The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Question regarding Lich Claws.  (Read 476 times)

Fatherchaos

Question regarding Lich Claws.
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:50:39 pm »
Hi all,
I was curious about the magical gloves, Lich Claws.

Does the cold damage stack with weapons or is this just for unarmed combat?

s0ulz

Re: Question regarding Lich Claws.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:00:23 pm »
Gloves enchanted with elemental damage (or any kind for that matter) only apply the extra damage when fighting unarmed. Weapons do not benefit from this.

Polak76

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:01:49 pm »
Quote from: Fatherchaos
Hi all,
I was curious about the magical gloves, Lich Claws.

Does the cold damage stack with weapons or is this just for unarmed combat?

I own a set of Lich Claws from way back when I had my palemaster.
From memory they were quite useless.  I don't know if things have changed, however, I believe they do Neg Damage (1d4) or con damage (cant remember) on touch attacks.  Cold Damage is new to me, then again if you were to add a cold rod I'd imagine it would supercede the Neg Damage.

I used to use them for RP purposes only.  It's always nice to see peoples reactions when you touch something and the have that Red draining glow about them.

At the end of the day they're only for Palemasters so unless you're a Palemaster/Wiz/Monk I think they're pretty useless.

Anyway next time I'm on I'll check in my house to get an update on the stats.

Cheers,
Polak

Fatherchaos

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 05:05:53 pm »
It probably is neg/con dmg - I dont' really recall at the moment.

I was thinking of them for RP reasons of someone dabbling too much with necromatic/shadow magic. I already have the wizard base covered.

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:12:55 pm »
Just never pick your nose.  Else the hairs will spring to life like evards black tentacles and consume your hand.

Fatherchaos

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:05 pm »
Evard's Spiked Nosehairs of digit consumption?

Tialle Dianesis

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:01:27 am »
    They're still pretty useless.. definitely not worth the effort it took to make them. If I remember correctly they had a 16dc to inflict -2 to constitution and a level 14 wizard or palemaster requirement.
    I had a pair with me but they somehow magically jumped out of my pockets within the past week or so...    >.>

Anyone see any Lich Claws lying around on the floor at the Leringard Inn Opening?

Fatherchaos

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 01:13:07 am »
    Can you confirm the level 14 wizard requirement? That would make them pretty much unusable to my char now :(

ycleption

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 01:19:03 am »
    Well unless they've been changed since this:
    http://forums.layonara.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=105651

If you gather the ingredients Drexia can make them just do see what they do. (She wouldn't make them ICly though)

Chazzler

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 08:42:51 am »
    Im pretty sure that their req's is a lvl 14 character in total and at least one level in wizard due to game mechanics :)

Fatherchaos

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 03:13:44 pm »
    Level 14 character requiremnt, with at least one level of wizzy confirmed.

I do agree they are pretty useless combatively when Dur'Thak's swords and spells and everything else he has at lvl 14 significantly outdamages them. Just have a bit of that "cool" factor (kind of like the level 20 shield I can't use LOL). Looks like I can move forward with a bit of rp then :) Thanks all.

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »
    I'd use a pair of boxing gloves that all they did was grant Improved Unarmed Strike... ;)

Fatherchaos

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:11:12 pm »
    A certain "balrog" from a particular video game that involved a "fighter" on the  "street" of someplace comes to mind :)

Spike

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:52:38 am »
    *reboot of old thread*

I just had a look at the Claws of the Lich and its requirements are: level required 14, only usable by Pale Master, Unholy Champion of Corath/Pyrtechon and Wizard. Are its effects only usable when unarmed? It seems strange to me that the only two classes that fight unarmed (monk and Sacred Fist) can't use them. If this is the case have the team thought about editing them so that they can be used with a weapon? It seems a shame that such a cool evil item can only be used for rp, being useless for anything else.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:01:21 pm »
    Granted, wizards don't typically get unto melee fights, and those that do tend to have some other form of martial training rather than "unarmed." So yeah, those gloves aren't too useful except as an RP item. That said, if you were to find a (insanely rare) strength tome and apply it to the gloves, then they would be useful for a Champion as a booster to strength, while also providing the unarmed and RP benefits.

ycleption

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 12:06:07 pm »
    I could be wrong, but I think I've read elsewhere that this kind of thing is hard-coded, so it can't be changed... and really, being able to add negative damage and con drain to a weapon without increasing the effective level req. strikes me as rather unbalanced in any case.

Spike

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 12:13:26 pm »
    Quote from: ycleption
    being able to add negative damage and con drain to a weapon without increasing the effective level req. strikes me as rather unbalanced in any case.

Well if they weren't hard coded than this could simply be fixed with an increase in the level required ;) .

Part of them must be editable as two of layo's custom classes are listed in the requirments. Im just curious why the Monk and Sacred Fist are unable to use them?

Ravemore

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:06 pm »
    Quote from: lonnarin
    Just never pick your nose.  Else the hairs will spring to life like evards black tentacles and consume your hand.

Dude... you kill me.... :D