The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Computer Failure  (Read 1416 times)

lonnarin

Computer Failure
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:51:44 am »
Hard drive seems to have imploded catastrophically.  New one is in the mail.  Hopefully that was the only problem.  May be out of commission for a bit!-Lonnarin/Brewmaster

The following users thanked this post: Xaltotun, mixafix, miltonyorkcastle, Dorax Windsmith, Acacea, Ravemore, davidhoff, willhoff

Acacea

Welcome, welcome! Join me in
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:42:58 am »
Welcome, welcome! Join me in the still- fixing-computer lobby!

lonnarin

Status Report: Things are
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:43:00 pm »

Status Report: Things are looking good.  With the new hard drive installed I am able to use the windows recovery disk for a fresh install to boot up and am now installing a massive amount of updates.  Network is good but limited, likely to improve with updated drivers. (and who cares if it says it's limited if it gets the bandwidth anyhow, the poor thing just has a bad self esteem I think).  I am a little worried that it hasn't asked me my CD key for windows and doesn't seem linked to my microsoft.com accoutn as of yet, and I have lost my cute little kitten picture desktop background and startup screen.  I no longer seem to have the massive lag spikes from the 100% disk usage that I had prior to the catestrophic drive failure, which is nice.  Likely the machine was encountering bad sectors and throwing itself for a loop.  The new hard drive didn't come with a SATA cable, so I have to postpone putting the old one into slave status for now.  I shall whip it occasionally and berate it until I purchase a 3.25" enclosure later and try to reformat it into a 3tb external drive of dubious quality.  We shall see if these updates take and I can get my PC in fighting form in the next few hours.  I really hope my Fallout 4 save files are in a cloud, because I racked up about 70 hours of play time in 2-3 days.  This should not be physically possible, so I am also inspecting my room via tricorder for temporal anomalies.  Thus far only 3 red shirts have perished.  The bridge crew and primary love interest are still intact.

lonnarin

Updating Update:  Updates
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »

Updating Update:  Updates complete.  Downloading updates for the updates.  Updating updates.  There are 34 optional updates that I MUST install.  My computer wishes to be able to speak French, Russian, German, Polish, Spanish and Estonian.  I do not want to speak Estonian, but for some reason I absolutely must.  Still searching for Orcish, Elven and Dwarven patches.  Updating.  Every time I install updates and restart, 12 more mandatory updates appear.  This is like trying to drown a mogwai.

willhoff

Learning a few words in
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:30 am »

Learning a few words in Estonian actually may be useful :)  Keep on with the updates and make sure you remember the Brew patch.

mixafix

Palun kas ma saaksin teise
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:46:56 am »
Palun kas ma saaksin teise õlle samas minu uuendused , uuendus

lonnarin

Still having issues with my
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:54:55 am »

Still having issues with my Win key as I opted for the free windows 10 upgrade on an old valid windows 7 installation.  Once upgraded, windows 10 started saying it wasn't genuine and locking me out and had so many popups it's unplayable.  Tried to reinstall 7, and it said it was out of activations.  Wrestling with Microsoft over the issue has been fruitless.  Finally saved up enough with the new job to get a new copy of windows 10 with its own key and it's in the mail.  Should be reinstalling soon and back in the game.  Been rather frustrating not having a dedicated home computer to play on all this time.  My apologies for being out of action for so long!

lonnarin

Package arrived and
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:19:34 pm »

Package arrived and reformatting!

lonnarin

IT WORKS! AAHAHAHAHAHAH! I
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:41:03 am »

IT WORKS! AAHAHAHAHAHAH! I CAN LAYO AGAIN AND THE CAPS ARE LESS YELLING AND MORE JUBILATED JOY!

anything