The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Gauging the interest  (Read 809 times)

Aphel

Gauging the interest
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:12:55 pm »
Some time ago I had the idea for a series of player run events geared towards good aligned characters with a focus on the progression of martial, military and civil skills like leadersip, small units tactics, organisation and so on - in a nutshell, a continuation of the Toran Leadership Programme trying to dabble into an academy of advanced training of various nature but all focused on preparing characters to "fight the good fight" better and with more effect.

There are already some long-running quests out there and more a possibly brewing. Who would be interested in something like the idea mentioned above and has the character and, moreover, the time?*

[SIZE=10]*M[SIZE=10]ight but is not limited to contain Toranites, [SIZE=10]Voraxians, chairs, dragons, ungentlemanly but nevertheless nonlet[SIZE=10]hal tact[SIZE=10]ics, stra[SIZE=10]tegies, gnomish inventions, training injuries, going one bridge to[SIZE=10]o far, persecution by various k[SIZE=10]ingdoms[SIZE=10], sudden death[SIZE=10] by aforementioned gnomish inventions, walking away from he[SIZE=10]llballs [/SIZE]but not looking at it[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE].

The following users thanked this post: ShiffDrgnhrt, Lance Stargazer

Polak76

Re: Gauging the interest
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:47:30 pm »
Absoutely!  This sounds perfect for Alandric ;)

Aphel

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:50:17 am »
*promotional bump*

cbnicholson

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 08:53:37 am »
Jo or Daniel would be interested in this.
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Aphel

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
I doubt it makes sense to do this for three characters. Just as with Pibemanden's GMT group, this'll go up the Styx for now unless I can make more time free somehow. My apologies.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:22:47 pm »
It does actually work to do this for just three characters, methinks. You just need to find a GM willing and able to run the series.

It can possibly be run as a GCDQ type event for those interested, though the group would need to have a very like-mind/matching purpose.

I can't jump on another long running series myself (since I've somehow got myself into two of them), but I could run the GCDQ idea. I'm about to finish up the SB GCDQ and Tyra's CDQ. Following that, I'll have Jehoram's CDQ, and unless one of my backburner's steps up and says, "Hey, me next!" then I can run this next.

I'd treat it as a CDQ, in the sense that it would focus on challenging and stretching the characters outside of their comfort zones to allow for character defining choices to be made.

Aphel

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 04:57:10 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
It does actually work to do this for just three characters, methinks. You just need to find a GM willing and able to run the series.

It can possibly be run as a GCDQ type event for those interested, though the group would need to have a very like-mind/matching purpose.

I can't jump on another long running series myself (since I've somehow got myself into two of them), but I could run the GCDQ idea. I'm about to finish up the SB GCDQ and Tyra's CDQ. Following that, I'll have Jehoram's CDQ, and unless one of my backburner's steps up and says, "Hey, me next!" then I can run this next.

I'd treat it as a CDQ, in the sense that it would focus on challenging and stretching the characters outside of their comfort zones to allow for character defining choices to be made.

I don't want to be a downer (again), but you adressed two of the three issues I noticed when making my decision. First is the group (never played with Alandric as far as I can remember), secondly I don't want to make this appear as GM-bac-breaking work for you, which leads me to the last point - timezones. It's not very likely that we find a good timespot that all of us could attent do for a couple of sessions in an acceptable manner. It's still possible to do this, then again, it would  probably be in the category of the infamous SOON(TM).
Maybe I can cast this into a better mold by giving it a more percise goal and better motivation. Sadly, it's not the matter of hooks, it's a matter of how to make them look appetizing to the players.

On a good day, I am not lacking the ideas what could be alternatives to the regular quest/GCDQ/xp-gold-cnr-grind trip, just on what could be achivable without immediately sliding down the slope towards creating some über-epic series (both in scope of levels, effects on characters and gameworld, and work for the GM). It's not you, milty, it's my problem with being able to create something fun for people to actually attend somewhat regularly outside the regular box while not pulling from Layo's organisatorial capacities too much (or, of course, overstepping lore/competence boundaries).

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »
I happen to have more time on Saturdays right now (generally speaking), which often works for timezone crossovers. If you want to give it a shot, post in my CDQ thread. Shouldn't be more than a month delay from the time of the post to the start of the quest. And during that time I'd be collecting information and determining the party make-up.

Try and bring me down all you might, but I happen to have an answer for everything. I have the know-it-all gene. Whether or not my answer is correct, true, or viable is always TBD. :p That, and I'm not afraid to jump in and get messy.