The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: How to PvP - The Mechanics vs. RP  (Read 782 times)

Pen N Popper

How to PvP - The Mechanics vs. RP
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:17:28 pm »
I have a new goblin PC and have been putting him in situations where other PCs can have the freedom of how to deal with him.  So far it's been great fun and I hope the other players are enjoying the encounters as well.

I have had some questions about how to handle the mechanics of the PvP widget and thought I'd share my learnings here.

If you are in a party and someone uses the PvP widget on you or anyone else in the party, you will all receive a message:[INDENT]The Party: So-and-so, is requesting to PvP with your party.
[/INDENT]Only the leader of a party can accept a PvP challenge.  This can be troublesome if everyone doesn't understand this, especially if the leader is in another area and completely unaware of the situation.  The best suggestion is that prior to using the PvP widget you send a tell to the person you are targetting to see if they are in a party or leader of it.  This is so that they can accept or decline themselves.

Now, once the first PC has used their PvP widget on you, you or your group need to accept the challenge.  When the appropriate person uses their widget to accept, the following message is displayed to the entire party:[INDENT]Your party leader has accepted a PvP challenge from So-and-so. Leave party within 60 seconds if you do not wish to participate.

Please set So-and-so, to Hostile in your Player List window.
[/INDENT]Leaving the party is not a requirement in terms of game mechanics.  However, you should declare your intention to join in by setting the opponents to hostile.  It would be very bad form to stand at the edge in friendly mode only to jump in later.  You are either in or out.

Now, don't fight yet!  There will be a message after 60 seconds signalling when to begin.[INDENT]Your PvP session has now begun. You are allowed to PvP for up to 15 minutes, or until you die.
[/INDENT]When you see that, that is when you are back in-character.  I say in-character because between the acceptance and the signal to start, there should be absolutely no in-character activities!  You should treat the game as paused for you and your opponents.[INDENT][LIST=1]
  • Do not rest!
  • Do not buff you and your comrades!
  • Do not move to more strategic location!
  • Do not swap in and out armor and gear!
  • Do not summon anything!
  • Do get yourself ready mentally for some fun and excitement!
[/INDENT]It is important to remember that PvP can be very nerve racking for many.  A lot of us likely don't have much experience with this and we find our hearts racing and palms sweaty on the mouse.  Don't worry!  You'll be fine no matter the outcome.

What happens if you get killed?  When you die, there is no roll against the Soul Mother if you used the PvP widget!  (Note that there is currently a bug such that if a summon kills you, you will still roll for a loss of a soul strand.  Don't panic if this happens, just make a posting on the forums in the Disputes & Grievances.)  When you respawn, a gravestone is left for you and you are sent back to your bindstone to reflect.

After time has expired, you will see a message:[INDENT]Your PvP session has ended. Please set everyone back to Neutral or Friend in your Player List window. You will not be able to participate in PvP for 60 minutes.
[/INDENT]Now comes the tricky part:  You must handle this event ICly.  How would your PC react to being beaten?  Did you know the PC's name ICly?  Would you even recognize them again?

Let's back up a bit and look at the RP that must necessarily surround all of this.  Of course prior to using the PvP widget you and the other PC are going to be talking back and forth, posturing and such.  

[INDENT]You, a paladin of always-right, see a drow minding his own business squarely in the middle of the path on a rainy day. (#1)  You, not wishing to muddy your old green boots by walking off the path, tell him to step aside.  The drow simply laughs at you and puts hands on hips. (#2)  You draw your sword and tell him that only does he need to leave the path, but head all the way back to whatever hole he crawled out of.  The drow casts a defensive spell upon himself and pulls out his own blade. (#3)  The paladin then laughs and the two embrace and exchange flowers since everyone knows there are no evil drow outside of the underdark. (At this point, the observers should all use their PvP widgets on the paladin and drow.)
[/INDENT]In the scenario above, there are three numbered places where the PvP widget would make sense to use.  Perhaps #1 is a bit early.  The second point is a good spot since while the widget is entirely OOC, it does serve the purpose of notifying everyone of how serious the situation can become.  Point #3 will probably be the most common since it is the point just before the actual clash of battle.  My points about no resting, etc. during the 60 second wait period above are most applicable to this point.  

Remember too, just because the PvP widget has been used, doesn't mean that it has to result in combat.  It's also not bad to mix in some RP during the combat itself.  Some PvP practice in the arena with your comrades will help you get a better feel for what is possible and the flow of PC vs. PC compared to PC vs. monster.

I hope this helps make your PvP scenarios run a bit smoother.

MJZ

Re: How to PvP - The Mechanics vs. RP
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:44:57 pm »
Thanks very much for this helpful post. I hope everyone gets a chance to read it!

I have to stress the mention of sending a Tell to the party leader so that they can accept or decline the PvP. This occurred to me recently, and as I was not in the area and crafting, I completely missed the message. Just to keep things as clean as possible, let's make sure our party leader is informed, or drop party before PvPing.

It's great to hear the rules and etiquette once more, Pen. I was a bit leery as to all the fine details - this definitely cleared things up. *Commits to memory*

Falonthas

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:55:18 pm »
this is indeed very helpful
any way to get a sticky?

Drizzlin

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:22:25 pm »
Quote from: Pen N Popper

When you see that, that is when you are back in-character.  I say in-character because between the acceptance and the signal to start, there should be absolutely no in-character activities!  You should treat the game as paused for you and your opponents.[INDENT][LIST=1]
  • Do not rest!
  • Do get yourself ready mentally for some fun and excitement![/LIST
This part right here is the big one. I have already had a run in with a group who wanted to attack my PC. I started sending tells and asking them if they knew what they were getting into, and then they all started resting and buffing. I followed doing the same, but avoided using the widget after that.

Great post and again, I stress this is an important part of the whole event.

Ravemore

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 04:03:25 pm »
Quote from: Drizzlin
This part right here is the big one. I have already had a run in with a group who wanted to attack my PC. I started sending tells and asking them if they knew what they were getting into, and then they all started resting and buffing. I followed doing the same, but avoided using the widget after that.

I think that would have probably turned me off to the PVP and resulted in me "vanishing." LOL Who in their right mind would lay down in front of the enemy and rest before attacking anyway? Especially a Dark Elf?? O.o

bowfreak

• Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:15:38 pm »
I don't know what happened before but I was killed by a PC while he was confused and I did not get a SM roll. Don't know if I got lucky or if PvP or CvC does not get you a roll. Anyone can confirm this?

Falonthas

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »
no soulstrand worry from pvp
unless its a summon that does the actual kill

and i think i read the team is fixing this so it wont give a strand either

Guardian 452

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:12:49 am »
Quote from: Pen N Popper

[INDENT][LIST=1]
  • Do not rest!
  • Do get yourself ready mentally for some fun and excitement!
[/INDENT].

So if I see someone who wants to PvP me with a Bow and I have a sword I cant switch to a bow? I have to just stand there and eat his arrows? Or While standing and eating his arrows I cant get my shiled or cast something like Entropic Shield?

If I see they look bigger than me when they charge me (ask for PvP with the widget thing)... I cant call for help?  (summon pets)

If I follow the sugestions you put here I would not PvP very often.

Pseudonym

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 01:31:16 am »
I think the point was more feel free to do things that might realistically happen in the chest-beating prior to a fight ... but not things that would not realistically occur.

That's how I read it.

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 01:45:18 am »
Quote from: Guardian 452
So if I see someone who wants to PvP me with a Bow and I have a sword I cant switch to a bow? I have to just stand there and eat his arrows? Or While standing and eating his arrows I cant get my shiled or cast something like Entropic Shield?

If I see they look bigger than me when they charge me (ask for PvP with the widget thing)... I cant call for help?  (summon pets)

If I follow the sugestions you put here I would not PvP very often.

i think this was meant as the 60 second waiting time is in motion, after that it is IC and what ever you char would do usualy, you could do.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 03:04:57 am »
Yeah. The 60 seconds in which you two get set to go, OOC. Just like it was designed. No IC preps, then... Those wait until you're in-play again.

blonde

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 03:35:16 am »
Great post. And to answer a couple of questions.

There is never any soulstrand loss from being killed by another PC. Currently you can risk it if a summon kills you, but that should be fixed in the next update.

The 60 seconds should be considered OOC, they are there to give people time to leave party (meaning they will leave the PvP session), or to set their enemies to Hostile.

Prior to using the widget you are free to prepare for battle as much as you want, though remember to keep it all IC. Dont start resting at the feet of the drow whose mother you just insulted.

Hellblazer

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 03:45:39 am »
Imagine the little brownie (which i have not seen any in a long time) rest at the feet of the half giant which (as stated above) he insulted his mother.. nice image there blonde.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 07:57:07 am »
@Guardian 452

I meant that list to apply only during that 60 second window.  Of course during the RP before and after that time you can do whatever you wish.

I've added a small paragraph regarding that to the original post.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 10:13:58 am »
*bump*

Really, if you're going to challenge someone do it for RP.  Don't assume that just because you're a low level and they're higher that PvP is not "fair."  PvP is RP too.  Using the widget doesn't mean that combat is guaranteed to happen, it's more of an indicator of what could happen.  If you decide for whatever reason that combat is not for you, RP your way out of it.  PvP is not an OOC act.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:50 pm »
Bumping for the couple new players around. Since I'm not allowed to chop down Misted Village bandits alone, Dubbel will surely be thumping a few heads in other villages. Perhaps he'll put on a show in your home town!

While he'd only have to kill 40 bandits (I was reprimanded on the final trip to level him), it takes an infinite number of PvPs to level. :)

anything