The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Haven Mines  (Read 702 times)

Shiokara

Haven Mines
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »
I took a run through the Haven Mines today, which I don't normally do. And I just want to say that even though it's easily accessible, this dungeon is beautifully designed. The map waypoints for the Main Furnace, Equipment Sheds, etc. are a nice touch. Additionally, the inability to rest inside really adds to the challenge level of the dungeon since it is so long. The fourth floor feels like an accomplishment, and is quite imposing, because of its openness and scale compared to the narrow complex of passages linking up to it. Very nicely done.

The following users thanked this post: ShiffDrgnhrt

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Haven Mines
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:12:41 pm »
On behalf of whoever designed it (Chongo?  Dorg?  Someone before them?), you're welcome.  :)

Chongo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »
Wasn't me.  That is a very old map, could've been Pan.  Pretty sure it was here when I first joined, so it predates most of us that are still around.  Maybe G?

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:06:05 am »
The areas underwent some minor tweaking back when the foes changed from ogres to gnolls, but Haven's been here as long as I have, so I have no idea who designed it honestly.

Guardian 452

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:23:53 am »
Many parts of Haven Mine even pre-date me (pre Oct 2003).

I miss dead ox alley.

Back in the day when ogres ran the place. One could solo the place around level 9 or so (6 with some classes). So the weapon and armor smiths would take their OX down with them and load up. Haven Mines had several more ore nodes then too.

On the way back out the one spawn was set to spawn ontop of you and you were surrounded. Many an ox met their maker in that spot.. leaving many a miner to crawl to the surface overloaded with Iron Ore.

Also from my DM days.... that place has special settings that make it harder to detect traps. I nearly got Triba killed and did manage to get Pankoki po'ed at me.... thought I was placing them at Tribas feet.... which I wasnt they had been there way ahead of her... they should have been easy traps for her to find but she never detected them.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:06:13 am »
I have lots and lots of memories in those stinking mines. Hundreds of death by ogres back in the day with Cole, heh.

Fian Bearsark

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »
Ogres to trolls now, oh my! I remember many harrowing runs through the old mines, especially all those chokepoints in doorways and narrow halls. And I do remember that last spawn on your way out, right when you thought you could make it ;-) Everybody was really disciplined in the first level then pandemonium set in as people started dying further down. What fun!

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
Not trolls but gnolls.  Still as fun as it ever was, but more dangerous.

anything