The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Extended character info  (Read 346 times)

silverdraco

Extended character info
« on: March 26, 2007, 04:22:39 pm »
I thought like making this for both the newbie’s and the more experienced players. it's an extended version of the character submission template already on the forum. I added a few things to help everyone think of his/her character before approving it. And to make sure you can play it properly. It is of coarse your own choice weather or not you use all or parts of this.
You do not need to use everything in your submission. Follow this link to see what you do need: Character Submission. The rest is just to help you with roll playing your character. You may also use the character submissions wizard to create your submission. It can be found here: Submissions Wizard .

Most of the things listed below speak for it self. You can be as detailed with it all as you want to. Any comment or addition to this template is welcome. If there is anything important I forgot let me know and I’ll place it here along with the rest. I also attached the words document I used. It might help you if you want to keep the info on your computer and don't want to acces the internet all the time to get it.

[SIZE=18]Extended character info:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16]Basic info: [/SIZE]
Full name: ....
Birthday (age): ....
Place of birth: ....
Place raised: ....
Race: ....
Sub race (if any): ....
Class(es): ....
Alignment: ....
Deity: ....
2 domains: ....
Languages known: ....

[SIZE=16]Looks:[/SIZE]
Eye color: ....
Hair color: ....
Skin color: ....
Height: ....
Weight: ....
Tatoes: ....
Distinguising marks: ...
Description (in game): ....

[SIZE=16]Personality:[/SIZE]
Loves: ....
Hates: ....
Fears: ....
Goals in life: ....
View(s) on other races: ....
Background: ...

[SIZE=16]Extended info:[/SIZE]
Parents name(s): ....
Sibling Name(s) (brother/sisters): ....

Short info on Family, friends and other known people (use the template above if needed to help you): ....

[SIZE=16]Level up strategy: [/SIZE]
Things you might want to remember to take when you level up.
Skill points to take: ....
Feats to take (go for): ....
Other info for leveling up: ....

The following users thanked this post: Nehetsrev, Hellblazer

darkstorme

Re: Extended character info
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:02:08 pm »
*applauds*  Very nice.  I've a small contribution as well: I came across this in the PHB the other day, and I think it has pertinence here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(From Chapter 6, "Description" - references have changed to fit Layo)

Looks
Decide what your character looks like using the descriptions of the various races in LORE as a starting point.  Characters with high Charisma scores tend to be better-looking than those with low Charisma, though a character with high Charisma could have strange looks, giving him a sort of exotic beauty.

You can use your character's looks to tell something about her personality and background.  For example:
  • Krusk the half-orc is missing part of an ear and bears many scars that are the result of the violent life he led among the orcs that raised him.  He keeps claws and fangs from beasts he has killed on a necklace.
  • Alhandra the paladin has the Ankh of Toran branded on the inside of her forearm to show her devotion to him.
  • Hennet the sorcerer wears an eclectic, makeshift outfit that is different from day to day, suggesting his chaotic nature.

Personality
Decide how your character acts, what she likes, what she wants out of life, what scares her, and what makes her angry.  Race and alignment are good places to start when thinking about your character's personality, but they are bad places to stop.  Make your Lawful Good dwarf (or whatever) different from every other Lawful Good dwarf.

A handy trick for making an interesting personality for your character is including some sort of conflict in her nature.  For example, Tordek the Scout is lawful, but he's a little greedy, too.  He might be tempted to steal if he can justify it to himself.

Your character's personality can change over time.  Just because you decide some basic facts about your character's personality when you create the character doesn't mean you need to abide by these facts as if they were holy writ.  Let your character grow and evolve the way real people do. (Ed note: And it makes for wonderful CDT fodder!)

Background
Decide what your character's life has been like up until now.  Here are a few questions to get you thinking:
  • How did she decide to be an adventurer?  Did she decide, or was it forced on her?
  • How did he acquire his class?  A fighter, for example, might have been in the militia, he may come from a family of soldiers, he may have trained in a martial school, or he may be a self-taught warrior.
  • Where did she get her starting equipment from?  (The items you purchase at character-start, that is.)  Did she assemble it piece by piece over time?  Was it a parting gift from a parent or mentor?  Do any of her personal items have special significance to her?
  • What's the worst thing that ever happened to him?
  • What's the best thing that ever happened to her?
  • Does he stay in touch with his family?  What do they think of him?

---------------------------------------------------------

If you've covered the points in Silverdraco's post, and answered the above questions, there should be no question as to who and what your character is going to be.. and things will move that much faster. *chuckles*

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:18:40 pm »
I believe LynnJuniper has a post somewhere that also states some very good points for character submissions. I'll have to go find it :)

silverdraco

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:14:54 am »
thanks Darkstorm. I already had those in my version but the way it is named in yours is much better. I will use those as well and see if I can add some info to some parts. LynnJunniper has some interesting things to I'll see what I can use in that, and hopfully these pages will be stickied so it helps future character creations.

Faldred

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 07:39:26 am »
Just to add my two trues... the more information you provide about your character, the easier it is going to be for the character approvals team to review and comment on the submission.  It will also provide you, the player, with a character that has far more depth and "realness" to it, even before you log in for the first time.

On the other hand, all things in moderation.  If you submit a novella as your character bio, it's going to take a long time to approve simply because it will take time to read something of that length critically.

silverdraco

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:22:27 pm »
I made some changes to the info I made above. I think it's now a bit better. I even added some of the idea's that you guy's wrote.

I hope this help future develepment of ones character.