The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Antivirus etc  (Read 562 times)

Chongo

Antivirus etc
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:10:00 am »
Opinions on what's best?  eset runs out soon, had avg before that.  eset seemed to run pretty heavy.

Lance Stargazer

Re: Antivirus etc
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:25:51 am »
I've heard preety good things about Avast, and I personally use Avira Antivir, yet the newer version of this last one its making me wonder of late, but so far has worked reall well for me .  this for the "free" budget of course.

Cheers

merlin34baseball

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
I've used Avast free version for years and never had a problem. You can download it from pcworld.com.

Frendh

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »
Firewall has been enough for me. I have windows defender on windows 7 computers though. Not sure what it does. I had windows XP without antivirus for 8 years or so.
Cygate's firewall is resource friendly. When I do not use that one I use Comodo's firewall. Both have free versions. Comodo also has a free antivirus and an internet security suit which combines the antivirus with the firewall.

I cannot say which antivirus is best since I have never had any problems. But a couple of years ago NOD32 was best among the antivirus software. Or so I was told by people I rely on. If it runs heavy now I would not use it myself.

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »
Haven't gotten a virus in 4+ years with microsoft security essentials, and I frequent the most seedy and disturbing corners of the internet.  Totally free from microsoft.com

Xaltotun

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »
I don't tend to visit seedy sights, but I have used Microsoft Security Suite for a few years on one of my computers and never had any issues - except one, so worth mentioning.

The laptop in question just suddenly decided it wouldn't connect to Layo (or any other game) through a company firewall and it took me ages to track the block down to the MS Security Suite. Once I disabled it, I got through no problem. And before anyone chips in with two firewalls running (MS Security and the corporate one) being the issue here, I have never, ever had the same problem with any other firewall I have been running interfering with the corporate one. Anyway, that aside, the MS program works really well and is free  well, so you can't go too far wrong?

Hellblazer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:57 pm »
I use avast and have used it for years. The free version is extremely good.

anything