The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Fighter/Wizard  (Read 761 times)

Fighter/Wizard
« on: August 31, 2005, 01:54:00 pm »
What would be the best way to sort the lvls.
I am an Elf so I am not affected by having Wizardary as another class.
What i did with my character this time was:
level 1 - Fighter
level 2 - Wizard
level 3 - Wizard
level 4 - Wizard
level 5 - Fighter
Although hasn't really been a bad choice of options for me, it has left me only slightly more stronger than a wizard.
I was hoping for you opinions on what a good way to do the classes up to lvl 5 or lvl 10, up to how far you want to do.
My problems were that my Constitution was lower than that of a ranger the same level as me. My strength was ok but not excellent. I can do an average of 11 damage per hit.

Filatus

RE: Fighter/Wizard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 02:07:00 pm »

I'd suggest taking the wizard levels early, favoured class only goes if it's the higer class. Or at least to 5 levels wizard, then you can take lengthen (stretch, double, something) spell and you'll have buffs that last 10 minutes, or do you wear armor and use still spell, because then getting those wizard levels is even more important.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 02:10:00 pm »
Well what I currently do is wear my medium armor. Then before a battle I use flame weapon and my other various buffs, then reequip my armor.

Vyris

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
Involve yourself in RP more with others in and around town, do what feels right for your character and worry less about what your average damage is. Layonara is foremost an RP server, and although at times it's nice just to get off work, and go bash things with friends for a while, a high level character with great hitpower but no personality isn't going to be much fun to play here.

Take my above comments with a grain of salt too, I'm completely unaware of the status of your RP, and my comments are made in a general sense, so apply the broad brush to 'you' and not the specific 'you'.

Besides, once you get to level 10 and have an even split of levels you'll be strutting around just fine.

Vyris

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
reaching lvl 10 is not an easy feat.
I'm not bad roleplaying. I've made alot of freinds with my character.
..........although i am not to sure on how i would really want him to progress. What I usually do is play the character through on single player first
Test out there strengths and weaknesses and see what the best way to go is, but I never this time and I wanted to make sure that most Fighter/wizard splits are like my guy is at the's lvl.

Vincent

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 02:17:00 pm »
    I've had a lot of trouble myself with a similar character.  I went 4 Fighter, 2 Wizard, and I'm still getting killed by Skeletons (albeit a bit less now that I'm 5 levels higher than 1.)

How to survive it? *shrug*

I guess I'd try to save up on gold to buy a nice heavy suit of armor and just buff myself until I could afford not to wear the armor anymore.  I haven't saved up that much yet so I can't really say the strategy works.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
      • Followers of Xeen
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
    Filatus - 8/31/2005  5:07 PM
    I'd suggest taking the wizard levels early, favoured class only goes if it's the higer class.

You're thinking of humans.

pg. 41 NWN manual:
    "Favored Class (Wizard): A multiclass elf's wizard class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing."

My suggestion?  Extended Ghostly Vision will be your bestest friend until Stoneskin.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
    I'd just alternate fighter and wizard levels untill level 10 (5/5)

You wont be able to extend ghostly visage untill you hit level 5 wizard (char level 10 in this option) and stoneskin will be worse than ghostly visage untill you are epic if you keep the split even.

Stoneskin was one of the spells tweaked with a pure class wizard in mind.  Its not worth memorizing for a multiclass wizard (unless you're planning to cast it on allies since GV is caster only.)

-TV

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
    The reason I went for Fighter first, was so that I could get more HP straight off. If I were to be a wizard till lvl 5 say, then become a fighter, I would have more protective and powerful spells But then how much more should I raise my fighting skills after that.....
    It really depends on what way I want to go. i'm hoping to know up to lvl 10 spells by my twentieth lvl. That would mean I would have to be lvl 16 wizard and 4 fighter. Unless I just get to lvl 7 or 8 spells.
    I am unsure in what path to take.
    I like to plan ahead. I do not like making the decision when I get there.

Acacea

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
    Here is why I can't really plan ahead well.

I enjoy thinking of possible places my character could end up (Acacea continues on her merry way forever, Acacea is eaten by a dragon when trying to ride it, Acacea becomes bitter after her less than good friends try to sacrifice her to demons, Acacea goes sober and decides to become a cleric...), but I don't know what they're going to encounter (which is part of the fun), or what will influence them.

I don't much enjoy agonizing over which class to take a level in or spells to take, etc, because I just go with whatever Acacea has been doing the most of at the time. She hangs out with Ozy and performs a lot at the inn, hey, a bard level. She tags along after Key and tells everyone to pike off and practices leaping on people from behind, gets taught all the bad places to get hit by "Jarvis," hey, a rogue level. And Dirty Fighting.

Most of her spells can double as prank spells. Like Darkness and Grease. She mostly uses GV to scare people and pretend to haunt the inn.

So, yeah...actually, she's pretty useless. What am I saying?

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »
    I am unsure of the actions to take.
    My problem is that I love being able to smash a group of skeletons to pieces in seconds.
    But I love Wizards. I love the powerful spells.
    But i just can't choose one, that is why i multiclassed. But now i have, i am not sure what direction to progress in.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
    damn me and my ability to not be able to decide on something quickly.

Vyris

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
    Personally, if I were making this character I would go with a fighter/sorcerer character, and after level 10 multiclass further into a paladin of Lucinda I think, Or abandon the whole thought of fighter level untill level 9 sorcerer and go to a paladin then. But, thats just me, Paladins aren't easy to manage either.

Vyris

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
    "i'm hoping to know up to lvl 10 spells by my twentieth lvl."

There is no 10th spell level.

"But I love Wizards. I love the powerful spells."

perhaps you should be a pure wizard.

"That would mean I would have to be lvl 16 wizard and 4 fighter."

You have to have at least 5 levels of each class you take by level 20

Also, wizards get spell levels at odd levels.  Look at the chart in the manual

-TV

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
    sorry i meant 9th

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
    Yeah i suppose. I'm just not thinking straight. I have something on my mind.........................................
    What would you do?
    All you friends suddenly start saying that one of your best friends killed himself. Chucked himself infront of a train.
    Yet they've heard it from afew different souces.
    I've tried getting intouch with him but he doesn't answer he's phone, and i don't know where he lives.
    He didn't turn up to the college enrolment day and nobody has seen him apart from the two people that said it at first, yet you know they lie alot.
    I can't get around it.
    My heads just messed up.........
    Don't worry. forget about it. i just needed to get it off my chest.
    ...........................................................................................................................

I'm sure he's fine...........I hope.....i'll see him walking down the road on my first day of college..................I haven't heard anything on the news........so its not true is it?.............................................

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
    I like sorcerer

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
    yeah but going with sorcerer would not give me a favoured class.......
    which means i wouldhave to keep them really close. Plus i'm not really too keen on sorcerers

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
    Well I'm not to keen on you either.. :P

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 03:24:00 pm »
    not sorcerers..i mean the sorcerer class. I prefer wizards.
    Not you as a person