The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Game mechanics question  (Read 157 times)

Ar7

Game mechanics question
« on: September 24, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
Now I have noticed it many times, that I am hit, when I am not supposed to be. Always thought it was my imagination, but, here is a screenshot. The giant rolls a total of 35 and 28 and hits me, yet my AC is 43. Why is that happening?

PS Pic is posted offsite

Filatus

RE: Game mechanics question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 01:05:00 pm »

Could be that you were flatfooted or something. Meaning you didn't get to use your dodgebonus at that time.

- 6 from dex
- 1 from Ronus' boots
- 2 from tumble (or more)

Would give an AC of 34, the giant rolled 35.

If you were in the middle of the fight, I would think it came because of an actioncancel. That happens with a bit of lag.

Falreign

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
I'm not sure, really a 28 should really have not damaged you. It is possible that stone skin was absorbing damage that pushed a touch attack (10+Dodge) but I have never heard of it doing that.

Filatus

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »

Ahh, forgot the 28. Well, first of all you're hasted. That's another +4 dodgebonus I think. So we're getting there. I'd suggest checking up on your dodge bonus.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
yeas, if you aren't a barbarian or a rogue of at least some levels, than you can be caught "flat-footed"  anytime you are not actively engaged in fighting a foe.  This means that if you simply stand there, or in some other way ignore your enemy, you lose all dodge and dex bonuses to AC.  Rogues and Barbarians get an ability called Uncanny Dodge that means they are always on guard against a foe, even if they appear to be standing still.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 04:45:00 pm »
Yup, flatfooted. You're not in combat until you act for the most part. Your initative was only a 12. They all obviouly had a 12 beat.

So they were going before you. Once you act, which is casting that FoD on a 12 you're no longer flat footed.

Its why Imp initative and such are really important for all light/no armor wearers that are in combat a lot.

Ar7

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 12:56:00 am »
Thank you for the help, the solution is to always do something *polishes his sword*

Ioskeha

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 01:36:00 pm »
I have a question also.  Instead of starting a new thread I'll go ahead and ask it here.

I just did the Swamp Witch's quest and got the +2 natural AC neckless, but when I equip it on my character I get no AC bouns as seen in these pics.

AC before equiping: http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acbeofre5pj.jpg
AC after equiping: http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=acafter5pm.jpg

When I equip the neckless I don't get an AC conflict like you normally would if you have more then one AC bonus type equiped.  Anyone have any idea why my character isn't receiving the bonus?

Magnulas

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
    I think it only gives +2 against undead, in that case it wont show up on your normal AC

Filatus

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »

That's because it only works against undead. You'll get the extra AC when they roll against you, but it won't show up on your total AC.

Ioskeha

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 01:57:00 pm »
    Oh, okay!  Thanks a lot.

anything