The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Help! I'm new and I don't know where to go/what to do?  (Read 270 times)

Krell Himmler

Help! I'm new and I don't know where to go/what to do?
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:33:24 pm »
Ok, well I haven't been here the longest amount of time.......But I was just going to jot down a few things about good places to go at certain levels. I noticed a plateau at about level 8 and the difficulties continue until about level 11 when things open up a bit, so I'll write a quick guide as to good places to go and RP/Adventure. It is by no means exhaustive and if you feel necessary delete it but I hope to just give them a few pointers. This list doesn't take into account the power of your character and is still intended for groups of roughly 4 people:

This isn't meant to mitigate exploring, but just give a few heads ups to new players. One may say explore...but I dare say all the veterans starting new characters know all of this already. But new people starting new characters don't and perhaps it will help them out a little and improve new player retention.

Levels 1-2: Hempstead Sewers (Stephen)
Levels 3-4: Skeletons in the crypts of Vehl.
Levels 5-6: Dirty Claw Kobold Camp near Hempstead.
Levels 6-8: Goblin Wastelands near Hlint
Levels 9-10: Krashin go from Hempstead docks to Leringard to Krashin, you will need 4 tickets. Follow the road out of the city then go north, then east again (think?). You will reach a wolverine camp just past that is a great place to adventure. NB don't go alone :P.
Around Levels 10 till 17 you can survive in Dregar in a balanced group. Audira is a good staring area and in a few levels you can go to the forest giants, near lake Corax.

Failing that, if you're still having problems getting orientated or getting a foot in the door, I'm online a lot, just send me a tell in game (Lucius Kaiser) and I will Rp with you and show you around or just let you know, your choice. But I'm always happy to help if I have the time (please don't message me asking for or expecting xp runs/power levelling, I won't answer or help!).

I hope this finds its way to some new people and helps them get settled.

The following users thanked this post: Stephen_Zuckerman

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Help! I'm new and I don't know where to go/what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:00:48 am »
Levels 1-2 may also find the sewers of Port Hempstead to be full of interesting activity. ;) Just finding the entrance is the trick, eh?

The note about Tells applies to myself, as well - need a guide? Pyyran's almost always perfectly happy to help, and my goal in RP is usually to try to provide as entertaining an experience as I can. The best part of any performance is having others enjoy it.

Lynn1020

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:13 am »
Still think its best to do this IC instead of posting it in the forms.  Much more fun. :)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:57 am »
While I agree with you on the things for levels 6+ or so, those first few levels are difficult to get through, even if you're familiar with the place! As a new player, the sheer SIZE of the module can be extremely disorienting... So a few nods in the right direction, I think, (or at least somewhere to start in terms of asking folks) aren't amiss.

Krell Himmler

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:18:26 am »
Quote from: Lynn1020
Still think its best to do this IC instead of posting it in the forms.  Much more fun. :)

Whilst I agree it's more fun IC, I just hope to catch some people here who would not have met me or not have thought they could ask me if they needed to, and I hope they read it and think, hey, "i'll look that guy up and ask him for help".

Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
While I agree with you on the things for levels 6+ or so, those first few levels are difficult to get through, even if you're familiar with the place! As a new player, the sheer SIZE of the module can be extremely disorienting... So a few nods in the right direction, I think, (or at least somewhere to start in terms of asking folks) aren't amiss.

Some people seem to hate tells....passionately. Personally I think they're an excellent way to get help and a solution IG or just to ask a question about mechanics or something you aren't sure of. I may run into a new player by accident and help them, or I could miss them completely; end result could be that they get disillusioned and leave and we don't want that :D.

There some way we can perhaps make a group get it public, kinda like a welcome wagon perhaps? I'm sure Stephen would be up for it and I definitely am. Just people who agree to look out for new people and help orientate them ^^. Perhaps on character creation our forum name, acc/character name would be posted so they have someone to contact? To catch them and make sure they don't feel on their own...

Lynn1020

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:04 am »
Thats great but I thought that was what the other post was for.  You don't want to give away to much before they even get in the game. ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:58:55 am »
Well, we already do have the Stormcrest Guides... Unfortunately, we're a bit inactive at the moment - something several of us have been trying valiantly to correct.

Mayhap if we had a requests forum (NUDGE NUDGE), the link could be included in the Approve macro.

Primalfear

• Followers of Prunilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:00:40 pm »
Hey I just point me where to post for the stormcrest guides application and I can have two of my chars join them :D

Primalfear

• Followers of Prunilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:02:48 pm »
It's fun to see the help that goes around in this community, keep it up.

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:11 pm »
Well, just point me where I can post to join the Mistone guides, and I can have two of my chars join them :D

Falonthas

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:26 pm »
for those that dont always have a group though
stay on the roads and you will find your way pretty much safely around mistone

Hellblazer

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:31:07 pm »
Just pmed Chongo thanks

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:23 pm »
LORE is your friend
LORE: Beginner Guides

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »
Hey, I'd never seen that page before. Huh. Some LORE Teamer I am. xD

EdTheKet

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 04:06:49 pm »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
Hey, I'd never seen that page before. Huh. Some LORE Teamer I am. xD

Well, it has only been there since: Last Updated: 15/05/2006 01:15:00, by TalanValash  ;)

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 04:12:50 pm »
Wow, did we even HAVE LORE in May '06?

Jeez. I've been here longer than I thought.

Edit: Oh, and Ed? If your Sig were a LORE page, I'd fix it, but I can't. Your links are way out of date. ;)