

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 02:57:49 pm »
On balance between caster and non-caster, I agree with what Akata said first off, a caster will always be more powerful because their ability to control a crowd (via stun or kill, etc).  This is the way it should be in my opinion.  Does this create an inbalance? Yes it does.  Do I see a problem with that? No I don't.  Caster's use magic, and magic is very, very powerful; Fighter's don't have magic and must depend on their equipment, sword, armor and skill.

I like to close my eyes and picture being in that midevil time period, pick a book you've read or a movie you've seen (sadly the only two I can think of are Excalibur and Lord of the Rings) and try to get into the scene.  Fighters can only swing those heavy swords so many times before they get tired, they get cut, bruised and must fight each enemy until that one enemy is dispatched.  Magic though, overrides all this and is very special and powerful.  A caster can study his enemy and find their weaknesses and exploit those weaknesses; they can call upon fire, ice, wind, water, acid, stone; they can kill and stun large groups; the list goes on...

I don't think Layo should be nerfed or changed to allow fighters to solo.  To me that goes against all that is neverwinter nights and dungeons and dragons.

Fighters are a very powerful class.  Although they may not be able to solo like a caster, when in a group they are the true heroes.  Most of the serious adventures I"ve been on came down to the fighters up front cutting and slicing through the enemy and taking on enemies that a caster would not dare to tackle.  The mages may help control the battle, but the fighters are the ones making most of the kills and keeping the group safe and moving forward.

I'm not a big fan of soloing.  I think it's boring and it can be very scarry and dangerous.

I would like to see some better equipment for the fighters though.  Maybe some +5 armor and weapon drops could be designed and put into the drop list; or maybe by crafting we could make +5 enhancments (ex: alchemy: make something like we have for silver and titanium, instead make it a combination of mithril ignots, emeralds and rubies to apply to a weapon to give it +5)(ex: enchanting: mithril, emeralds and rubies to make something to apply to armor to give it +5 like we have for elemental resistances).

I have no problem with redesigning certain areas to make them better suited to soloing non-casters or groups of non-casters.  One place comes to mind is Vanovar.  I was there about a month ago and it seemed like a nice big area, has a cave, etc., but the creatures there were fairly weak.  You could redesign that area to put some quality ore in the cave and change the creatures in there to have very high SR, spell mantles, or very high saving throws etc.

My thoughts on this one

akata

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:53:38 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
Basically, and please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly, you're suggesting that we increase the enhancement of weapon and armors because you believe it will be easier to do than to readjust every spawn as a fix to allow non-casters to solo?

Yup, although I'll admit that soloing might be a "slight" exaggeration, at least not without taken a risk.  

Quote from: Chongo
Changing your AC/AB won't do anything akata.  As you said, the rogues with 7 attacks eventually roll enough 20's to kill you.
Decrease spawn size to a max of 4.  Think it through.  Done deal.

Decreasing spawn to max 4 does raise a other question.

XP compared to time spend online:
I'm here assuming that spawns currently are build to reflect the teams view of xp earned vs. risk. If you remove +50% of all spawns you'll need to look into the xp you get from them as well, Or script a system that place spawns compared to people in party. If you mean taken the same size spawn and just splitting them up into smaller groups in the same area (a la what was done to the screeching in the great forest)then that only increase the number of spells needed for a caster to solo.

*grins* I guess I could have saved the text and just written you down as in favor of redoing spawns :)

willhoff

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:13:59 pm »
Seasoned fighter types should have the ability to aquire +5 weapons without the need for gmw.  It is their trade and their life blood.  They shouldnt have to depend on a spellcaster to give them gmw to defeat the damage reduction you find on many higher level creatures.

One idea is give high level weapon crafters the ability to enchant adamantium and mithril.  An enchanted adamantium sword would have an enhancement bonus of +4.  An enchanted Mithril sword would have an enhancement bonus of +5.

Dorganath

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 04:54:50 pm »
Quote from: akata
XP compared to time spend online:
I'm here assuming that spawns currently are build to reflect the teams view of xp earned vs. risk. If you remove +50% of all spawns you'll need to look into the xp you get from them as well, Or script a system that place spawns compared to people in party. If you mean taken the same size spawn and just splitting them up into smaller groups in the same area (a la what was done to the screeching in the great forest)then that only increase the number of spells needed for a caster to solo.

XP is based on CR of the creature killed vs. that of the killer/party.  The encounter system does support variable size spawns, which is dependent on party size and level.  I personally prefer a variable-sized spawn rather than one that always produces a fixed number of creatures regardless of other factors.  Across the world, there are some places where the spawns are fixed and others where they are not.  

Anyway, once again just tossing in some extra info without commenting on the idea(s). :)

jrizz

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 06:29:44 pm »
How about just plain old de-nerfing Dev Crit. I really dont see how Dev Crit is any different then a caster using wail, weird, or PWK. Dev Crit gives a chance to kill a lot of things that are in a group, wail, wierd, PWK all give a chance to kill a lot of things that are in a group.

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:05 pm »
Quote from: akata
Yes I left out devastating critical, from the simple fact that there isn't a player that has achieved the feat yet, secondly you can't get the feat till level 28 as a half-orc and 32 for races with a starting strength of max 18 in short meaning your utterly depend on caster or quests from 15ish and up.

Kurn's working on that... ;)

And mages can solo.  They just get yelled at for soloing. :D

Still, the variety of spells are such that every mage's specialty can be different.  Annie for instance could NEVER solo because I specifically made her a defense caster, LG little brownie girl.  Every one of her spells are a buff or illusion of some sort, and she has a wee little constitution, so those fighters are 100% necessary to keep her from being a little squishy spot on the floor.  Practically harmless to monsters 1/4 her level one-on-one, but makes an army of frothing, belching, farting dwarves ready for Blood War 5.  More effective than any spell she casts however, is her endless supply of Ale and Mutton.  Those two are the best buffs a dwarf could ask for, like Popeye's Spinnach practically.

HooD!uM

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
I'm not going to comment on the idea itself, at least not right now, but it's important to point out that raising the enhancement on weapons and armors will also increase the level requirements for them as well.

I havent got any character past lvl 20 ( and only got yvale to 20 yesterday and thats since ive joined here) but i would like to know are there any armours/weapons/items that have a requirement over lvl 25 for every class? i think the highest ive seen for leather was 23 or around there and that was for either queen spider silk armour or ancient dire bear armour, and a yew tower shield i got at lvl 20, not sure what the lvl req was for it. So is that the high end "basic" gear i can look forward to? maxing my gear at say lvl 25, theres a 15 lvl void where we could have better items.

And dont start me on the druid class, oh my...i love my druid but when you go into say the rift and get smashed by one giant while ur in air elemental form is no fun, hold up ill drink my potion, oh , self using potions dont work here, hey but target ones do, oh wait, i cant use it, or bandages for that matter while shifted!!!! XX

LordCove

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 03:53:47 am »
Been rather hesitant to suggest anything here... but here goes.

One thing regarding raising Armour enchantment bonus.

The BaseAttack of a lot of spawns here is exceptionally high.
Casters thrive simply because they have the ability to give themselves 75% concelament from hits, and a wonderous Damage resistance of 20 against all weapons below +5. ( Greater Stoneskin )

Melee builds... well... they have neither. Caster's arn't even supposed to be in the front lines, and yet they can amass more Damage Resistance and Hit dodging abilities than the fighters.

Now a small AC increase "would" give them a little better advantage. However, as Dorg mentioned, jumping from a +3 to a +6 is going to teeter the level requirement on the ridiculous scale. Mithril at +3 with its lovely /- DR is already in the top of the 20's. And Enchanted Mithril at it's +30 lvl Req... well.. say no more.

That said, I always thought it unsual that, for example, a wager thin set of Mithril clothing ( lvl 22 req. Mainly for mages and DEX builds ) would have the same amount of Damage Resistance as a set of thick Enchanted Mithril Half Plate.

Robes of Energy.. A wizard robe... with a +4 Soak 10 Damage on it, in comparison to Enchanted Mithril Full Plates +3 Soak 10.

Perhaps raising the Armour class is not the issue. Fighter's are bouncing around in massive, huge sets of thick armour... but not really receiving the damage resistance they deserve from it.
Sure... they won't care if they still get hit as often... but they'll care if it looks like their massive set of armour is being of some use.

So... after taking a peek.

Adamantium Half Plate Armour
Level 15 Req
+1 AC
+1 Soak 5 Damage Resistance.

+1 Soak 5.
Lets face it. At level 15... that is useless. It will soak 5 points of damage from... copper weapons?

Adamantium Full Plate
+1 AC
/-5 Slashing Resistance
+1 Soak 5 Damage Resistance

Okay... now thats a little better. The slashing resistance is of some use now.

My suggestion would be not to raise the Armour Class of the current armours, but to raise the Soak level of Resistance on them.

I'm not great with the mechanicals, but I believe this doesn't raise the level requirement up quite so much.

Let Platinum be... +2 Soak 5?
Raise the Adamantium to +3 Soak 5.... maybe?
And let Cobalt be +4 Soak 5?
As for Mithrils... make it Damage Resistance Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning /- 10... right across the board.

Alternatively, there are several items in the current loot drops which allow for Damage resistance. Archers, Swordsmans and Bludgeoning belts. Very handy items at low levels, though rather useless once your actually able to find one yourself ( in the high tier loot drops )

Introduce one or two loot drops, designed and usable by "Melee" builds only which grant a certain set of Damage Resistance, specifically Soak.
Something much like the Cloak of Vestements ( +5 Soak 5 Damage ) but with a lower level requirement.

I suggest the Soak damage, as when a Stoneskin is cast on the person, the abilities will not stack, and the highest amount of +to Soak will be used.

So yes. No need to alter Creatures stats at all, and no need to alter current weapons and armour ratings.
Raise the Soak amount on current craftable armour , or introduce one or two items usable only by Melee builds to compensate.

My few pennies right there. :)

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 08:33:43 am »
Quote from: LordCove
As for Mithrils... make it Damage Resistance Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning /- 10... right across the board.

I agree in making armours better but making Mithrill have damage resistance /-10 across the board is to strong. This because when this is stacked with damage reduction it will be redicilous.

Example a Pure caster or fighter/caster splitt that have greater stoneskin will ignore the first 30 points of damage. Lets say he is fighting foes that makes 35 in damage when they hit. He can take like 100 hits.

An Dwarven defender at lvl 32 will have 22 lvls in DD thats 15 damage reduction + 9 from epic damage reduction + 10 resistance from mithril.
Thats 34 points of damage that he will ignore. Pretty much immune to mele since he also is immune to sneak attacks. At lvl 40 he can shrug off 40 ponts of damage. Its not many creatures on Layo that deals 50+ damage whithout sneak so with his 800 HP he could do anything :)

You might think that what big of difference is the last 5 points.. 10 instead of 5? The difference is HUGE! The DD at lvl 32 that is fighting foes that dealing in average 40 points of damage can take almost twice as many hits. He looses 6 instead of 11 HP every time he gets hit. And the 32 lvl DD have like 600 HP so there wouldn't be many creatures that could kill him.

Armour with resistance in my opinion should never be higher then /-5. However the best epic armour with damage reduction could, and should have atleast 10 of damage reduction :)

s0ulz

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 09:29:24 am »
Quote from: Frelinder

An Dwarven defender at lvl 32 will have 22 lvls in DD thats 15 damage reduction + 9 from epic damage reduction + 10 resistance from mithril.
Thats 34 points of damage that he will ignore. Pretty much immune to mele since he also is immune to sneak attacks. At lvl 40 he can shrug off 40 ponts of damage. Its not many creatures on Layo that deals 50+ damage whithout sneak so with his 800 HP he could do anything :)

You might think that what big of difference is the last 5 points.. 10 instead of 5? The difference is HUGE! The DD at lvl 32 that is fighting foes that dealing in average 40 points of damage can take almost twice as many hits. He looses 6 instead of 11 HP every time he gets hit. And the 32 lvl DD have like 600 HP so there wouldn't be many creatures that could kill him.

That is a naive way of looking at it, sure. First of all, I've aimed for something like this a long time and yes, a damage reduction build is powerful when surrounded by hordes of enemies or when AB is so high that AC doesn't matter.

However going for damage resistance requires heavy investment and basically makes you a one trick pony because of one serious flaw that melee characters of a tank archetype (DR builds) have - no CC. They have no way of keeping things hitting them, sure they can go in first, but after a few seconds the mob dissipates on your groupmembers and beyond KD there's nothing you can do.

So in this respect, every build is powerful is built to the extreme as per your example, however limiting your character like this is far from rewarding given the long pay-off period. That's also the reason why I think we've seen no Dev Crit yet, it's not worth limiting your character so severely for it.

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:52 am »
Quote from: s0ulz
That is a naive way of looking at it, sure. First of all, I've aimed for something like this a long time and yes, a damage reduction build is powerful when surrounded by hordes of enemies or when AB is so high that AC doesn't matter.

However going for damage resistance requires heavy investment and basically makes you a one trick pony because of one serious flaw that melee characters of a tank archetype (DR builds) have - no CC. They have no way of keeping things hitting them, sure they can go in first, but after a few seconds the mob dissipates on your groupmembers and beyond KD there's nothing you can do.

So in this respect, every build is powerful is built to the extreme as per your example, however limiting your character like this is far from rewarding given the long pay-off period. That's also the reason why I think we've seen no Dev Crit yet, it's not worth limiting your character so severely for it.

Yea I doubt we will ever see an Dev crit on Layo.

I'm not sure I completely getting what you are saying sOulz, what do you mean they have no CC and having no chanse of keeping things hitting them?

Anyway the way I see it getting to the higher ends of damage reduction is the most powerfull thing for a mele fighter type. High AC is good but as Akata earlier stated she got an PC that have extremly high AC, especialy buffed due to the double int AC modifyer.. She will eventually get hurt and hit anyway because of all the 20s they will roll will tear her appart.

The more regular build for example pure fighter or fighter/rogue splitt have neither High AC or damage reduction. So I think that armours that could be for better bennefits for those types but that will not help DD would be more balanced.

Lets say the fighter have an 10 soak armour and also There could be items that grant /-5 resistance. Totaly he shrugs of 15 points of mele. This wan't be extremly powerfull but it would be helpfull. The 10 soak armour wan't help the DD but he can instead use an /-5 resistance armour.

This will prevent the DDs getting so extremly high mele toleration but still help the regular fighter types to stand a better chanse in battle :)

s0ulz

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 10:57:06 am »
Quote from: Frelinder
Yea I doubt we will ever see an Dev crit on Layo.

I'm not sure I completely getting what you are saying sOulz, what do you mean they have no CC and having no chanse of keeping things hitting them?

Anyway the way I see it getting to the higher ends of damage reduction is the most powerfull thing for a mele fighter type. High AC is good but as Akata earlier stated she got an PC that have extremly high AC, especialy buffed due to the double int AC modifyer.. She will eventually get hurt and hit anyway because of all the 20s they will roll will tear her appart.

The more regular build for example pure fighter or fighter/rogue splitt have neither High AC or damage reduction. So I think that armours that could be for better bennefits for those types but that will not help DD would be more balanced.

Lets say the fighter have an 10 soak armour and also There could be items that grant /-5 resistance. Totaly he shrugs of 15 points of mele. This wan't be extremly powerfull but it would be helpfull. The 10 soak armour wan't help the DD but he can instead use an /-5 resistance armour.

This will prevent the DDs getting so extremly high mele toleration but still help the regular fighter types to stand a better chanse in battle :)

I'll try to be clearer.

What I was trying to say is that a melee lacks the tools to keep mobs occupied. He has no skill or feat to use to gain and keep the attention of a hostile creature.

Sure while soloing it doesn't matter as much as you'll be surrounded anyway, but all melee builds cannot be expected to perform equally good while soloing.

DDs have DR if built for it, but without a tanking mechanism they're actually sub-par companions, because they've sacrificed melee prowess (STR -> AB) to gain those few points of DR. Anything with rogue will be much more helpful in a party and even limitedly in soloing, a more vulnerable offensive build might just outlast through elimination.

So my point was that DD's have one thing going for them: Sneak Immunity. But even that is limited and can easily be negated.

Fighters in general would gain a lot from damage negation increases and given that there is no real mechanism to keep mobs on a DR stacked PC, there is no danger of overpowering any specific build either.

Frelinder

• Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 06:20:26 am »
Quote from: s0ulz
I'll try to be clearer.

What I was trying to say is that a melee lacks the tools to keep mobs occupied. He has no skill or feat to use to gain and keep the attention of a hostile creature.

Sure while soloing it doesn't matter as much as you'll be surrounded anyway, but all melee builds cannot be expected to perform equally good while soloing.

DDs have DR if built for it, but without a tanking mechanism they're actually sub-par companions, because they've sacrificed melee prowess (STR -> AB) to gain those few points of DR. Anything with rogue will be much more helpful in a party and even limitedly in soloing, a more vulnerable offensive build might just outlast through elimination.

So my point was that DD's have one thing going for them: Sneak Immunity. But even that is limited and can easily be negated.

Fighters in general would gain a lot from damage negation increases and given that there is no real mechanism to keep mobs on a DR stacked PC, there is no danger of overpowering any specific build either.

I get what you are saying now. It is so that the fighter classes in general have no tools realy to keep mobs occupied as you say. Thats the same for all mele classes. And the way it should be.

I think the main focus here was to find ways in making fighter classes a little better when soloing and not in partys.

Making better armours for fightertypes will help. The "weakest" classes are the pure fighter and the little better fighter/rogue splitt. Armour that will help them take a little more damage would be nice. DD builds are a strong in DR as it is. The curve in how DR progress in the end is massive.

Lets take another class combo instead of DD so you don't think I'm just picking on your class sOulz ;)

Fighter/Duelist/wizard: With mithril clothing giving/-10 He will have 30 ponits of DR with Greater Stoneskin. Thats simply to high..

At lvl 33 He can have the feat Epic warding and have 60 in DR and thats crazy.. Only for 2 minutes though but still.. Thats one long battle. In Tensers form (+ 10 AB), fully buffed, 75% concealment, High AC, hasted and so forth he would be pretty much immortal. Right having 55% as it is now instead of 60% Isn't a huge different. Both are on the scale ridicolusly high :)

The classes with high DRed.. will benefit to much from items that also grant /-10 resistance. My opinion and i fully understand you think different.

Unfair that armours with high DRed.. instead of high Dres..wan't be any good for DR builds? Well having other types of armours that will grant extra con, str or higher AC +5 or so that will help DD builds will adress that issue :) DD builds will still be much stronger/better then pure fighter when soloing..

*cheers*

anything