The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: observations....  (Read 406 times)

observations....
« on: June 12, 2005, 09:53:00 am »
okay.... this one baffles me.....

i am in sielwood and i get some spider silk.  i am invis.  i have a summons who is battling spiders.  i walk far away, to the deer, half the area away.  my summons is killed.  the spider suddenly appears on top of me and kills me.... i lose 3600+ points....

another point...
i get a key to a rental place.  the key does not work.  everything i need and own is inside.  the owner isn't on...

add to that, i ask for help from a dm...  response:  sorry... sometimes the key doesn't work.. you have to get the owner to make you a new one....   heh.... thanks for the help....

interesting... very interesting....
where is the heart?
(just curious...

KageKeeper

RE: observations....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
Well, the spider could have easily been a phase spider. They can shift areas quickly.

Or perhaps it was a GM...one never knows. Sorry to hear about your death though. That is a bummer.

orth

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 10:03:00 am »

i am in sielwood and i get some spider silk. i am invis. i have a summons who is battling spiders. i walk far away, to the deer, half the area away. my summons is killed. the spider suddenly appears on top of me and kills me.... i lose 3600+ points....

it's called a phase spider

add to that, i ask for help from a dm... response: sorry... sometimes the key doesn't work.. you have to get the owner to make you a new one.... heh.... thanks for the help....

I was busy doing a quest.

where is the heart?
(just curious...

I'm sorry we can't all be there for you every single moment you have an issue.  We have lives.  We do this for free.  We have other people to consider.

You know what Murat/SilLumgah, I'm really tired of your hard luck attitude.  You seem to not be happy with anything that happens... what the heck do you enjoy about this world that's kept you here?

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 10:13:00 am »
orth - 6/12/2005  10:03 AM

i am in sielwood and i get some spider silk. i am invis. i have a summons who is battling spiders. i walk far away, to the deer, half the area away. my summons is killed. the spider suddenly appears on top of me and kills me.... i lose 3600+ points....

add to that, i ask for help from a dm... response: sorry... sometimes the key doesn't work.. you have to get the owner to make you a new one.... heh.... thanks for the help....

where is the heart?
(just curious...

I'm sorry we can't all be there for you every single moment you have an issue.  We have lives.  We do this for free.  We have other people to consider.

You know what Murat/SirGillumah, I'm really tired of your hard luck attitude.  You seem to not be happy with anything that happens... what the heck do you enjoy about this world that's kept you here?

how can a phase spider jump half way across an area and attack an inviable player?
i wasn't asking for you to drop everything and leap to my aid.  
hard luck attitude?  i see....
i enjoy the quality of the work that went into the place.  i enjoy that the cnr works.  i enjoy the RP (when i stumble on it)
and it's SilLumGah....

further.... this thread is titled "observations"   (not complaints or dump on anyone)  and it seems that i can't even do that, without getting negative feedback....

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 10:17:00 am »
another "observation":

i got a quest from captain gerent, and between the time i got it and was able to complete it, the level requirements jumped 3 levels.  

just out of curiousity... was/is there a "grandfathering" clause in there?  those who already had the quest could acutally complete it?

i got the quest as level 6.   i was able to get the head at level 7.  just before i get the head, the requirements go to level 10.   hehheh.... maybe it's just my "hard luck" attitude...
but...

ZeroVega

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
  The level requirement to do Captain Garent's quest is level 10. So if you were in a party with a level 10 or higher when you recieved the quest, it would aknowledge you as a level 10 aswell. However you won't be able to complete it until you're level 10. (Hence it seems like it jumped 3 levels)
    Also, I'd request that you use proper punctuation (at least capitolization), and clearly mark where on paragraph ends and another begins. Just hard to read what you're typing.
  ZV-

Leanthar

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 12:41:00 pm »
Guest, please log in so that we can see who is talking and maybe we can help you in game a little better. 
  Phases spiders can "jump across an area" due to lag or any number of reasons.  I guarantee a GM did not kill you just to kill you.  *sigh*
  The key to houses do indeed some times not work and you need to get a replacement key from the house owner... that is a fact and there is little we can do to help you on that.  Part of the "hazards" of not owning your own house.
    **EDIT--I found out who you were with the help of a GM**
  Clearly you are not happy and would rather vent on the forums for some reason... as can be show by these posts.
  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14096&posts=2  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13311&posts=7  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13519&posts=12  http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13429&posts=22

Vyris

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
I've had occasions where I was fleeing from something, my familiar was still fighting, but due to lag or whatever my familiar reached the end of whatever radius it decides it's max from me is and jumps to me instantly. Then 2-3 minutes later here comes some really P.O.'d Ogre to come pound on me out of nowhere. Bioware did a great job with about 95% of everything in NwN, this example is an example of the other 5%.

A hint for any low level mages out there, if you are collecting or travelling don't have your familiar lurking around, they will get you into more trouble than they are worth at low level. When fighting as a low level mage don't waste buffs on yourself, buff your familiar and any other summoned creatures you can muster.

Expiditious retreat is great for just that, getting out of dodge in a big hurry. The spell should last to get you out of an area well ahead of whatever hostile creatures you have tailing you, and then some. Keep two memorized just so you can get a good buffer zone if you want, it helps.

Invest some time in alchemy. The common stats for a mage compliment alchemy pretty well, make yourself some choking powder, it doesn't always effect everything, but it effects enough things often enough that it's worth packing a few around. And all you need are bug parts and flasks or pouches that you can buy really cheap. Alchemy is also a great money maker at higher levels for making weapon effect rods and such, healing potions, etc. lots of room for more alchemists on Layo.

Hope things settle down for you, your posts read as frustrated, and thats no fun.

Vyris

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
Choking powder saved talans life many times...

Qui_Z

• Followers of Lucinda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 03:43:00 pm »
Guest - 6/13/2005 2:13 AM
orth - 6/12/2005 10:03 AM
interesting... very interesting.... where is the heart? (just curious...
I'm sorry we can't all be there for you every single moment you have an issue. We have lives. We do this for free. We have other people to consider. You know what Murat/SirGillumah, I'm really tired of your hard luck attitude. You seem to not be happy with anything that happens... what the heck do you enjoy about this world that's kept you here?
how can a phase spider jump half way across an area and attack an inviable player? i wasn't asking for you to drop everything and leap to my aid. hard luck attitude? i see.... i enjoy the quality of the work that went into the place. i enjoy that the cnr works. i enjoy the RP (when i stumble on it) and it's SilLumGah.... further.... this thread is titled "observations" (not complaints or dump on anyone) and it seems that i can't even do that, without getting negative feedback....

"add to that, i ask for help from a dm... response: sorry... sometimes the key doesn't work.. you have to get the owner to make you a new one.... heh.... thanks for the help.... "
  "interesting... very interesting....  where is the heart? "
  You're getting negative feedback because people who spend tons of hours a day working on their world don't like sarcastic remarks. As you'll see, there are about 5 forums at the bottom of the site where people post their "observations" and don't get negative feedback.
  Phase spiders are a NWN creature that teleport. So yes, they can and do jump across the screen and kill you. Invisibility is a bioware bug that Layonara in no way can fix because it's hard coded.
  This is a computer game. It's built on a program that is full of bugs, even the largest companies make programs with bugs. The team tries to deal with these bugs the best they can, and they need to weigh situations. One person who needs help with a NWN bug, or a quest full of people. I think the answer is obvious. Trying to disquise rants as observations (because it's quite easy to tell you aren't happy) is pretty pointless.
  If you're serious about it, take it to the bug reports. Otherwise give the team a break. They in no way need rude remarks.

Leanthar

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »
*points to what Qui_z stated*  Exactly!!

Avenge

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 09:07:00 pm »
    heh, I think I can shed some light on the invisibility bug.

First of all, it's a bioware bug. The Layonara team has nothing to do with that.

Second, some creatures simply have the ability to see invisibility, or a mage in their faction recently cast see invisibility in that area.

It seems like you have a lot of problems with invisibility. If you're a soceror, unlearn the spell and get some thing like "Expeditious Retreat" to help you get away faster instead of sneaking around so much.

OR if you absolutely MUST be hidden, play a rogue.

Milo

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 11:00:00 pm »
    Phase spider can teleport right next to you if you try to run...yeah...my Beta 1 ranger was killed in Sielwood too in the same fashion

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 05:10:00 am »
    all very good and interesting answers...  fyi:   i am NOT unhappy here, regardless of how you look at the posts. further, i am NOT dumping on or complaining, per sey, but rather stating things on my mind at the time.   this will cease after this note and any replies to the other, older thread.  i am sorry that i am such a pain in the a$$ for some of you.  that, too shall cease.  as for the "guest" thing, i am supposed to be auto-logged in when i come here.  occassionally, it seems that the dchp server glitchs and re-issues my ip, while i am still logged in.  it happes very rarely, but it happens.

Fadrien Gweth

• View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
      Just wanted to say something dear. I can see by your last post that you may feel that everyone is taking what you are saying the wrong way and that you are just being an annoyance but I think the GM staff would agree with me that that is not the case.

Comments, frustrations, problems ect are always welcome as long as they are stated in a respectable manner. I know you may not have intended for your posts to come off any other way but others looked at it and saw it as being negative and attacking the hard work of others. That problem can be fixed however. I would simply suggest that whenever you wish to post a message, to just take a few minutes to look it over and see if there is anything in there that anyone might take the wrong way. And if there is then try to think of another, more appropriate way to phrase it. If you have trouble with it I know that there are many here that would likely be willing to help you. Just pm them with what you want to say and tell them how you want it to come off. Let them read it and make suggestions so that it will be recieved the way you wanted it to be.

But seriusly the worst way you can feel is that no one wants to hear your problems and so you should just shut up. It is not the case and if you dont make your opinion known then nothing will ever be done about it. Just be mindful when you do post is all. :) You'd be suprised how much respect you'll recieve.

anything