The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Luring monsters  (Read 470 times)

muaddib

RE: Luring monsters
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 07:06:00 pm »
Just walked into fort hope to find a great werewolf and larry fighting. I dont know if anything was killed but i didnt see corpses so i think i got there in time.

Chrys Ellis

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 07:11:00 am »
    Some weeks ago Rufus and Xiao were greeted in a usually tranquil area, by a Legendery Dire Bear, that resulted in Xiao's death, luckily there was no token.

The funny thing about that one was whoever lured the bear died in the process, and left the bear next to three black bears.  When we were walking up, I noted the gravestone, and wondered who managed to get killed by four black bears....
      "Wait a minute, aren't there only three black bears here normally?....YIKES!!!!.....that's not a black bear!!  RUN!!!"
      The really sad thing was the bear killed Xiao after a transition, and Xiao gathered a party to do something about the bear so others would not be caught unaware. In the process, Quillwem was killed and received a DT. 

jjkolb

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 07:20:00 am »
    muaddib - 9/20/2005  10:06 PM

Just walked into fort hope to find a great werewolf and larry fighting. I dont know if anything was killed but i didnt see corpses so i think i got there in time.

A few days ago I dispatched two of those on my way through the Broken Forest.  The were sitting at the AT with Ft. Hope on the Forest side so anyone entering the forest from Hope would have been pounced on.

Gosh, I feel like such a tattle-tale.

ZeroVega

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 07:27:00 am »
    Chrys Ellis - 9/21/2005 10:11 AM  
    Some weeks ago Rufus and Xiao were greeted in a usually tranquil area, by a Legendery Dire Bear, that resulted in Xiao's death, luckily there was no token.

The really sad thing was the bear killed Xiao after a transition, and Xiao gathered a party to do something about the bear so others would not be caught unaware. In the process, Quillwem was killed and received a DT. 

Yeah, was heading back to Arabel (decided to walk instead of teleport) and ran into the Legendary Dire Bear. Lucky for me I was fully beefed up (with empowered Con and everything) so I managed to escape with only a few heal kits worth of damage.
        The funny part of mine was I was walking and I saw a grave... "Huh wonder what killed him," I thought. Kept walking, nother grave... "That's weird, never seen one here before," I said... kept walking, another grave, this one right before a transition... passed through the transition, and I saw what made all them perty graves. :)

Aragon

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
    I agree with everything that has been said thus far about luring animals or using animal empathy on them.  This having been said, I have no sympathy for those who encounter Succubus' or anything else on Arabel.  Arabel is not designed for low level characters.  There is a constant war raging on Arabel, so I don't see it out of the question to find anything anywhere on Arabel.  You know what you are getting into when you travel to East Server.

Chrys Ellis

• View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 04:23:00 pm »
      Aragon - 9/21/2005 12:38 PM I agree with everything that has been said thus far about luring animals or using animal empathy on them. This having been said, I have no sympathy for those who encounter Succubus' or anything else on Arabel. Arabel is not designed for low level characters. There is a constant war raging on Arabel, so I don't see it out of the question to find anything anywhere on Arabel. You know what you are getting into when you travel to East Server.

Yes, but there is a reason there are no creatures ON transitions, normally.  There is the unrealistic aspect that the game has to LOAD the new screen, leaving you completely susceptible to attack, prepared for battle or not.  If I were coming from the other direction, the succubus would have used her death attack on me and I could have failed the save before the screen was even finished loading.
        Especially in my case, where my AC is very dependent on DEX bonuses, I would be a sitting duck at a transition because, as prepared as I can make myself, I can't go through a transition in combat mode.  Something like the legendary dire bear would get at least three or four attacks on me before I had a chance to do anything about it, and almost certainly every attack would hit me, in that case.  Are you honestly telling me you think that is fair?!?!?! 

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 07:03:00 pm »
      I haven't yet said anything useless on this post.

Aragon

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 11:24:00 am »
      On numerous occassions I have transitioned to find a monster already attacking me.  My point is, if you are going to a place that is known for being for high level characters then expect the unexpected.  Plan accordingly or don't be surprised to find a Succubus that just "happened" to wander near the transition.

This by no means condones a person to spawn, lure and leave creatures lying around.  I think D_Blaze in another thread put it nicely.  "Just die with dignity" or *shock* don't wander alone.  Layonara was not designed to be a solo adventuring world.  My character is one of the most hated characters on Layonara, so there are few people that are willing travel with her.  I have 8 death tokens and except for 2 or 3 of them (which I blame on Marcus Perrin, my IRL brother) I have earned them all by soloing in areas beyond my ability.  So my reccomendation for Arabel and the area ... take a friend that way you can blame your death on him.

jjkolb

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
      However, if it were real life, you would be able to see into the next area.  And I don't think one would make the transition if one could *see* the succubus on the other side.  I believe that is the reason that there are no creatures placed in transition areas.

anything