The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Common Courtesy  (Read 380 times)

akata

Common Courtesy
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:13:08 am »
A few thoughts after having read this thread
http://forums.layonara.com/leringard-arms-inn-tavern/245722-white-lily-proudly-presents-night-duels.html#post1425582

While there is nothing wrong is asking question in order to better understand any event, then do please bear in mind what is ooc and what is ic. In this case the post was made IC in a IC forum, but out of the 25 posts so far only 2 of them are ic, and frankly most of them are completely unrelated to the event and deals with rules regarding magic dead areas, which should have been taken up in either http://forums.layonara.com/layonara-server-rules/ or http://forums.layonara.com/ask-gamemaster/

Do please remember that there is a player who has taken time to make this, give him/her the same courtesy you would give a dm setting time aside to run a quest, or such events are sure to die out. And really, dont post links to different player events in the same thread, IMO that is extremely rude and belittles the effort the player put into the event. And read the event over before starting to ask questions a competition among fighters and those who think they can stand a fight in range of a melee weapon. Everyone is welcome for this even, may it be to attend as a fighter and prove ones skill with a weapon, or just to watch the combatants fight.[/i]

In this case I cant see how the player could have been more clear to his/hers intent, as already being said not every event is for every character, if the event dont fit you make one that does. All the more fun for us all, but please dont take it out on the person who actually bothered to try and make something fun

davidhoff

Re: Common Courtesy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:55:29 pm »
I want to say a BIG thanks to Weeping Lilly for organizing this event!  It is the first arena competition event I've seen posted ever (except Amanda and Wren's summon battle).  I'm sorry I couldn't attend.

I disagree as to defining the rules of engagement.  There are many, many variables that go into what is and is not allowed in a fight.  Most of these are much easier discussed in an OOC format.  In my opinion it's much better to hash these out before hand.  You don't waste time discussing it at the event, people know what they're showing up for, and helps avoid bickering about "oh she cheated" or "oh he can't do that", etc. while at the event.

But again....Thanks Weeping Lilly for the idea and your effort making it happen.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »

ycleption

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 07:42:07 pm »
In my experience here with these kinds of events, these issues are best dealt with in exactly the way they were dealt with. NWN has a lot of quirky rules, a lot of unique abilities, and having an explicit list (like what weeping lily came up with), is the best way to accomplish that. Regardless of the tone of the conversation (which I think may what you may be reacting to, akata), the conversation that happened beforehand was far preferable to dealing with the nitty-gritty details at the event - or worse, for there to be hard feelings because a character used some skill that others thought they shouldn't have.

akata

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:16:11 am »
Okay, I will try biting this one in the butt before it causes more misunderstanding.
First off, I have no problem with people asking questions to clarify rules of any kind, and I 100% agree that asking them before the given event makes for a smother play doing the event.

My post was meant in general for all events player or dm run, I merely used Lilys night of duels as an example, because it IMO showed a growing trend in IC forums. Just as people restrain the use of OOC while online then I believe the same should be done on an IC forum.

If you look at Lynn1020 post Then it is completely drowned out and I will bet a lot of people missed it all together.

Secondly, my post was not meant as an attack on anyone, I dont[/u] have any problem with druids/shifters or with Aerimor, his opinion towards shifter abilities in magic dead areas, his tone in the post or with his player event.

My sole objection was to the choice of forum where people decided to voice their opinion and questions, because by doing so it removed the work the player put into making a IC thread, and that will in the end course people to stop making them and thereby remove something fun from Layonara.

So in short: Yes ask question to clarify rules/meaning, post regarding opinions are always valued, but at the right place, so it dont end up belittling the effort of someone else

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:47 am »
Right. IC stuff in IC forums; OOC stuff needs to stay in OOC forums. I'll try and help facilitate that in the future.

Chazzler

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:03:24 am »
And usually, anything OOC can be made into an IC question if given some thought into it. 8)