The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Fighter/Wizard  (Read 743 times)

Acacea

RE: Fighter/Wizard
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
His character is a sorcerer, hence the joke. Or was it?

Hah? *sigh*

Edit- Acacea will probably either adore or hate him, too. Have a talk-off. She's a champion yammer-er.

Edit again- I was just trying to clarify that you probably weren't misunderstood. So, sorry.

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »
it may have been a joke.......but i'm not really in a joking mod. would you be if you were told one fo your best friends killed himself?
All i really want to do, is sort out my character, and become him...forget about my problems.....

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 03:30:00 pm »
*feigns being offended*

I have found that a 10/10 Fighter sorccerer is actualy a very powerful combo. Just be ready to choose which spells a fighter most needs and you have LOTS of those to use.

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 03:37:00 pm »
well why would a sorcerer be more suitable for the job than a wizard?
has anyone online made a fighter/wizard and trained him up?
tell me the cons and pros of why a sorcerer can do it better than a wizard and the other way round if you've used a wizard.

by the way, i've tried pure wizard. I didn't like the fact I couldn't hit hard enough.
and the fact i always had to travel with someone to live more than 5 minutes.
once my spells were gone i was like sending a lemon with arms and legs into battle.

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
from the fact no ones replied yet. iim guessing your either spending alot of time making a LONG list, or you don't know the reasons why you like sorcerers more apart from the fact the name starts with an 'S'

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
Or i'm at work and have to look busy every few minutes

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 04:18:00 pm »
fighter/ sorcerer and fighter/ wizard may seem the same but are very diffrent combat types.

/Sorc favor a particular type of magic, haveing fewer spells they tend to develop a style of attack and magic combination that suits the player. This character makes a great support for casters. Able to level several spells and then swing the blade a few times to keep the enemies off the casters

/Wiz  allows for a broader range of magic knowledge, but limits the amount of spells available. When prepared, this build can customize for diffrent situations and can use the limited spells in very specific points to change the direction of the battle. This character makes a great support for fighters, the range of spells means focus on buffs and weapon enhancements to introduce a stronger fighting force, these spells also double as buffs for other fighters. Offering a second fighting force that can toss the occasional spell as well to keep the enemies off the fighters.

Dorganath

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 04:22:00 pm »
What Doc-Holiday said....plus:  Spell Spamming
  In my personal opinion, a well-built sorcerer is a better raw combat mage than a Wizard.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
I try not to Spell Spam, it's needless expenditure of energy. Besides.. never know when you might need those 17 lightning bolts. That's the thing about Sorcerers... endurance casting.

Weston is not a fighter sorcerer, but I treat him like one. His objective is to nullify the magic of enemy mages, and if he gets a change to swing a sword, well just remeber to duck.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 04:44:00 pm »
okay, just read all this stuff, and here is the deal, as I play, and have played many fighting wizards (eldritch knights by some):

First:  on this server, a tenth level wizard is bloody powerful if you let your summons do the work.  as previously mentioned, a ten ftr/ ten wzd combo is powerful and versatile.

Second:  there is only one way to lower your damage when fighting in melee, and that is to lower your strength.  so, if you want to do more damage as a ftr/wzd, get more strength.  This means you'll have to sacrifice some other attribute, which, if you want wizard, you'll need at least a 15 INT to get the 5th level spells of a tenth lvl wizard, so that leaves the other four attributes to suffer.  

Third:  what you are trading for by taking wizard is BAB (base attack bonus)- your shear martial prowess and ability to hit enemies despite their best armor or attempts to dodge- for spell power and versatility.  Ftrs get the +1 BAB every level.  Wizards get +1 every 3-4 levels.  Also, you don't get a second primary hand attack until your BAB totals 6, and you don't get a third until your BAB totals 11 and so on.  Of course, BAB ends at 20th, after that it changes somewhat, but, hey, you have to get to 20th first.  So, by taking levels of Wizard you will have fewer attacks, and less of a chance to hit something than a pure fighter.  Your damage, however, when you hit, will be no different than a fighter of the same strength as you.  But you will be able to give yourself AC buffs, Ability buffs, Damage reduction and damage resistance, plus you will be able to summon decent help for fighting bad-guys.  

Fourth:  the best fighting wizards are finess fighters (Dex based fighters)  since their high DEX causes them to need less armor, plus, makes them better with the bow so they don't have to get as close in battle with their fewer HP.  Elves make great ftr/wzds because they get the extra +2 to DEX to begin with.  Of course, DEX based fighters will never do the damage output that a strength based fighter can, but being able to cast your spells unhindered by armor and chuck the occasional fireball to level the playing field keeps it the prefered route.

Fifth:  If you want sheer damage output, play a near-stupid barbarian or a weapon master.  If you want to play smart, and ultimately live longer, play a wizard or a sorceror.  if you want the best of both worlds and you don't want to be a finess fighter, play a cleric.  damn good spells and not-bad fighters, plus no spell failure.  personally, I can't ever get into the RP of a cleric, so I'm limited to the other options, but, but, hey, I love barbarians!!!

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
I see.
But i could also learn the feat that allows me to do damage through dex instead of strength. That could help.
Then I would not have to waste precious points on strength...

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 04:56:00 pm »
If i were to split it straight down the middle, so fighter 10, wizard 10, it would give a better overall result would it not. For me i mean. Since i want the best of both worlds.
The question is how would i train myself.
Should i begin by just training in fighting up to lvl 5, then switch to wizard for 5 levels, or do I mix it up, so like lvl 1 fighter, 2 wizard, 3 fighter and so on?

Varnart

• Followers of Aragen
    • Followers of Lucinda
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
I have a fighter/wizard, he's currently level 5, and he's fig2/wiz3. I use a greatsword so that I don't get shield arcane spell failure, cast flame weapon and shield and then go whacking for 2d6+4+1d4+3. I chose the starting stats STR 16 DEX 14 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 10 CHA 8, and I have absolutely no problem with any monster whatsoever. Yes, I have 20% arcane spell failure from scale mail, but I don't care, my spells seldom fail, and never when I really need them. Also, be sure to get Expertise to take advantage of your high intelligence, it's a life-saver at those levels. Power Attack is also good, because you want Cleave as soon as possible. And there's no feat to add your DEX bonus to damage, there's Weapon Finesse that lets you add your DEX bonus to ATTACK, which is a completely different thing. But a fighter/wizard or the even better fighter/sorcerer is great for when I just want to bash things, when I want to play seriously I use my halfling wizard. And yes, fighter/sorcerer is better, because there are few spells you really need, but you need them a lot, which is exactly what a sorcerer is good at. I just went with fighter/wizards because I'm more used to wizards, as they are better full-casters than sorcerers, even though sorcerers(esses) are luckier with the gals/guys.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 06:12:00 pm »
if RP doesn't lead you to one class or the other, I suggest what Talan did:  simply alternate levels.

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 05:58:00 am »
im not keen on alternating though.
I'm going to go do some research,
Thanks for the help people.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2005, 10:53:00 am »
The Feat that allows for Dex consideration instead of STR does not increase damage, only your AB.

Bryantiza

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 02, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
    I've made up my decision now.
    I'm going to be a wizard from lvl 1 -5.
    That way I can learn lvl 3 spells. I'll learn Still spell so that I can cast spells with armor on, though I am yet to decide what to do after reaching level 5. I'm thinking of becoming a fighter at that point, but i;m not sure for how many levels. or should I reach lvl 7 before switching to a figher, so that I get most the good beginning spells.
    don't try to pursuade me to become a sorcerer. I don't care which is stronger in the long run. The only reason i'm becoming a wizard/fighter is because I was always a wizard when i played with my friend who passed away recently and he always used to use a fighter......
    Just tell me if its possible to train an elf as a wizard then switch. Although Elfs aren't affected by being a wizard, is there a limit for how far apart the levels can be or does it not matter. I was wondering If I should train as a Wizard until lvl 16 then become a figher, or is it not possible to do it like this?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2005, 11:12:00 am »
    as long as you play an elf, having levels in wizard will never incur xp penalties, no matter how many wzd lvls you have in comparison to your other classes.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
    Sounds like your all set then.. good luck!

Bryantiza

• View Profile
      « Reply #39 on: September 02, 2005, 11:42:00 am »
      ok thanks guys, you've been a great help!

;)

anything