The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ideas to "spice" things up  (Read 468 times)

darkstorme

Re: Ideas to "spice" things up
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 06:11:43 am »
Therise is certainly planning to attend the next Storyteller's Night.

Honora

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 10:26:20 am »
There are a number of festivals and celebrations being written into the next handbook, but might I suggest that our populace put one on themselves?   We have acrobatic types, we have mages galore who can put on quite a light show, there can be food sold by wandering vendors, bards can sing to the crowds...all this can happen and more that I haven't thought of.  Contests, games, treasure hunts, all on one big day.  

As it's been said, pick up the ball and run with it, plan it, make it happen.

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 10:33:37 am »
Just going to try building on to your idea, Honora, and try to be helpful to the topic ;)

Kali's card readings themselves sort of gave me an idea where they can be added into a big gyspy like festival where players can walk around to the gyspy characters (or those posing as one) and have fortunes read, strange gamblings, and fiddle with odd magical devices.

Maybe just do class specific festivals too, where anyone can join but it's that class that does the "exhibits" - i.e. the magic shows and the food sales and all that other stuff.

Perhaps more Foundation related things to help the commoners out where there is a reward for the person who brings in the most gold value or usage value in a specific number of days...Dunno, whatever! :)

I do want to see this infamous halfling pie insanity. Where is it? I've eaten pies in front of a dozen halflings, and only two have ever really reacted to my knowledge (and currently shot memory).

A halfling festival, even! Admission fee then free pies and pie contests and other pie-oriented things for all. Yay.

On the flipside, for our more shady characters, any good festival is a good festival to con, cheat, steal, crash, and otherwise play tricks upon.

I'll think of actual ideas once the coffee kicks in.

mixafix

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 10:56:54 am »
With regard the Bounty Hunter idea, I have run a couple of 'Greatly desired' (Most wanted)  notices out of Port Hempstead, which have been left to run themselves by players. I will continue to run these, though whether it can be weekly is another tale.

I have in the past left clues to treasure lost in a dungeon, over a week or so. This generated some interest as people tried to work out where it might be, and it encouraged some discussion and RP along the way.

These ideas rely on the server staying up for a bit or monitoring on a daily basis.

But I think both are pretty sound, and using the Town Crier or other PCs (like bards or appropriate officials) to spread stories works too.

I would suggest a lot of these ideas have been run before and or still are, and it may just be the frequency of such events that irk. GM's feed off response ..so this post is a good one that allows GMs to see what people are looking for. So thanks for that.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 11:04:24 am »
You know I actually tend to agree with Joyrock.

Where I come from it was just words. No GMs or fancy pictures and areas, no one watching and regulating us. No rewards for good rp just words because we felt like doing it, not because we'd be rewarded for doing so.

I also tend to agree with Honora on this one: Time to take stuff into our own hands as well , and just put stuff up on the Calander. I've been complaining about not seeing anyone pacing back and forth from Vhel to Hempstead, well...time for me to mold the RP Around me then.

So People, come up with something and post it. I see a few people doing so, and think its generally a good initiative!

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 11:23:36 am »
If Rhynn stands up with free food and starts randomly casting things and making pretty lights, you'll bound to have a crowd in Hempstead... Just because people by nature amass to wherever there's action.

I just stay out of the towns since Amaris isn't a town person and Kinai's got a 2 month old baby to take care of.

LordCove

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 11:28:38 am »
I've tried arranging quite a few Player Events....which met with varied success from no-one turning up to having so many turn up I couldn't keep up with the text.

I'd like to remind folks about the "Quest Map" function....I tried a few but had limited success.
It's fairly easy for some high levels to grab a Map from the Vendor's, take it to some fairly dangerous place and bury it with items they dont use....then hand it to some low levels with a riddle to get them started.
Your'e starting with some good RP to get the map, then puzzle work to solve the riddle, then a good old treasure hunt to find it.

ycleption

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 11:58:38 am »
Just to be the contrary voice...
To a certain extent, I tend to avoid large gatherings like festivals just because with too many people on the screen I lag really badly and sometimes crash. I have a very hard time RPing in those situations. If it weren't for the technical issues, I'm sure I would enjoy such gatherings.

Most of the best RP I've had on Layonara has been from random, unplanned, unDMed meetings. For instance, last night I was recovering from death, and wandered to Stormcrest, found Ozy talking. He dropped a random name, and when I asked who this person was, he told a story, which then turned into a discussion about good and evil, light and dark. Now, that kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time, there's a lot of bland small-talk type RP in between the high moments. But, that kind of small talk often generates more interesting moments. I think if anyone spends some time and effort they will find strong RP.

That said, if I were to host an event, it might be something like open political/news/history discussion, because there's a lot of game knowledge that isn't easy to find out about if you don't know the right people.