The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: I'm thinking about giving this server a try....  (Read 77 times)

I'm thinking about giving this server a try....
« on: June 09, 2005, 02:00:00 pm »
...but before I do I have a few questions that I would like to have answered to make sure that this server is the right place for me.

1.  How does the game handle new characters?  Is it assumed that you were born and raised in the game-world?  Or were to summoned there from another part of the game-world or even summoned from another game-world?

2.  In the Character Submissions - Basic Guide is states that when I submit a character that I also have to submit what classes my character will be.  Do I have to plan out what classes my character will be in advance?  Like lets say I start out as a Fighter and later in my Fighters life (through role-playing) he finds faith in a God and would like to enter service to the God's Chruch.  Now even tho in my character submission I said my character was just going to be a Fighter does that force me to stay in the role of a Fighter?  Or could my character join the Chruch and take up the class of a Cleric or Paladin?

3.  I see that the server uses a trade-skill system.  I personally do not like them.  I spend 10 - 14 hours a day working, so the last thing I want to do is log into a server just to find myself having to in put more  working just to get anywhere in the game-world, and it's also been my experience that trade-skills lead to power-gaming.  Is it possible for a character to get by in this world without having to take up a trade-skill?

4.  Running; one of my biggest complaints in NWN is that people run everywhere without worry of tiring out.  It's just not realstic.  How does this server handle running?  Can one run all day/night without the need to rest?

Well I think that just about does it.  I'm sure I'll have somemore questions as people start to answer what I've already asked.

IceDragonDuvessa

RE: I'm thinking about giving this server a try....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
1. You can have either been in the world since birth which is prefered. But if you write up a good story abotu how you got here and why there is some allowance to being from a nother world. The Dragon however doesn't summon from other worlds so you would have had to have been in Layonara before reciving the calling.

2. We like to see a plan for the character at submission, however; through roleplaying and character development quests players can advance their character in most any direction they choose.

3. I play three characters here and only one of them is any good at any of the trades. If you do not wish to craft items you can commission others to make them for you.

4. There is no coded restrictions to running though most of the player base here moderates it themselves in a sensical manner.

ZeroVega

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
1. The Game handles new characters as follows. You are summoned by a Gold Dragon and told of the threats and how you will help to defeat Sinthar Bloodstone. Your character CAN come from another world (ie: Faerun) however the dragon does not summon them directly from that world. They come here of other means (which you will have to write about in your character bio) and then write a bit about what they did on Layonara (can be something small) for the dragon to notice them. (ie: Explored around a lot, found faith in a new god, was trained by a vetran soldier)
  2. No, you must pick a class upon creation, however your RP can dictate which way he goes in the furture. (ie: after role playing, and some good reasons, you can resubmitt your character by adding some stuff to his bio and apply to start taking Paladin levels or whatever)
  3. Yes, characters that don't want to craft can get by just fine. You'll just have to buy your weapons, armor, ect... from people who do craft (which most people do anyway).
  4. Yes you can run all day/night without tiring, though this is a world is 1000+ areas, many of them are very big, and if you don't have time for CNR crafting, you certainly won't have time to move at half speed across this world. Most people walk through towns, and even walk most places, however on many quests, or adventures it's crucial that you run in order to keep the time managable. (ie: you spend 30 minutes running on a quest, 1 hour RPing, and 30 minutes, fighting... well if you walked that'd add another 30 minutes that maybe half the party can't stay for)
    RP is very important, but you have to understand, being a large persistant world with players who just don't have all day to play, we have to keep things managable so they can still have fun in short periods of time.
  Edit After Ice's Post: Everyone writes so fast. :)

Vyris

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 02:31:00 pm »
I just wanted to comment on running.

I tend to walk in towns, dungeons, and when I am travelling from place to place with another person so we can RP along the way, if I am by myself I tend to run (If I wanted to watch the scenery roll by I'd take a bus ride  and go visit my father or something)

Most everyone follows some version of the same general guidelines I do, but, it is a game, and jogging endlessly is one facet of realism I'm willing to fudge on a bit if it means it will enable me to get to where I need to be for quests and RO that much faster, just like I am willing to accept that all the women in the NwN world are supermodels and prefer to wear clothing that really doesn't protect anything vital.
(sorry, my standard gripe about the female body models and the 15 year old boys who were hired to design the clothes.)

Honestly though, If you want to walk everywhere, thats cool, and after a while of jogging if you think it's getting to rediculous extremes just go "*huffs and puffs* I cannot run any further, I am near collapse!" And walk, that would be all it would take to 'jog' (pardon the pun) whoever you are with into a more sedate, RP friendly pace.

Hope to see you online soon, it's a great place to really develope a persona, in a world where your actions really do have an impact on the course of the game.

Vyris

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 03:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the great replys everyone! :)

Between what I've read here in the forums and in the history section I think I have enough background info on the game-world to write up a believeable bio for a charater.

I do have another question.  In-game there's a bio screen for each and every charcter.  Will I have to put my submitted bio in there?  Or could I leave it blank with something like Role-Play for background info?

IceDragonDuvessa

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
feel free to leave it blank

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
I like to see that space used for a physical description.  What you would see by looking at the character.

ZeroVega

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
You can leave it blank if you like, or fill in something like...
  Before you stand a male human.
    Green Eyes, Black Haird, and Pale Skin, standing 6"2 and wearing a Pendent of Toran around his neck he has a very holy air about him, yet something is unsettling. ;) Or do what some do...
    "If you're looking here for my Challenge Rating, shame on you, ten minutes in the corner. If you're looking for a description of my character, try zooming in on him first. If you want my history, check the forum. If you're looking for Waldo, he's not home right now, please leave a message after the beep." *Beep!* :)

feniox

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
you can generally put anything you want in there, most people dont put the bios as it can give away information that people wouldn't know just by looking at you. A lot of people use it as a description of the physical appearance of the character, the thing to remember is only to put what people will see, ie - if you are a Drow trying to conceal your race, it doesnt help when its written in there for people to see :)

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
Ah okay thanks again everyone for the great replies. :)

I personally don't like adding anything to my character's bio other then how the character looks, and would rather have someone else charcter Role-play with mine to the history of my character.  So it's nice to see that I can leave it blank if I want to.  I've been on a few Role-playing based server were they make you add a full bio to your character's bio screen.

With luck I'll see all of you in-game sometime eariler next week.  I've already started working on my characters bio.  I'm not sure about how endepth the background info leading to my character coming to the land of Layonara has to be, so I'm going all out with it. ;)  I just hope that the person that has to approve it likes to read. ;)

Oh and one last thing.  Thanks to whomever made it so a person could come here and ask questions without having to register for the forums first.  It was nice to see that I could still come here and ask my questions without having to give out my e-mail address.  I only wish more forums would do this.

anything