The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Do not rush the server!  (Read 266 times)

Harlas Ravelkione

Do not rush the server!
« on: September 20, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
It has been said a thousand times, and now 1001 times: "Do not rush the server after reset/time out." Rushing it causes time-outs.

Harlas

IDii

RE: Do not rush the server!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:17:00 am »
Shall I join you in the defense of the server?

*grabs his DM admin flower tool and tries if the kick still works*

Ha... good as new.

THE SERVER SHALL NOT CRASH!

Though... think I'm too lazy to swtich to the DM client right now. You show them who has the flower!

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
Yes. Severe time-outs. As in, the corner with no cookies or pie. They don't want you to have to go through it, so just don't do it, you know?

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Acacea, you crack me up! :)   And yeah...something like that.
  To give you folks some perspective, the West module is in excess of 70MB in size.  When the module loads up, the NWServer console appears to freeze for a good 2-3 minutes minimum as it goes through its startup process.  During this time, you should not be logging in.  At all.
  When the server restarts, whether intentionally or because it crashed, give the server at least 5 minutes from that point, if not more.  If you connect using the Multiplayer menu in the game, wait until the ping times stabilize.  Like golf, lower is better. Give it some time.
  So wait at least 5 minutes before even thinking of jumping back on...and then wait a couple minutes more to stay out of the way of those junkies who just have to be the first ones back on the server....And after that, give it a few more minutes just to be nice.
  Have a nice day! :)

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
*sighs* That was the second time I did my set-ups for the quest. Now I will go and start with the third...

Tedulas

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 10:36:00 am »
    Yup, I usually wait - I guess browse the forums and post pointless replies like this.
    Well, hope that helped.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
    I don't wait for server crashes to post pointless replies.

Dorganath

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
    Come on, folks.  Since the reset it has crashed twice in the span of 30 minutes.  And looking at it right now, there are 18 people logged in after the server has been up for only 6 minutes. 
      I know this place is lots of fun, but go get yourself a snack...maybe take a short walk, read the newspaper.  The game will still be here.

Tedulas

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 10:40:00 am »
      Doc-Holiday - 9/20/2005  6:38 PM

I was only joking...I am quite an active forum user. Jeez lighten up.

Ioskeha

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 11:28:00 am »
      Would it be possble to create a script, or something, that closes the port NWN uses for, say like 30 secs, once the server detects a crash or after the server is restarted?  Or a line que that only lets a predetermined amount of people in enter the server after a restart?

Acacea

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
      Tedulas - 9/20/2005  10:40 AM

Teddy, buddy. Just look at all of Doc's posts and you'll see what he means about his pointless replies. Jeez, lighten up. ;)
      (Hah! ...Joke. More of the lightening.)

And yeah. Just put a big barricade over it or something. It would be nice.

EdTheKet

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 01:03:00 pm »
      Ioskeha - 9/20/2005 8:28 PM Would it be possble to create a script, or something, that closes the port NWN uses for, say like 30 secs, once the server detects a crash or after the server is restarted? Or a line que that only lets a predetermined amount of people in enter the server after a restart?

Unfortunately, no. And it would probably only postpone the problem for 30 secs, as it's also the number of people trying to log on all at the same time, so if you wait 30 secs, everyone will just jump in 30 secs later.

Ioskeha

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 01:08:00 pm »
      Ah that makes sense.

What about my idea of a line que?  Have it set to only allow 3 people to login at a time with time limit before 3 more people can.  Maybe have it run just long enough for the server to become stable.

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 01:15:00 pm »
      Ioskeha - 9/20/2005 10:08 PM Ah that makes sense. What about my idea of a line que? Have it set to only allow 3 people to login at a time with time limit before 3 more people can. Maybe have it run just long enough for the server to become stable.

Don't think that's compatible with NWN/Gamespy.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »
      Acacea - 9/20/2005  1:08 PM

Tedulas - 9/20/2005  10:40 AM

Teddy, buddy. Just look at all of Doc's posts and you'll see what he means about his pointless replies. Jeez, lighten up. ;)
      (Hah! ...Joke. More of the lightening.)

And yeah. Just put a big barricade over it or something. It would be nice.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you at all. I mean just look at my avatar of Inspector Gadget and that should tell you a little about me. I didn't mean that you don't post often enough, I feel people should say as much or as little as they wish. I was simply stating the fact that I don't wait for a reason to say nothing. I say nothing alot, so with that here is a bit of something.

I am extreamly plain and simple with a wicked sense of the confusing amd find a great deal of humor in all of life and especialy myself. My favorite thing is to lay a trap and stumble unwittingly into it. There by showing first how complicated and intelligent I can be to so completely and utterly entrap an idiot... and then catch myself. Life is something you will never escape alive, laugh at it or it will laugh at you.

I often find people are intimidated when I think... so I try not to be so serious.

To this end I quote Voltaire "God is comedian playing to an audience to afraid to laugh." and so I try to crack a smile.

Wintersheart

• View Profile
        « Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 04:31:00 pm »
        Seems this one needs bumping!

Already loots of people are back on before the west server has had a chance.

Vellyn

• Followers of Aeridin
          • View Profile
        « Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 04:35:00 pm »
        Yup ... I watched the server come up and have 15 people instantly log in in about 10 seconds ... needless to say it crashed again ... I chose to enjoy my pizza and see just how bas it is since i've been reading this thread ... patience, patience, patience ...

Bryantiza

• View Profile
          « Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
          When it crashed i decided to spend my time looking up better ways of being a grumpy git... i have to say i failed as i can't really get any more grumpier...
          but ...it wastes time and gives me something to do.

Vyris

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 05:17:00 pm »
          Bumping this... not that its doing much good...

People, seriously, the server needs time to settle, get an egg timer, set it for 7-10 minutes randomly and don't log back on till you hear the *DING!*

Vyris

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
            • View Profile
          « Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »

We all know you desperately need to play Layo, it's VERY addictive (yes, i'm addicted aswell of course), and the best module ever made for nwn, and of course, if you have some time to play, you won't think twice and waste it playing anything else but on Layo. However, please please do us all a favor, and wait about 5 - 10 minutes before joining the server if it crashed or was resetted.

If you don't, well, chances are those 5 - 10 minutes you should've waited will become about 20 or more minutes, -because- everyone just keeps rushing the server and bringing it down or causing massive lag.

Think about this, and while you do, pet your dog, grab some food, play with your children, whatever... but please please do NOT rush the server after a crash or reset, it's bad for all of us... :(