The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: LORE Custom Google Search  (Read 195 times)

gilshem ironstone

LORE Custom Google Search
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:04 am »
I have to say this is vastly inferior to the LORE query system before.  I hope there is a big upside to the operation for using the search because it drastically decreases the usability of the site in my opinion.

For example if I search "Summons", three results come up.  Epic Spell: Dragon Knight, Epic Spell: Mummy Dust, and Character Index J.  None of the pages on deity summons or arcane summons, censer of arcane devotion, in short, none of the pages really Layo specific appear.

I am sure that it will improve in time, but I just thought that the Team should know that the ease of use of the website is down right now.

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: LORE Custom Google Search
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:44:29 am »
I concur...  Very Bad.  You can't type in any character names to find their profile

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:32:45 am »
I was wondering if I had gotten something myself, and after 2 scans of not finding anything I'm glad to know that it's an addition to lore that I wasn't aware of. I have to conquer that it really doesn't help the searches at all.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:28:50 am »
By way of example, searching for "Hold Monster" does not bring up [LORE]Hold Monster[/LORE].

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:46:17 am »
Was there any announcement about this switch to google search?

Chazzler

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:04:00 am »
Also, when ever I click a Player's name on the Server Status window, LORE says the content is not available at that time.
Then when I click the Character next to the Player's name, it finds the character, and then when I click the Player-name in the LORE page of the character, it finds the Player's LORE profile.

Filatus

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:41:53 am »
It did bring up Aasimar. So my guess is that not all pages are indexed.

orth

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 05:18:57 pm »
Quote from: Chazzler
Also, when ever I click a Player's name on the Server Status window, LORE says the content is not available at that time.
Then when I click the Character next to the Player's name, it finds the character, and then when I click the Player-name in the LORE page of the character, it finds the Player's LORE profile.

The server status page was attempting to go to the wrong page.  That must have been a bug forever.  Had nothing to do with any search engine changes.

--

I'm not really sure why it's not coming back with the proper search results.  If you go to google.com and type in "site:lore.layonara.com summons" for example it works just fine, but doesn't seem to be right within our custom search interface. I had originally tested a few queries that seemed accurate but with the examples listed in the thread, I now at least have a good test bed.  Don't panic, it will be as good as or better than what existed.

Google has 10,500 pages indexed on lore.layonara.com.  If we can leave the searching up to the experts it will allow us to develop the next generation of LORE without worrying about a robust search solution.  Of course it also provides us with another income avenue.

LORE is visited by a lot of more than the NWN community.  It generates around 1000 search impressions a day for various roleplaying terms.  The more people who use the LORE Google Search engine the better the results become for outside exposure.

No announcement was made because I wasn't sure if I was even going to keep it.  I had meant to get to some more testing but was otherwise occupied with other things and figured the masses would revolt quickly if it was inefficient and I could switch it back off for later testing.

Anyway it's back to the old one, but may return to Google Search if we sort out the issues.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »
Hope you do because it sounds like a positive step for Layo studios.

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »
I agree, if you can fix the bugs that would be a great tool. Eventually though a better visual appearance would be great too, but that is very low in priority I guess.