The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: CDQ Question  (Read 43 times)

Germaine Lorn

• View Profile
    CDQ Question
    « on: July 28, 2005, 10:15:00 pm »
    Ok this might seem obvious but here goes.

I have read the "how to" guide to CDQ's.  That explains the mechanics.  I would like to know what are they for?  As far as I can tell they are for storytelling a charatcer getting a multi-class not specified in the character submission and/or prestige classes.

Is that correct, or do they have a wider use?  For example, are they for having quests that tie in with character backgrounds unrelated to character classes?  If so does the DM make a quest taken from the player background, or does the player give a quest idea to the DM?

Germaine Lorn

Dorganath

RE: CDQ Question
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:31:00 pm »
    Generically speaking, they are for developing one's character beyond what can normally be done by just playing normally and without GM intervention.  Sometimes it can be for adding classes not previously approved, but that's not their sole purpose.

One might request a CDQ to track down the survivors of his family, if they still exist.  Or one might wish to join a particular group, seek out a particular artifact, do research, and so on.  

In short, it's things you'd like your character to do (within reason, of course) that require GM assistance.

CDQs are requested by players, and as such, players give the ideas on what they would like to happen.  Now that doesn't mean that a CDQ will always succeed...because they won't.  The player supplies the context and the goals, and the GM makes it happen, but success or failure is in the hands of the character and whoever else he/she invites along.

Make sense?

Germaine Lorn

• View Profile
      RE: CDQ Question
      « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 07:05:00 am »
      Now I get it.  *starts furiously writing down ideas*

Thanks.

Germaine Lorn