The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Dew of the Universe  (Read 409 times)

jadewillow

Dew of the Universe
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »
Now I don't want to start another debate on the value of the Soul Mother. I happen to think Layo's death system is part of what makes it so fun to play. It gives real consequence to our character's actions. However, it does have an unfortunate side effect. After a player has invested so much time in a character, and that character begins to run out of SS, they either become overly cautions or perm. The alternatives are to either leave Layo or start another character. Having started 7 characters since I joined Layo, I am not sure I want to start another. Although the RP associated with growing another character is appealing, what keeps me with Layo is being able to explore new areas and experience new challenges with a group of PCs that I have spent months (if not years) playing with.

There has been discussion of quests to recover SS. Great idea. But what about the idea of gaining strands back as a result of the time since your last SM visit. This may even be mechanically easier and less burdensome to the staff. We might even be able to come up with an IC reason for such an approach. I don't want to do away with perming, but just want to give players a path to continuing to play their characters in Layo and not lose interest.

Obviously this is selfishly motivated as my character Flynn is perhaps the most unlucky character in Layo. Dying four times since level 20, and losing a strand each time. But I am interested to hear everyone's opinion. Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Dorax Windsmith, Hellblazer, Lynn1020, davidhoff, A-Wizzle

davidhoff

Re: Dew of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:48:02 am »
Well I agree that the death system is good and needed.  I just think 10 is too low a number considering all the time we play, battles we enounter and quests we go on without knowing much about the hidden dangers and enemies that lie ahead.  Even with GP's and SMDefense...it's still too low.

Maybe upon reaching every three levels you get one back after say level 15; so at 18 you get one, 21 you get one, etc.  That might give us some incentive to to stay in the game and some hope for later.

Or maybe there could be a really wicked place in the Deep you could go to deal with the Soul Mother's sister; if you killed her minions and reached, say, the alter, the soul mother's sister would give you a soul strand back.  This would obviuosly require a strong and diverse party and could make for some special outings.   Just a thought.

But I agree some thing needs to be done to tweak the system just a bit.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:54:59 am »
Having perm'd 4 characters on Layo (2 I revived with the GP system) I too think that the current system needs a slight tweek.  I agree that the death system is valuable and gives consequence to our actions, but it could be improved.  I think there is merit to the idea that the longer a character is in the world, there should be opportunities to gain additional Soul Strands.  Looking back right now, I think that 10 (along with the GP system) is a good starting number.  I also think that the opportunity to take SMD at 21 (or later) is also good, but I think there should be a few more opportunities.  I have two ideas that come to mind:

1)  Install a SMD II feat available at some level (maybe 30) where an additional 5 SSs could be obtained.

2)  Increase the GP system to allow 2 or 3 GP's per some number of levels (2 per 10 levels or 3 per 20 levels).  The restrictions on de-perming a character could still be valid.

These are just some thoughts I had on the subject.  I think I'm more cautious now about dying than I used to be, but taking risks in the game also bring excitement to the playing experience.

Cinnabar

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:07 am »
Quote from: Dorax Windsmith

1)  Install a SMD II feat available at some level (maybe 30) where an additional 5 SSs could be obtained.

2)  Increase the GP system to allow 2 or 3 GP's per some number of levels (2 per 10 levels or 3 per 20 levels).  The restrictions on de-perming a character could still be valid.

I agree that a PC's longevity should have some bearing on any opportunities to gain/recover SSs, and like both these ideas.

I'd think however that a SMD II feat (at level 30 or more) should gain a smaller number than 5 (3?). Both as PCs and players, we should be getting wiser as we go along.

As to #2, if there were to be a change to the GP system to allow for N GPs per M levels, perhaps 'amend' would be a better idea than 'increase', as follows:  When one expends a GP, a 'replacement' GP wouldn't be available until M levels from the point at which it was taken. Sort of a 'walking window', where the total GPs available would never increase beyond N. I think this would also encourage players to submit GP requests as their PC goes along, rather than any 'storing up' of them against some expected future need.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:17:36 am »
Quote from: jadewillow
Obviously this is selfishly motivated as my character Flynn is perhaps the most unlucky character in Layo. Dying four times since level 20, and losing a strand each time. But I am interested to hear everyone's opinion. Thanks.

Perhaps not the [POST=938662]most[/POST] unlucky. :p

Lynn1020

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 10:22:45 am »
I think this one takes the prize. ;)