The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: How about you?  (Read 201 times)

Dyness

• View Profile
    How about you?
    « on: April 03, 2005, 10:51:00 pm »
    Seems everytime I create a character I never get it the way I want, I either miss a feat, or underestimate a skill. In my case with Dyness, I never considered how important the tumble feature was. Reading about it I could not see any use to it, don't ask why.. but with the added points from the cougar armor I believe.. I now see how useful it is, and only with 3+ points in it! So I have a bone to pick with myself and don't mind making fun of myself. With my skill points I for some odd reason began to put a few points into parry.. PARRY, a skill I do not see any use in at all unless I wanna spend time laughing at goblins.. also for some odd reason I put a point in lore because I wanted to be able to identitfy items, DOH!, it seems I need a lot more points for that to work well.. should have put that in heal or tumble! So we arrive at my inability to manage my skills points, something that bugs me but I'll live with it. So now I ask you, what have you done to your character that you regret a little and want to hit yourself for doing. Hopefully I am not the only one that makes mistakes, leveling is not an everday event so I mean when you make a mistake you will live with it for a while.. keep in mind I'm not asking anyone to change my character or anything like that, also if anyone posts, I wish they do not ask for changes either. Just post one or two things you regret, let's all have a good laugh  :)   .... maybe the server is up, I'm done writing, see yah.

Vyris

RE: How about you?
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 10:57:00 pm »
    I havedone some things like that, my problem is I get wishy-washey with what I am doing... and I going for this PRC, or am I going to stay this class, ooh! that souinds fun, now I just need 3 points in a stat I shorted at character creation... blast!

hehe indecisiveness is the Bane of people like me playing games like this.

I agree with the parry thing though it has saved my life once, hit it accidentally when I was trying to run away or die, the monster caught me at an area transfer, but couldn't hit me, my dex wasn't high enough really to riposte on it much, but I lived untill someone walked by and flung a magic missile at it and helped me out.

Vyris

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 11:03:00 pm »
    About Tumble - Tumble isnt a class skill for a druid, you would have had to pay 2 skill points for every point you put in it.  Its not the only skill that gives you a synergistic bonus every five ranks either.  Spellcraft for one, gives you a +1 to your saves vs. spells every 5 ranks (which can be the difference between life and death if you get hit by a FoD.)

About less than ideal skill point choices - Talan has 3 ranks in both craft weapon and craft armor.  Which has its uses i suppose... but... not real smart. heh.

But, skill point choices aren't incredibly important.  They're important, but they're not going to doom your character to failure in the way that several bad feat choices could.

Gulnyr

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:36:00 pm »
    I took Expertise without really thinking of what I was doing.  It's not a horrible choice, but I've never used it and it doesn't lead anywhere Gulnyr's heading.  I can't remember if I took it as a Fighter Bonus Feat or not.  If not, I would rather have used my brain and gotten Iron Will.  If it was a FBF, I think I should have gone with Weapon Focus or Improved Critical, maybe.

Gulnyr's got one skill point in Concentration for some reason.  I don't remember doing that, but there it is.

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:02:00 am »
    Expertise is one of the best feats available. The 5 AC bonus has let Valianne survive a lot of horrors.
    Although the 4 points in Appraise might have been better put elsewhere. ;)

Ar7

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:00 am »
    During one of my brilliant mind storms I put around 3 points into spot....instead of lore and Rufus is a wizard *sighs* Now his lore lacks. But I intend to fix that during my next level up.

s0ulz

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 12:41:00 am »
    Well.. it happens when you're careless... heck I've created a dualwielding character with 13 dex unknowing of the ambidexterity feat requierments. And Fenrir has points in lore.. I find it normal for him to know items he has learned about from dwarven loremasters :x.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 12:43:00 am »
    Ta'k has 27 points of lore and 0 spell craft... guess who never gets to cast epic spells...

He was made before Shadows or Hordes came out though... but still.

But oh well. Not many other pure clerics around with a 31 strength and improved power attack... so that keeps me kinda unique. Hehe.

freemen2

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 04:57:00 am »
    Used 5points in craft wepons and armor when I first created Path...not exactly a smart move, lol.

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:00:00 am »
    Characters with Flaws are fun and it makes the world go round.
    Imagine if everyone In the real world was perfect.
    Boring

ZeroVega

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:34:00 am »
      I have some of the most useless skills out there... to the naked eye anyway. Gather Information, Search, Spot, Bluff, Persuade, and Appraise. Not gonna be useful at all if you're soloing and fighting people, but I have to say it's very fun to use on quests. So I'm lacking in that department, and then I made a booboo upon character creations with my ability points, but I live with it. Very important to have characters that aren't always perfect, give them err... character.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 06:26:00 am »
    I once had a Sorcerer that took Mobility and Spring Attack, and a Ranger with Combat Casting.

I can't say i made many mistakes with Syn, well perhaps with the ability points on the char creation, but overall, the only different skill point option i took from the regular Paladin builds was 1 point on Spellcraft, due to an RP aspect (yeah i tested his build lots and lots of times until i got a nice one with cool results... elven paladins aren't easy to build, heh).

RikL

• View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 07:22:00 am »
      the real thing to say here is... so what?! they are only stats! cant always be perfect... I dislike a perfected character in terms of stats, feats and skills.

I try and make my choices in level up and character creation to be dependant on what has happened in game as far as possible. e.g. someone spent a lot of time with Tom teaching him about his sorcery, learning to control it... for that level I therefore took sorcerer, with concentration points and spellcraft, to reflect the teaching. Also, the more he hides in town and plays tricks on people, the more likely he is to gain rogue levels for hide and move silently skills.

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 08:28:00 am »
      Saddest build and longest  character i had was on Farghaus Krynn.
      Storm Gandolph cleric/Paladin
      Charisma: 9

He was my character for almost 2 years lv 12 cause there you had to wait real life weeks and months to level up as well as have a PC trainer send you on a mission.

RikL

• View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 08:31:00 am »
        I remember playing on Krynn when i first started nwn.... what an awful server it was!

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
        Guys, this was a fun post about where we'd made little stupid mistakes that dont really matter.

I'd really like to see that anyone that wants to be involved in such a disscussion not have the words powergamer thrown at them.

Dyness

• View Profile
          « Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
          yah.. I made this post because I was bored and just laughing at some of my decisions.. I'm not out to powergame, I'm just out to make my "ideal" character, didn't go the way I want so I'll learn but I still enjoy playing.... otherwise I would have scrapped the char and restarted if I felt the new to powergame.

Doc-Holiday

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 07:57:00 pm »
          Force_of_Will_ - 4/4/2005  6:00 AM

Characters with Flaws are fun and it makes the world go round.
          Imagine if everyone In the real world was perfect.
          Boring

what are you saying? I'm not boring!

RikL

• View Profile
            « Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 06:24:00 am »
            Nobody is accusing anyone here of powergaming, which is the result of a mis-read of a badly phrased line. The line was aimed to those newer (and older?) players here (nobody in particular) who do spend far too long trying to get their stats perfected.

pulindar

• View Profile
              « Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 06:36:00 am »
              once with Ceala i was leveling and for the skill points i accedently went and clicked recomended. I still don't know what the skills it chose were i guess ill find out when she levels again.  RP is becoming so much more fun than leveling though.

anything