The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Google chrome and why it mostly rocks:  (Read 625 times)

Necromancer

Google chrome and why it mostly rocks:
« on: September 05, 2008, 03:18:08 am »
I downloaded Google chrome and I have to say it's a massive improvement on previous browsers. That said, it doesn't work properly here, any idea? I really like most of the features of it but I can't use any of the drop down menus on the website with it.

waballou

Re: Google chrome and why it mostly rocks:
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:29:23 am »
What is it?

Necromancer

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 05:55:24 am »
It's a browser, more advanced, better security and a lot more features than most browsers. It's also greatly streamlined and simplified.

s0ulz

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:59:38 am »
It's "superior advancement" has so far negated it from working in most websites that have a noticable degree of custom tailored code or innovations in it. I don't know if it's the same problem with Layonara, but it's definitely way too raw and unrefined to be used by the masses.

It's got promise though, so good luck to Google. Maybe try and put some soul into it.

Weeblie

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 06:31:12 am »
Heh, I see no reason to use Google Chrome when one can instead use a combo of Firefox 3 and IE 8 (Beta 2).

Many of the "improvements" found in Google Chrome are also available in IE 8. IE 8 is currently also rendering a lot of websites incorrectly (broken menus tend to be classical case), the fix there is just a matter of activating "compatability mode" (which also can be activated permanently for all websites if one so wishes to).

Google Chrome is nice with its simple and small "look" and definitely something one would consider on, say, an Asus EEE PC. But for an everyday desktop computer? Ugh...

Google was once considered not to be evil but that's surely no longer the case now. ECHELON killing off privacy on the net? That's a joke compared to how much internet monitoring Google is doing. It's all good and nice if Google itself is honorable. But what if someone else gets their hands on all the info that Google has gathered?

Chazzler

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:07:29 am »
Try re-installing your Java, the menus use Javascript and did not work for me when I had no Java installed with Firefox. Perhaps Java just was not embedded on your Chrome installation as it was installed before Chrome.

vgn

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:21:22 am »
The menus have been reported to Google.

While they are striving to be compatible with existing websites, they are also trying to be standards driven. The fractured landscape of the web today has created a scenario where most websites, layonara included don't use full standards and instead rely on hacks known to work in certain browsers.

Like every Google product, chrome is beta and early beta at that. It does show strong promise but it has not replaced my other browsers yet.

Google is listening and wants chrome to be the best it can be so if you find a site that doesn't work, use the little report a problem feature like I did with layonara.com. This will help them in making it more compatible with the existing web.

Masterjack

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 02:27:17 pm »
Remember Chrome is still in beta and not a fully working browser. So asking the team to look into it when they are already working long hours on the New Layo is asking a bit much in my opinion.

At least wait till it becomes a fully funtioning browser first.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 03:25:13 pm »
I'm just hoping for a Linux version - I hate running things through WINE.

vgn

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 03:34:09 pm »
I think you misunderstood Masterjack.

I didn't report the problem to layonara for the layo team to fix. I reported the problem to Google for Google's Chrome team to fix.

Google is smart and has a nifty option you can report to them any website that doesn't work how you expect. They will then work to make Chrome more compatible.

Necromancer

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 05:03:32 pm »
I wasn't complaining at the Layo staff, i was relating positive experiences with the browser that I had, well mostly positive. That this was the only failing of it, if you used it I think you would like most of it....but the fact it isn't compatible with the forums here irks me enough not to use it for now.

Xiaobeibi

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 06:16:58 pm »
*coughs* Opera!

:)

anything