The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: ECL - Is it ruining my life, or giving me rewards?  (Read 1807 times)

errk

• View Profile
    ECL - Is it ruining my life, or giving me rewards?
    « on: May 08, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
    Er.. sorry about being a newbie and all.  this is somewhat a repeat of other threads, but I just need to be sure I understand.
    (I've seen a few threads about this but can't really pinpoint these answers..)

- ECL It was orginally intended to balance subraces..  Say A lvl 1 halfgaint (with ECL 3) would be "equal" to a lvl 3 Human (because of the subrace bonuses)..  Correct?

- It is taken in account when monsters are spawned? ECL +3 spawns monsters 3 levels/HD up ?
    (Can this acctually be benefitial because one can get higher rewards?)

- And when rewarding xp for a monster kill?  say when a monster worth 100 xp is killed, a higher ECL will "reduce" the value of the monster to say..  75 xp in order to balance leveling (instead of increasing the xp /lvl steps because of the sub-race issue ?

Just curious..  
    Creating a deepgnome with an ECL +3 I'm getting my rear-end spanked by monsters that reward me less than my peers in the same party..  This is not a complaint...  just didn't realize that ECL had much of an effect... or does it?

vgn

RE: ECL - Is it ruining my life, or giving me rewards?
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
    ECL does most of what you said. It is intended for balancing.
    For your gnome with an ECL of 3. To raise from say level 6 to level 7, you need to earn the same amount of xp as a human trying to move from level 9 to 10. But as it is easier to code, instead of making you need that much xp, what is done instead is the xp you get from creatures is reduced by a factor (more than the 25% you guessed for an ECL 3) and so you gain xp slower which has the same effect as requiring more.
    All high ECL characters should aim to take as many or more quests as their counterparts as quest xp is a straight reward based on actual level and ECL does not factor in. If you try to gain levels only by bashing you will find it will take a long time and much longer than your friends you are partying with.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 04:07:00 am »
    Basically, ECL is the price you have to pay for all the goodies that special subraces give, else the game would be too easy for someone who chooses them. ;)

errk

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:52:00 am »
      Any possible way to remove the perks of the deepgnome and play him as a "normal" gnome?..  
      I simply don't use them ..  I just thought the Deepgnome race was cool.

Say he's been on the surface so long around humans and dwarves that he has forgotten his deepgnome past?

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:09:00 am »
      No, none. Sorry.
        You are born as a certain race and you can never change that race.

anything