The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Crafting Spell Components  (Read 243 times)

Script Wrecked

Crafting Spell Components
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:44:11 am »
This post was initiated after a visit to the local merchants:

Leather Armor (2 days to produce) : 8gp
Studded Leather Armor (3 days to produce) : 12gp
A Small Bit Of Cured Hide (offcut from the above) : 91gp
Twisted Leather Strip (offcut from the above, after I twiddled with it for a while) : 98gp

The Campaign Handbook says that it is possible to craft some spell components (the Handbook also says "A Small Bit Of Cured Hide" costs 25gp and a "Twisted Leather Strip" is 5gp :\\ ). Given this is the case, is there a guide somewhere that details what has to be done?

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Lord of the Forest

Re: Crafting Spell Components
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:18:45 am »
At the crafting vendor you can buy recepe cards. As we got different crafts there are like 20 receipe cards or so. If you click one on the list you'll get when you use such a card you'll get to know your chances as well as what is needed.

Dorganath

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:36:41 am »
Also note that the handbook is mostly out-of-date, and the crafting of spell components was largely removed because of people bulk-crafting a billion little glass beads (for example) in order to level quickly in Tinkering. Most components were moved from crafting and placed onto vendors for this reason.

The bit of cured hide isn't really "craftable" but the cured hide is.  And once you have the cured hide, you can use its unique property to produce the bits of cured hide that can be used as spell components.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:47:42 am »
For the next person to try this, here are some numbers:

It takes 40gp to cure a deer hide (unless you can craft your own salt and/or tanning acid[?]). Rat or bat hides would be cheaper to cure, but I don't know where to find rats or bats (apparently, there isn't enough hide left of the sewer rats after they've been splatted).

Out of ten hides, I successfully cured one (though I did get some crafting xp for that, so maybe next time I will have a better chance[?]) (400gp).

From each deer hide (may be different for other hides) you get five "A Small Bit Of Cured Hide" (that would have cost 5x91=495gp).

So, technically I'm ahead, but there is the "Crafter - Badge of Certification" to pay off (500gp).

I can see why the halfling crafting merchant wears a mask. ;)

So, is Mage Armor worth all this? *shrugs* 80gp a pop for a first level spell seems a trifle rich, but who knows, perhaps it that will improve. Esckew Materials anyone. :)

Serissa

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:45:23 am »
Find a budding tailor if you don't enjoy the thrill of learning (i.e. gambling).  I'm sure you can get what you need much more cheaply, or find Ferrit.  Angels Guild's main goal is helping beginning adventurers.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:58:34 am »
What Serissa said...that, or try something simpler like badger hide.

As a tip, a single cured hide can yield 5 bits of hide before the hide is used up and disappears.  Anything less than that, and the hide is still usable by the tailor.  So the "cost" of Mage Armor can be deferred quite a bit.

Acacea

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:06:46 pm »
Some of the rats in the lower level are skinnable, too.

anything