The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Do you dream of opening an ingame shop?  (Read 925 times)

Pen N Popper

Do you dream of opening an ingame shop?
« on: November 02, 2006, 04:22:01 pm »
All,

I got some questions ingame about starting up a guild and opening a shop.  I thought I'd share my thoughts and encouragment here.

The Leilon Arms for many many RL weeks was open every Friday and merchants would come and sell their wares.  The Freelancers, seeing the benefits of this, had "merchant tables" installed in their Point Harbor tavern.  Anyone can come and sell their crafted or looted goods.  Are you a ring maker?  Perhaps an armor and weapons maker?  Tailor?  Each has a table where a merchant may place his/her inventory.

Do you really have the patience to come every week for several hours and sell your goods?  What about the weeks that RL keeps you away, do you find someone to fill your spot?

What if no one comes to the open tavern night, do you give up and not return the next week?  Or, do you work ingame and through the forums to generate interest?

Perhaps you have grandiose plans of opening a crafting guild.  Imagine!  A grand guild hall with persistent storage, rooms, elaborate dining hall, master bedrooms.  What happens when three of your five founders stop playing?  How empty does the enormous hall feel when it is just you staring at the chests?

Guilds and shops take tremendous OOC dedication, organization, and vision.  Do not succumb to the desire to leap to the end goal; start small and build up.  Prove to yourself, the players, and most importantly the GM/builder team that you have what it takes.

Perhaps there is already a guild out there with an under-staffed guildhall, or a tavern willing to host your half-elf convention.  Make good use of the resources already at your disposal before moving forward.

If possible we as players need to encourage such efforts.  Story nights at a tavern are opportunities to RP and let others shine.  Market nights are a chance for independent crafters to feel their worth.

Let's all work together to make Layonara a rich, immersive environment for us all.  Few things compare to a well-attended tavern night:  Bickering at the bar over the cost of ales, haggling in the corner over a pile of malar skins, a bard being booed onstage.

See you ingame, PnP.

The following users thanked this post: Lalaith Va'lash, miltonyorkcastle, Dorax Windsmith, Stug3, jadewillow, Hellblazer

Leanthar

Re: Do you dream of opening an ingame shop?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 04:28:11 pm »
here here!

Chazzler

RE: Do you dream of opening an ingame shop?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 05:31:31 pm »
Nicely put, and it alerted my interest to go and sell some items tomorrow evening, see you there!

Guardian 452

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 05:54:32 pm »
I loved attending the Leilon Arms, Enzo met many folks and helped better equip them.

Then they were not open regularly... then not at all.

So I tried the Freelancers, sadly the times I have been there 1 to 4 people showed up. (maybe just bad timing)

Enzo has had a Virtual store for a long time (Enzo's Bow Shop, in the Trade Market Hall).

I had his house remodeled and made a real in game store even added my Virtual Shopkeep (Thomas McStumbletoe).

So far Ive held 2 open houses.. times when I set a couple hours of my time aside to run this store... All total I think I have had less than 6 people come.

I'm all for the concept... but if their arent customers.... it gets old fast.

When RL allows, I will attend the Freelancers, and the Leilon Arms....  

I hope we always have places like them in this game world!  I was impressed beyond words the first time I visited the Leilon Arms and saw how players had came together an made this place really work!

I hope the flame never dies for you guys & gals!!!

Respect

G-452

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:39:19 pm »
Guardian 452 - 11/2/2006 8:54 PM I loved attending the Leilon Arms, Enzo met many folks and helped better equip them. Then they were not open regularly... then not at all. So I tried the Freelancers, sadly the times I have been there 1 to 4 people showed up. (maybe just bad timing) Enzo has had a Virtual store for a long time (Enzo's Bow Shop, in the Trade Market Hall). I had his house remodeled and made a real in game store even added my Virtual Shopkeep (Thomas McStumbletoe). So far Ive held 2 open houses.. times when I set a couple hours of my time aside to run this store... All total I think I have had less than 6 people come. I'm all for the concept... but if their arent customers.... it gets old fast. When RL allows, I will attend the Freelancers, and the Leilon Arms.... I hope we always have places like them in this game world! I was impressed beyond words the first time I visited the Leilon Arms and saw how players had came together an made this place really work! I hope the flame never dies for you guys & gals!!! Respect G-452
 I couldn't agree more with what P+P and Enzo said.
  The Leilon Arms was always a labour of love the for many of us that have seen it through, and it took tremendious OOC dedication and effort just to prepare for one friday night. Sadly, that eventually caught up with me and so Kali went on hiatus, and then it seems RL and other projects caught up with all of us.
  But, slowly it seems like things may come back around with this opening, and hopefully with some help from other members of the community we might be able to keep it open, a little more like it used to be with the combined efforts of many many, instead of the sole efforts of a handful

Leanthar

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:55:07 pm »
*bump* Please read.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:20:01 pm »
I have always wished to make a Tavern night but sadly have never had the time.  I still do dream of coming to the Arms or the Freelancer and seeing thirty or forty players, telling stories, sharing news, and yes, selling wares.  I hope more people catch on to the immense fun of having large numbers of playyers immersing themsleves in a situation, and support Tavern Nights.  Perhaps some GMs can even visit and start some impromptu's from the interactions they see taking place.  You never know, but with that many creative roleplayers in one place, anything can happen.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 10:54:43 pm »
The arms was great the times I have been able to be there. And many times GMs have run events around or during tavern openings. Sometimes just playing an NPC who came for a drink and gossip.

The Freelancer openings are usually too early for me since with the time difference I'm often still at work or class until they're over or until only Acacea and Annalee are left swapping stories by the fire hehe, so I've never really gotten to experience the freelancer vibe.

Everyone who helps make things like this happen has my encouragement and appreciation even if my presence isn't possible :)

mixafix

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 01:21:19 am »
sellers could help these places along by agreeing to only sell in such events/places too....that way you are making them more of an event, gives the idea a better chance...

this is a much better place to sell than say than say when a quest is just about to, or has started!!

Pen N Popper

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:13:39 pm »
*bump*

Still holds true.  Dream big, start small.

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 08:37:44 am »
This is the post I was digging for!

Doesn't exactly say what I remember... but it was close.  This still applies.  

Any ambition new players/characters (or ambitions old ones) looking to find their footing in the world and willing to invest some IC and OOC dedication to something... I may have an opportunity for you.

Erik K

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 06:23:06 pm »
Marcus walks up to the post and reads it, smiling to himself he pens a short message at the bottom.

you have my intrest, contact me

Marcus

jan

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:13 am »
*Barion frowns reading the name and those near can hear him sigh softly *

" I thought we were going to look for people to join us , not to look for other things to dedicate our time to and let The Bashers be handled by the few that are doing so now "

* he shakes his head and walks off disillusioned *

Pen N Popper

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:41:35 am »
This is an OOC thread.  Or are you RPing real life? :-)

jan

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:37:15 pm »
Quote from: Pen N Popper
This is an OOC thread.  Or are you RPing real life? :-)

:) Replying to Marcus , which to me seems an IC post :D

Lalaith Va'lash

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:48:03 am »
Quote from: Lalaith Va'lash
This is the post I was digging for!

Doesn't exactly say what I remember... but it was close.  This still applies.  

Any ambition new players/characters (or ambitions old ones) looking to find their footing in the world and willing to invest some IC and OOC dedication to something... I may have an opportunity for you.

*Bumping* Still applies! (p.s. this is OOC)

Marcus, still interested?  Anybody?

Erik K

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 01:03:51 pm »
yep, definately :)

anything