The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Festivals  (Read 217 times)

SquareKnot

Festivals
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:40:40 pm »
Pen N Popper's thread about spicing things up [thread=116347]over here[/thread] got me thinking about something.

What did nobility in the real Middle Ages do when they got bored?
Declared a holiday!

The Handbook is full of holidays for races and deities. Goran's "Day of Fixing," Lucinda's "Hosting of the Weave" (though maybe not the Night of Flesh and Magic, ahem.), Prunilla's Planting and Harvest Days, and many more. The new Handbook probably has an even more extensive list.

So let's declare some of these in a way that players know when they occur and watch what happens.

There are time dialation problems, of course, since the "annual" holiday would come around just about every RL month or so and last just a few RL hours. It probably wouldn't line up with the Layo calendar for the holiday, either. But let's just ignore that and have a given festival last a real life week and only celebrate any given holiday once a real life year or whatever makes sense.

It would give people something new to discuss. It would give followers of certain deities, home towns, races, etc a change to role play something different. It would give people a reason to go buy new clothes or to stock up on pie. If something went wrong, you could explain it on account of it being the Black Sun's Day of Darkness (as an cheesy example-- not a real thing as far as I know). All kinds of superstitions could be roleplayed.

I think if we got organized and calendared some of these holidays, people would respond with player run events around the themes (a pilgrimage, a party, a Voraxian axe sharpening festival, ...) to flesh out the events.

Is there a list of holidays already compiled somewhere by the Writing Team? Is there some reason we can't just take the forum calendar and throw some of these existing feast days onto it and watch what ensues?

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Chongo

Pen N Popper

Re: Festivals
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:47:41 pm »

SquareKnot

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:37:10 pm »
A quick culling of the LORE deity references gives:
  • Jan 1st  -- Rebirth of Good -- Vorax
  • Jan 3rd  -- Hosting of the Weave -- Lucinda
  • Mar 1st  -- Rites of Affirmation -- Lucinda
  • Mar 15th -- Planting Day -- Prunilla
  • Mar 20th -- 1st day of spring -- Folian S'pae
  • Mar 20th -- Birth of Giants -- Grannoch
  • Mar 20th -- Spring -- Katia
  • Apr 24th -- Great Fixing -- Goran
  • Jun 1-7  -- The Returning -- Shindaleria
  • Jun 1st  -- Rites of Affirmation -- Lucinda
  • Jun 3rd  -- Hosting of the Weave -- Lucinda
  • Jun 20th -- Summer -- Katia
  • Sep 1st  -- Rites of Affirmation -- Lucinda
  • Sep 15th -- Harvest Day -- Prunilla
  • Sep 20th -- Fall -- Katia
  • Oct 13th -- Day of Amazing Innovations -- Goran
  • Dec 1st  -- Rites of Affirmation -- Lucinda
  • Dec 21st -- Winter -- Katia

Others, with no clear calendar date are:
  • Ascension -- Az'atta (Goran and Aragen)
  • Full Moon (either Ausir or Orn) -- Aeridin
  • Full Moon -- Ilsare
  • Festival of Lucinda's Flare -- Lucinda
  • Initiation Day -- Rofirein

I suggest that we celebrate them on or near the real life day on which they fall. Yes, that may put the first day of Spring in the middle of the Layo winter (or something like that) but without epic time stop, there's not much we can do. Does anyone have a better idea?

Your character may or may not know about the holiday ICly (or may not care), but at least now you, the player, do OOCly.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 12:45:52 pm »
I won't say much more, but Az'atta doesn't work on a calander date and is more based on something else. You'll have to wait for the handbook :( Sorry.

deagle

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 10:47:08 pm »
Don't forget the

FESTIVAL of GEMS

We Berylites enjoy that festival...we have had a few.

darkstorme

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:55:35 pm »
Nothing for Toran and Rofirein?  No "International Lawful Good Day"?  No "My Armour is Shinier Than Yours" day?

*sighs.. then dodges Galan and runs off*

lonnarin

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:34:35 am »
"The Night of Flesh and Magic" where the Lucindites and Xeenites get together and get blitzed happens every year minus a month or something like that.  So the date always shifts and I lost count long ago of when it lands on.

"Voraxmas" where a dwarf gives presents to his allies in the winter and quests into their enemies yards to chop down and steal their pinetree to take home and put on display isn't an official holiday; in fct I just made that one up.  It's fun though... and only the good kids who make crystal rods get coal!

Xeenies can just make them up on the spot too I think.  Crack open a keg in the streets and liquor up the horses, post some flyers, boom. Festival.  The best is to declare a birthday party of somebody who never even existed, party heavily, and when guests ask where the birthday guy is, just answer "oh, he died.  very tragic really... want a drink?"

Acacea

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:13:15 am »
Acacea's started a few birthday parties for herself... she generally had her birthday several times a year. *Nods a few times.*