The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Don't Leave Things Lying Around  (Read 797 times)

twidget658

Don't Leave Things Lying Around
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:47:32 pm »
I have noticed lately that there is A LOT of item left on crafting benches. The server does have to keep track of all these items and it causes/adds to lag. There are trash cans EVERWHERE and almost always one close by. Please police yourself and keep the server clean.

http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16851&posts=6&mid=100394&highlight=buckets&highlightmode=1&action=search#M100394

http://www.layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18284&posts=7&mid=110226&highlight=buckets&highlightmode=1&action=search#M110226

Faldred

RE: Don't Leave Things Lying Around
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:13:53 am »
Hear, hear!  It seems like lately every time I go to the Farmer's Press in Hlint, there's a half-dozen or more abandoned buckets sitting on the device; the alchemy benches are frequently cluttered with abandoned vials and flasks.  Please don't be a litterbug -- clean up after yourself!

hawklen

Re: Don't Leave Things Lying Around
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:57:47 am »
once i found a jewlers bench loaded with greenstones, around 40 or so. Quite annoying

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 05:45:53 am »
Yes, please do clean up after yourselves. Leaving things sitting in crafting stations contributes to lag. And none of us likes lag, right?

D Blaze

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:21:52 am »
And everyone should check around the tables once in a while, you'd be surprised what you may find.

Just by passing among the tables every so often, one of my own characters has found nuggets of metals, gems ranging from cheap to rare (including a ruby a long time ago), lion bags (3 in total now), essenses for alchemy and even whole pieces of clothing.

So it's not just the usual junk you may find.
People really need to keep better track of what they do and what they leave behind (which should be nothing).

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:52:49 am »
Quote from: Dorganath
Yes, please do clean up after yourselves. Leaving things sitting in crafting stations contributes to lag. And none of us likes lag, right?

But without the lag, Soul Mother will starve and perish!  lol, just kidding  Whenever you're looting and you become over-burdoned, try also not to throw it all on the floor unless its truly a matter of life and death.  A good tip is to drop the extra junk onto a new enemy corpse before you loot it, using it like a trash bin.  Then you beat the sucker into oblivion, destroying all the items you just packed it with.   Even if you're too weak to destroy the corpse, at least the cleanup script for corpses is quicker than the one for dropped items.  Also, a HEAVY heavy portion of the lag we experience is from the login script of people who feel it necessary to have boxes of 36 10-stacks of things to craft, like gem dusts, bat guano, holy water, spell components, etc.  Try to keep your invntory item count in moderation, please.  And don't go around buying boxes of things in 7 or 10-stacks.  Boxes of singular unstackables like eggs, corn, aloe and the like are fine.  But when you put a price tag on stuff like a full box of milk (something like 140 bottles) or a full box of greenstone dust, then you wind up having 3 or 5 people all running around collecting obscene amounts of the same thing.    Every time that person logs in, the server feels like a 90-year-old bag boy trying to scan and price 300 items in the average time span of a lag-spike, about 3 to 5 seconds.  In that time EVERYBODY on the server winds up fending for their life against monsters who mysteriously portal next to the mage and have 8 attacks more per every one you swing at them; Not to mention the poor people lag-porting on top of mountains and in the middle of swarms across the map.  So yeah... moderation.  Plus I bet it's MURDER on the bandwidth rates.

thedagda

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:32:03 am »
Just giving this a friendly bump.  Just ran across nearly two pages of things left in the kitchen in Hemp in the mill.  There's a trash can right in the kitchen, please either trash it or pawn it if you don't want the stuff.

thedagda

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:35:50 am »
Just giving this a friendly bump. Just ran across nearly two pages of things left in the kitchen in Hemp in the mill. There's a trash can right in the kitchen, please either trash it or pawn it if you don't want the stuff.

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 03:36:45 pm »
is it me or is the forum buggy?looks like the post of thedaga is overlapping the one from lonnarin

thedagda

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »
I was seeing the same earlier, but looks right now.

Marswipp

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 06:34:44 pm »
It was most likely a browser quirk.
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 11:03:55 pm »
yep, back to normal here too.

cbnicholson

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 02:10:51 pm »
*bumps thread* I'm finding far too many vials on the alchemy table and always buckets in the farmers press..CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES..PLEASE.  It only takes a few seconds to check all the pages of a crafting station. :(
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Zoogmunch

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 02:32:49 pm »
me two, please clear everything except high value gems on the gem cleaning tables please as I'll collect those........

Howling Wolf

Alatriel

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 03:07:43 pm »
not only that, but I keep finding buckets and other trash on the press, so it's not like it was an oops I forgot it there as those things are used on the press.  It's not doing anyone any favors by leaving stuff around.

freemen2

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 03:33:20 am »
Been finding cows indoors as well as junk left on tables.
we all know why the steaks on legs where brought in, in the first place, but I really see no reasons to leave them there once you're done crafting *shrugs*

thedagda

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »
Bumpity-bump-bump-bump.

It's that time again.  Running across lots of items being left in the craft stations (water buckets in the press, mill, and water basin)  While Essa does appreciate gifts, she is also a high maintenance girl so I would suggest leaving emeralds, rubies or mithril.  :)

Lynn1020

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »
Quote from: thedagda
Bumpity-bump-bump-bump.

While Essa does appreciate gifts, she is also a high maintenance girl so I would suggest leaving emeralds, rubies or mithril.  :)

Oh I can arrange for Amanda to leave her a gift or two.. ;)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 08:05:53 pm »
Will it explode?

SteveMaurer

Items impacting CPU performance? Sure this is a myth. Maybe Do
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:40 pm »
As a software engineer with quite a lot of experience, I have quite a lot of difficulty imagining that leaving a few items around in crafthalls would ever impact CPU performance (causing lag).   Almost certainly what it really does is just add a little extra memory, which gets paged out.  And I suppose that could eventually run the server out of address space - which is why you shouldn't drop everything.

But other things take up memory as well, like map markers.   No one complains about that.