The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Hide in Plain Sight (Ranger)  (Read 3558 times)

jadewillow

Hide in Plain Sight (Ranger)
« on: June 17, 2021, 10:01:54 pm »
Seems this has been updated recently. As it describes, I assume this only suppose to work in 'wilderness' settings. Forests and above ground?

Thanks.

Lily

Re: Hide in Plain Sight (Ranger)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 10:24:54 am »
To my knowledge the feat has not been updated recently. Ranger HiPS always had some limitations compared to the vanilla one. Maybe the IG description changed to avoid confusion.

As it describes, rangers can only use HiPS is certain areas which have natural surroundings, i.e. forests, swamps, meadows. Generally speaking, it can be used in most outdoor / rural areas. It should also work in natural caves and other areas under ground.

davidhoff

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 03:17:22 pm »
I've tried it a few times with Gumbo with no buffs and he always gets noticed.  He has better luck in the same areas when he buffs up his hide and ms.  But the unbuffed hips should ( if working) give the same or better results.  IMO its bugged.

Chazzler

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 03:34:36 pm »
Does Light effects from items or the Light spell have any adverse effect on Ranger HIPS?

davidhoff

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 07:49:00 pm »
Im not sure but Gum has all light removed.

Lily

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 01:11:54 am »
Does Light effects from items or the Light spell have any adverse effect on Ranger HIPS?
If there is a source of light nearby you cannot use HiPS, whether it be from any kind of equipment or a torch, the spell light etc

willhoff

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 01:44:11 am »
Does that apply to only ranger HIPS or also vanilla HIPS?  Because I recall Tod Fellow using HIPS in Vehl arena (well lit area) against Wren and Tod Felow was unseen until he sneak attacked Wren and then poof gone until he attacked again.

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 11:52:24 am »
Orth has indeed modified the feat. It is no longer the layo custom script. It is an adapted version of the shadow dancer script. It will indeed work only in wilderness, but I think it also works underground (cave and such) haven't tested it thoroughly underground.

Instead of taking a second of complete inaction to activate, it activates exactly like it would for the shadow dancer, and with that you can use it in combat too.

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle

Hellblazer

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 11:53:34 am »
I've tried it a few times with Gumbo with no buffs and he always gets noticed.  He has better luck in the same areas when he buffs up his hide and ms.  But the unbuffed hips should ( if working) give the same or better results.  IMO its bugged.

Would depend on your score. Hips is dependent on the hide score, the higher you have it and the better it will be, also dependent on where you are doing it. In a city or in a building, it won't work.

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 11:54:28 am »

No, not anymore, it used to do that with the old script, but as far as I've seen it doesn't affect it any longer (Feh has a permanent green light on his dual blade and he is still able to use hips), remember last time we went to fight in the GF you asked Feh to show himself, I was armed at that moment so I had a light source.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:56:44 am by Hellblazer »

jadewillow

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 12:25:04 pm »
Thanks for the responses folks. It did not seem to work for Tane in the Rift the other day. It use to. There is not indication that its failing due to light, or anything indication it is been successful. I'll try to duplicate it and update here.

jadewillow

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 01:11:00 pm »
So you should see (in yellow) Using Hide in Plain Sight when the area allows it. If the area does not, its just a ordinary stealth. In the Rift its just an ordinary stealth. I'll just need to test those old areas (like the Rift and Deep) to see if it works anymore underground. Thanks.

davidhoff

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 04:01:18 pm »

Would depend on your score. Hips is dependent on the hide score, the higher you have it and the better it will be, also dependent on where you are doing it. In a city or in a building, it won't work.

Ah thanks HB you learned me.  I thought hips was like gsanc where it was auto unseen.  I was wrong and i wiki'd it and all it does is let you use your stealth skills while being seen and even during combat.

davidhoff

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 04:04:54 pm »

No, not anymore, it used to do that with the old script, but as far as I've seen it doesn't affect it any longer (Feh has a permanent green light on his dual blade and he is still able to use hips), remember last time we went to fight in the GF you asked Feh to show himself, I was armed at that moment so I had a light source.

That's good news Orth changed that because i recall gum standing near van (who is lit like the white house) and gum wd try to use hips and he geta a read out that you cant use hips bc you're too close to a light source.

anything