The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Good D&D reading  (Read 571 times)

Thunder Pants

RE: Good D&D reading
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 01:32:00 am »
i havn't had the chance to read them, but i've heard good things about Fred Saberhagens, Book of Swords Serries

aragwen

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 04:02:00 am »
Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan I really enjoyed.
  Read all 10 books in like 2 months, just could not stop. Was really upset when I got to the end of book 10 to only realise then that there is still 2 books in the series pending to be only releases in 2006 and 2008 apparently.
  They are first releasing the 3 book series prelude. Guess I will have to read it again once the last two is released.  The Feist books are also very good, especially the Riftwar series. Read all of them except the latest series, Serpentwar saga.
  Have bought the Dark tower series from Stephen King as well, but waiting for the final books in the series to be released, but the intro looks very good.

regnus

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 04:48:00 am »
The Wheel of Time Series is by far my favorite of all time.  I have read most of the others that have been mentioned.  The Wheel of Time is just much more complex a story to me and I like that it is structured in a realistic way.  Some of the characters are a little repetitive, but the storylines are great and they mesh together really well.

I have heard but not confirmed that the next book is going to be released in Nov.  I do know it is titled "Knife of Dreams"

Frendh

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2005, 06:32:00 am »
I've read more books than I can remember, but very few or no D&D ones.
Going to bump some of those that have been mentioned above.

My favorite one is the Series about the Malazans. It takes two
huge books to read in all the characters, places and base story plot
line though. By Steven Erikson.

Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody: Child of Blood was amazing, it's the first part of
a series. Not sure, but it's probably around 5-6 books.

Elizabeth Moon's series about Paksenarrion is really good, three parts and she
is writing a "prequel" serie. Not really a prequel but you'll know what I mean
if you read it.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is great in the start, but declines in my opinion.
But not enough to make you stop reading. First five books or so are the best ones.
That's where the Trollocs on Layo come from.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is very similar to Wheel of Time in many
aspects. But this series doesn't decline as it goes on. So I like it more.

David Edding's Belgariad is what got me into reading books in the first place.
A good read, but it is more directed to kids in the early teens I think. He's
written a lot more books too, prequels to the Belgariad (with his wife), The
Mallorean (sequel to Belgariad)and the series about Elenien which is also good.

I've read Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords, which are part 1 through 3. Not the
best read I've had, but I don't regret reading them. There are more books after
that but in other timelines I believe. Somewhat inspired by Greek Mythology.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's The Death Gate cycle is a very good read.

Raymond E Feist has written a couple of series about the world of Midkemia.
And he's written several novel's about Midkemia too. They have a red string
running through the story line. These are all very good.  With Janny Wurts
he has also written about another world that is connected to Midkemia, Kelewan.
This series is much more about politics and is less adventure oriented than the
Midkemia one. Still a good read.

I've read the first series by Terry Books, Shannara series. Definitly not
a must read, but may appeal to some people. Low on my priority list.

Tad Williams Dragonbone is an okay series, worth reading.

kathrine Kerr's serie about the land of Deverry is a good one. Feels
Wales inspired.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever has its moments,
but it often has a very gloomy feel to it. Worth reading if you are
having a hard time finding something to read.

George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire is a good serie, but also
directed to more mature readers. Foul language, incest and such.

I've only read one book of R.A Salvatore, The Demon Awakens. Definitly
worth reading, a good read. Not part of a series as far as I know.

David Gemnell's Tales of Drenai are very good. Only read the first
three or four books though. The timeline isn't chronological. So if
you know someone who has read them, you can ask to have them tossed
around and read them in the "right" order if you want.

L.E Modesitt's Spellsong cycle is a good read, though I've only
read the first four books or so.

Gene Wolfe's the Book of the New sun is a good read. The two books
Soldier of Mist and Soldier of Arrete are even better. May be known
elsewhere as Latro of Mist or some such. The last two books mentioned
takes place highly(almost completely) inspired by greek Mythology.

I can go on and on, but it starts hurting going through my memory
banks now ^^

dfiremann

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: July 19, 2005, 07:25:00 am »
    I am re-reading Eddings series' for the first time in 20 years, and must concur, it is a bit vague, but it also leaves powerful room for imagination.  By far the best fantasy author I have ever read....

I thought Feist really slowed down in the Melawei section, but fired up to the coolest climax I think I have seen.

Two more series I have not seen make it into this discussion...somewhat girly, but AWESOME reads...

MELANIE RAWN the Sunrunners series.  Mixes all of the combat and character with some genuine romance.  As a sexually mature adult male, even *I* must confess it added to the story.

JENIFER ROBERSON- the Cheysuli books about shape shifters was ok, but the Tiger and Del series, much like the Sunrunners- very vivid, with some romance, but an awesome story.

STEVEN BRUST- anything with Vlat Taltos, the assasin.  Good tongue-in-cheek dark humor.  Short books, but good.

GLEN COOK- Stories of Garrett the fantasy world detective.  Same humor as above.

Great thread!

DAVE DUNCAN- THE KINGS BLADES_ I devoured all of them in a matter of nights in Iraq.  All of them.  Yes, they are THAT Good.  His 7th sword series set the foundation for his writing here.

Imperious

• Followers of Lucinda
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 08:30:00 am »
    Just about anything that Guy Gavriel Kay has written...he's about the best thing that Canada has exported to the U.S., along with beer ;) ...he worked on a lot of Tolkien's stuff after his death and his writing seems like I"m reading "literature" or some great classic...great plots and characters...nothing ever seems far-fetched and it all weaves togther seamlessly.

Although they involve five characters traveling from the present world to a fantasy world, his Fionavar Tapestry is just amazing and the most D&D-ish. A Song for Arbonne and Tigana are also great, and I understand they're (whoever they is) are considering makign his Lions of Al-Rassan into a movie. Good, good stuff.

Jeff_K

• View Profile
      « Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
      If there's one thing in the world I have any knowledge in, it's FR books. So listen up, children.

If I had to pick the best FR author, it would be R. A. Salvatore. That probably won't surprise many people, but there's a reason he's so well known.
      A (fairly) new author I like a lot is Paul S. Kemp. He is currently writing the Erevis Cale Trilogy. A little dark at times, but a good read. He is also going to be writing the last book in the War of the Spider Queen series - Ressurection.
      I've never really gotten into Ed Greenwood, but most people do like him a lot. I have never really given him a chance, though. I read the first chapter of Elminster in Hell and gave up on him - I had no clue what was happening.
      Most people don't like the Baldur's Gate series, by Philip Athans and Drew Drew Karpyshyn. But it's what got me in to FR to start with. They were some okay books; I don't understand why people hate them so much. Maybe because everyone dies... I don't like that either.
      The War of the Spider Queen, as mentioned above, is also a good series. It, along with Dawn of Night by Paul S. Kemp, is pure D&D bliss.

Well, I'm sure I was no help with this, but I couldn't resist writing something. *Attempts to turn off loser mode, but realizes the switch is jammed*

Scipio

• View Profile
        « Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
        Any of Robert Howard's fantasy stories...especially Conan. They are all back in print now.
        The Thieves' World anthology.
        Tad William's books are also very good.

aragwen

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 10:26:00 am »
        Sitting in the study now, looking up at the bookshelf and seeing some other good reads.
          James Clemens - The banned and the banished series was excellent (Wit'ch Fire,Wit'ch Storm, Wit'ch War, Wit'ch Gate and Wit'ch Star).
          I really enjoyed this series and the writer had me stuck to me chair during this one with a very clever twist in the end.
          And must also mention the first D&D type books that I read was Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends by Weis & Hickman. That is what got me hooked. I actually bought them the other day in a box set format, but have not read them yet.

Diamondedge

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
        If you want really good reference material into how the different races are "supposed" to interact with one another, I suggest reading the FR series.

R.A. Salvatore gets a little weak when putting up the 'racial barrier' between all the races, and his books tell the tale of far more accepting and tolerant characters. However, all the Dark Elf books will show you the 'inner workings' of a dwarf. Also the quintessential Drow. Evil to the bone.

Ed Greenwood puts Elminster in Myth Drannor. By a bunch of elves. You can bet that these elves don't really like Elminster. There are many, many examples of how snootish an elf should act.

That's the only FR I've read, but I've read 'em all by both. I'm pleased at many points, but some are disappointing. I feel that Salvatore's latest trilogy didn't wrap up nicely and had far too many cliffhanger points to it. Oh well.

Harry Turtledove wrote a really magnificent series that sort of integrates World War II into a fantasy realm. I believe the series was called someting like 'Darkness Descending', but it was insightful and pretty well done in my opinion.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth... I couldn't finish the book, I found it tedious and far too scrupulous to detail. But I have heard many a good review about it anyway, so I'll recommend it despite this.

That's all for now, I'll try really hard to think up some more. Dragonlance is supposed to be good, but I haven't read any from experience -- Too big of an everything, I don't know where to start.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
          • Followers of Xeen
          • View Profile
        « Reply #30 on: July 19, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
        First actual fantasy book I read was The Legend of Huma, first part of the Dragonlance Heroes collection, by Richard Knaak.  I was spoiled by this book in regards to Weis and Hickman, I consider their work by comparison on the Chronicles to be okay, but the "of the Twins" series to be boring and uninspired.  I made it through the first book, about halfway through the second, and just had to put it down because it was literally putting me to sleep.  The Legend of Huma is everything that a fantasy novel, to me, should be.  Chronicles seemed more like a group of high school friends bumbling their way through a campaign with no real clue as to how the game works, as I watched unexplored plot threads go slipping away (the green gemstone man?  can I get a wtf?) without satisfactory resolution or beginning.

(and yes, I deliberately talk down Weis and Hickman as much as possible, I just like watching devotees thereof sputter and counter. ;) )

Xhanum

• View Profile
          « Reply #31 on: July 19, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
          Im spankin new to this stuff.  I could suggest some good reads on WAN technologies (been doing that for 17 years) but I know diddly about D&D or FR save what I've learned since I signed up for layonara last month.

Apart from the books mentioned, can anyone suggest a quick primer on the web?  For example, until last month, I still had a pretty decent image of Elves as the tiny guys in Santa's workshop.  I don't want to read about Elves at some random web site and get the wrong idea.  Before I jump into any heavy novel, I want to get a better feel for the genre.

For example, on the topic of age by race:
          How old is a young adult Elf?  When would they marry... have kids... start a career?  How old is an old Elf?  
          Same questions for the other races, and lots more topics I'd like answered.

Any suggestions for a primer that will give me some context like this?

Thunder Pants

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
          one of my personal favorite sci-fi fantasy serrieses is Roger Zelzany's Amber Serries, they tend to be short reads (only a couple hundred pages each) but they are really good, also his good and evil serries that he wrote with Jack Mckinny is fun to read too (Bring me the head of Prince Charming, if at faust you don't succeed, etc)

Jeff_K

• View Profile
            « Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 08:03:00 pm »
            This link looks good for such information, Xhanum:

http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Dlabraddath/Main.htm

Diamondedge

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 10:02:00 pm »
            Also, for a real good definition of 'elves' and what not, I suggest the players handbook, 3rd edition or whatever's available, but also another book by Cookie and the gang, "The Quintessential Elf". It is like a handbook but goes over everything there is about the Elven folk: How they act, table manners, how they tip their hats, and so forth. I personally do not own it, nor have I ever read it. But I assume it to be very useful.

anything