The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Cant start game!  (Read 542 times)

major6

Cant start game!
« on: September 08, 2008, 07:26:22 am »
I just did the patch, but now after I click play on my game it doesnt come back up!  I have Vista which has always been a problem.. but I have always been able to play... HELP!!!!

Alatriel

Re: Cant start game!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:28:25 am »
Aerimor had the same problem.  Try opening the start menu and finding the actual program, not the short cut, and start the game that way.  He no longer gets the opening menu with options, it just goes directly to start the game.  He also has vista.  Hope that helps!

s0ulz

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:31:54 am »
Try recreating the shortcut. Some patches alter startup information which might make the older shortcuts go haywire.

Alatriel

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 07:33:21 am »
We tried recreating the short cut and it still didn't work, but opening the start menu still does at least.

Goldwin Blacknight

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:42:04 am »
It seems I'm offline for a while myself. I've always had problems with "Diamond Edition"-black screen, etc. and now with the update it wont launch from the Play menu. There's a conflict with the NVidia 8800 series graphics cards (of which I have two) which can't seem to get resolved. Huge thread in Bioware Forums on it and NVidia doesn't seem to care a lot. I've no idea how I got the game to work after last update getting a black screen. It just started working after "blind clicking" for a while through the black options screen. Hope to see you all again soon. Goldy

major6

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:53:14 am »
Found a fix on my own! woohoo!

major6

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 08:01:23 am »
Goldy, I have the NVIDIA card also... I just brought up properties for the game itself and started up as administator and that seemed to fix everything for me

mixafix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:39:15 am »
thanks guys though a little unstable during load sequence admin option seems to work for me too

Masterjack

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 04:01:40 pm »
I had the same problem and all I needed was to run it as admin. I also had to set it NOT to run in XP compatibility mode. I used to need to have it set that way.

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:22 am »
The black screen at startup of Neverwinter Nights occurs on some outdated Nvidia's video card drivers, just download newer ones from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies , install them, reboot and you should be rid of the black screen of doom :)

If you need further help, go ahead and ask.

Necromancer

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 02:58:21 am »
Quote from: Goldwin Blacknight
It seems I'm offline for a while myself. I've always had problems with "Diamond Edition"-black screen, etc. and now with the update it wont launch from the Play menu. There's a conflict with the NVidia 8800 series graphics cards (of which I have two) which can't seem to get resolved. Huge thread in Bioware Forums on it and NVidia doesn't seem to care a lot. I've no idea how I got the game to work after last update getting a black screen. It just started working after "blind clicking" for a while through the black options screen. Hope to see you all again soon. Goldy

Remove your video card drivers.

Install the latest ones.

Finally, go to your nvidia control panel, find 'manage 3D settings'.

Look for a setting called: Extension Limit
Turn it either on, or off depending on what it is (reverse it).

If it still crashes and you're using vista, ensure you run it in administrative mode.

Also, turn of User Access Controls....

Thx
Necro

Drizzlin

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 04:55:52 am »
Quote from: major6
I just did the patch, but now after I click play on my game it doesnt come back up!  I have Vista which has always been a problem.. but I have always been able to play... HELP!!!!

I have the same problem. This is what I am doing. I let the first screen take it's time and play out, after that I use the right click ONLY and that will take me to the menu to pick multi player. IF I hit left click at anytime, it freezes up and does an error through vista and the game closes.

Goldwin Blacknight

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 04:25:25 pm »
For those of you still having trouble getting back in-here's what I had to do. I've three disadvantages to start with...using Vista O.S.-NVidia GeForce 8800GTX graphics cards-and "Diamond Edition" NWN. Get the latest driver from NVidia-7.15. Uninstall the game and reinstall. Do the "Critical Rebuild" 1.68 from Bioware website. Then upgrade to 1.69 using the "Upgrade" box in start window of the game, as it should work now. If you have troubles around this point-right click on NWN desktop icon and "run as administrator". Reload your Layo haks and you should be fine. Remember to "run as administrator" any time it wont launch. Good luck-Goldy

Eight-Bit

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49:15 pm »
There's a simple fix in my introduction thread. One second...

The quote there, a few posts down.
http://forums.layonara.com/introduce-yourself/114287-yo-2.html

...there you go. Black screen is gone mostly!

anything