The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ideas to "spice" things up  (Read 463 times)

Pen N Popper

Ideas to "spice" things up
« on: May 21, 2007, 11:29:23 am »
Let's say you only had six hours a week to play Layonara.  Assuming that those six hours did not overlap any GM quests, what sort of things would get you motivated to login and play for those hours?  I'm not really asking why you login now but rather what would pique your interest.  

Ideally the suggestions would be available to all in any timezone and not dependent on scheduling with other players.

Some ideas I have:

Weekly "bounty hunter" type quest

Each week a clue is posed on the forums (or perhaps told by the town criers).  Over the course of the week, the GMs would drop further clues randomly on PCs ingame.  A single thread on the forums would act as the IC discussion about the clue.  When the riddle is solved sufficiently in this thread, a GM-placed "point of interest" flag is placed ingame for players to go touch and get XP.

This is a bit elaborate, I know.  It is sort of a server wide open quest.  Think of it as an RP hook that all can use to start conversations with.  Perhaps these are plot quest related.

CNR recipe of the week

Each week a new CNR recipe (or a couple) is made available.  The items vary in difficulty but are centered around expendable items (arrows, food, etc.).  These items would already exist ingame in the form of drops and the ingredients may be a bit obscure (like stardusts).  The recipe is valid only for that week.

If I understand how things work, new CNR recipes can be added outside of the module and will show up on a server reset.

The following users thanked this post: mixafix

Makashi

Re: Ideas to "spice" things up
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 12:43:19 pm »
In regards to the first point, I think it's a good idea for a few more of these sorts of quests to be run.

I try to do what I can with my series' to get the community, well communicating, and I am really pleased with the way people have been sharing this sort of information on the forums, still seems though half of the information I give out on quests either isn't shared, or seems to get forgotten, sometimes ignored, and most of the time I'd say, not posted.

So I'm likely to start up a section soon where players can discuss things in regards to the quests I'm running

And for the second point - Very nice idea, I'd like to see a bit more diversity in things made - but I've no idea what kind of work it would need to implement.

Joyrock

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:37:46 pm »
    I think stuff that gets folks away from DM RP and Player based RP would be great, last night I thought perhaps I should take a break seems I logon, do some Hi how are you lets go bash thing social RP, then I get in massive bash groups and go grind XP, on little quests. Both tend to get old.

And the simple how are you, oh my name is dave, or hey nice to see you again, how is your crafting going. Also gets old. seems I meet other players to form endless alliances with them, to go bash things.

But I have not really seen much to push for player based RP. talk of the dark monsters is about it. :\\

Think Less things focusing on when a DM is on, and more focusing when there not. Because I play late, and I have noticed it often not worth logging on, due to not many on to group with, and pretty hard to find someone even to just say hi too.I often spend about a hour running between the main places, before noticing that I spent a hour not running into someone.

more things for when DM's are not on would probly get me to long on more.

XBlade

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 01:46:57 pm »
      I like those ideas Pen and Popper.

Maybe more players should do player-led-events. Like I am with the Smash 'n' Bash contest, and the exploration. I've been fiddling around with the quest creation thingy chest and been having some fun with it. I'm currently thinking of another event to do from time to time to look for a quest or an NPC or something, riddles and so on.

Taric/XBlade.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 02:13:28 pm »
      Quote from: Joyrock
      I think stuff that gets folks away from DM RP and Player based RP would be great, last night I thought perhaps I should take a break seems I logon, do some Hi how are you lets go bash thing social RP, then I get in massive bash groups and go grind XP, on little quests. Both tend to get old.

And the simple how are you, oh my name is dave, or hey nice to see you again, how is your crafting going. Also gets old. seems I meet other players to form endless alliances with them, to go bash things.

But I have not really seen much to push for player based RP. talk of the dark monsters is about it. :\\

Think Less things focusing on when a DM is on, and more focusing when there not. Because I play late, and I have noticed it often not worth logging on, due to not many on to group with, and pretty hard to find someone even to just say hi too.I often spend about a hour running between the main places, before noticing that I spent a hour not running into someone.

more things for when DM's are not on would probly get me to long on more.

Remember, you've not been here too long... Things come and go in waves for different timeslots. Both DMed and not.

Joyrock

• View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 05:50:33 pm »
        regardless of a DM being on, I still think stuff to do other then craft, and monster bash would be nice for when there not on, more RP things. the amount of time I have played, does not matter when it comes to things to do.

Keep in mind, the question was what would spice things up for you, that was my answer. and it not so much as something the DM's can fix, more so more experienced players.

Let me give you a Example of player based RP I am talking of. my frist day on one server, a player was helping me out hunted with me, etc. then he says. I must leave now Seek shamrock in the city, he can help you. so he logged onto his other char.

was walking around town. So I bumped into him, and the fella in bright green said he would show me around, and great was to make the gold I needed, but first I had to help him with a little job. then he gestured over to a drunk sleeping dwarf, a player afk with bottle around him. so after patting down the dwarf for what shamrock said was his own wallet, we when to the docks where I had to drop off a leter for him, once again pretty shady stuff, it got my char into a little bit of trouble. then I had to RP my way out of the misunderstanding with the local hero's. well after that the local hero's were more then willing to keep me from folks like shamrock and show me the ropes.

Not only was I having fun exploring the server, but I was also RPing, got in some trouble RPed my way out and was not a single DM on.

while monster bashing contest are nice, and area tornaments, archery contests, other mini games. there not really RP based.

Another example of what I mean was I was on my char and I RPed having a kid, the kid was missing and I swore it had to be the works of my archrival, trying to make me lose sleep before some big grand day I had for them to be able to beat me. well I confronted them with a group and we did the whole I know you did it, after a while they ran (full OK's and understanding from me and them to make it fun for all) and they led us on a wild goose chase lasting half the night. well when we catch them and everything and I am ready to have them arrested for kidnapping and the likes, a char walks up with the kid and says hi. "I do the whole your OK I so happy did he hurt you?" they look at me like I crazy and go we just went to go pick flowers far away did you not get the letter I left you under your bed?

When a few players agree to do these with a faviorable outcome for all, and make it somewhat conflict, makes the ones not in on it wonder, then you done a good job.

See what I mean? Just something more then "Hey lets go bash monsters would be nice." Don't really the DM's to logon more they logon enough and do there part, it up to the players to meet them half way the rest of the time, and keep things "spiced up"

I believe this was why we have 'World leaders' ;) .

kuchida

• View Profile
          « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 05:54:49 pm »
          Joyrock..

I think you're being unrealistic, especially for someone who hasn't been here long...  How many people do you meet in real life and suddenly make instant, deep connections?  You can't expect great role play between strangers, at least not consistently..  It's like real life..

Usually it's small talk and some activities together which lead to friendship.  In real life it might be talking about music or something, which would lead to going to a see a band together, which would lead to deep conversations about other things and becoming real friends.

In a game like this it's a casual "what do you do?" or "what do you craft" which would lead to a trip to gather something or bash something, which would lead to talking along the way, and then next thing you know the characters are good friends and involved in each other's dramas.  Or for that matter they may become enemies, or whatever else, but it's something that has to develop-- and it does, and it happens here all day every day.

That's how it seems to be at least and as far as I can tell there's plenty of that going on. If you don't see it then you haven't been here long enough. A lot of it can't be forced and has to happen organically (if someone comes up to me and starts telling me the story of their life, or a total stranger throws their drama in my face expecting me to react, I usually back away.)

Also.. And I don't know you, so this isn't about you at all but just a general comment to anyone.. But you have to be interesting and entertaining yourself to get it back from others.  If you're not getting player-player RP you may not be giving it either.

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 06:45:24 pm »
          These are some great suggestions, I really like the idea of the Town Criers giving the latest clues to "do" something vice giving some news.  Don't get me wrong, I like getting the news too, but the idea of listening to the Town Crier and then going to do something sounds very interactive and fun.  Unfortunately I have no idea how much work it takes to change/add things to what the Town Crier says let alone adding the reward for doing that thing so I can totally understand if it's too much work.

Chongo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 06:55:35 pm »
          PnP, the second idea will never happen.  It's just not ever going to be consistently possible for the workforce or for the rate of updates.

The first idea is quite nice though, and I think it should be pursued with some vigor.  So git on it!

Pen N Popper

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:12:59 pm »
          Why are you folks commenting on Joyrock?  That's not appropriate to this thread.  Make some suggestions as to things that may encourage you to logon when you wouldn't otherwise.  Please, stay on topic.

I may be misunderstanding the new CNR recipe interface, but I think that adding new recipes (assuming the items are already ingame) is now trivial to do.  Someone on the project team correct me here?

Joyrock

• View Profile
            « Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 07:25:33 pm »
            Quote from: kuchida
            Joyrock..

I think you're being unrealistic, especially for someone who hasn't been here long...  How many people do you meet in real life and suddenly make instant, deep connections?  You can't expect great role play between strangers, at least not consistently..  It's like real life..

Usually it's small talk and some activities together which lead to friendship.  In real life it might be talking about music or something, which would lead to going to a see a band together, which would lead to deep conversations about other things and becoming real friends.

In a game like this it's a casual "what do you do?" or "what do you craft" which would lead to a trip to gather something or bash something, which would lead to talking along the way, and then next thing you know the characters are good friends and involved in each other's dramas.  Or for that matter they may become enemies, or whatever else, but it's something that has to develop-- and it does, and it happens here all day every day.

That's how it seems to be at least and as far as I can tell there's plenty of that going on. If you don't see it then you haven't been here long enough. A lot of it can't be forced and has to happen organically (if someone comes up to me and starts telling me the story of their life, or a total stranger throws their drama in my face expecting me to react, I usually back away.)

Also.. And I don't know you, so this isn't about you at all but just a general comment to anyone.. But you have to be interesting and entertaining yourself to get it back from others.  If you're not getting player-player RP you may not be giving it either.

O.o yet I can meet people and be trusted enough to go slay trolls with them?
            If trying to get players to RP is unrealistic I must not be on a RP server :\\

Think you did not bother to read much of what I said, both those things need less trust then to monster bash side by side with someone. I am not saying you need to do something, but I mean hey lets go monster bash is not RP. It nice watching folks RP there wounds,swinging there weapon,  and there chars funny acents, but it does not bring me much exitment. it not a very exciting thing. it a RPish thing but exciting it is not.

thank Pen N popper, I do get tired of the whole new your thing, when I have seen nothing new since day one, and I think after playing NWN for 5 years I am vet of monster bashing, that does not really change on any server.

I really think the best things we can do to "Spice things up" is do it ourselves and not trust our own fun in the hands of DM's they got enough to do and expecting more out of them is selfish, and unsupportive. If players made a effort to lead events, create important feeling events with out DM's on then I would be more inclined to logon when there are not DM's on( short logon for RP when there no DM's to hand it out), I have talked to others, and they feel the same way.

in fact after talking with them they want to help make it possible rather then bash it. Now it all good and gold for us to talk about what would be nice, and spice things up but lets do the things to spice them up.

best way to spice things up is find others willing talk/work it out with them, and make it possible not talk about it, best way to do this is remove factors that slow it down or delay it, such as the need for DM's, scripts, haks, or anything else that needs added to the module. Go the distance and be a leader, Create RP, create something you can control, and are allowed to do.  

The need for players to lead RP does not change no matter what server you goto that is why we are here to RP. Any DM will tell you, getting players to RP for themselves is the hardest thing of being a DM, because you can't be a Dm and do it because then your still leading/showing them with tools they don't have. You need leaders amoung the players.

Chongo

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 07:45:17 pm »
            Quote from: Pen N Popper

I may be misunderstanding the new CNR recipe interface, but I think that adding new recipes (assuming the items are already ingame) is now trivial to do. Someone on the project team correct me here?

Well I guess if you want it from the horse's mouth, you can ask Nibor.  I'm just some other peice of the horse.  No comments now...

But understanding the process of item discussion, item balancing, item creation, recipe discussion, recipe balancing, cnr script creation, module implementation, then module updating (even if in this last step there's some DB I don't know about where they can just continually add more recipes).... I don't see it happening.  Just trying to be honest.

But by all means, I like the idea, and if there's some workaround I just don't know about it... fun!

The vibe I get from your response is that it's more feasible to put work on the project team rather then the GM team at this time.  Pull a 180 on that one.

I like the bounty quest idea.

Tanman

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 07:51:33 pm »
            JoyRock does have a point. I remember when I first came on the server in July, 2006. Things were very different back then. Alot of the players made their own stories and conflicts amongst themselves which made very interesting character stories. I remember listening to stories about  different characters interactions bickering and dynamics and  That is what drew me to Layonara.

I remember exploring around the Dragon Isles with a druid, a high Druid might i add, and then visiting her grove...all the while learning the LORE of the place. That is how I learnt about the Tol'efor and such.

I remember sitting down and just talking to people. Getting to know people. We would just sit and talk. We would listen to Ozy tell stories about the Bloodwar, Rhizome would appear out of Sielwood (now known as Silkwood) and talk about the Great Oak.

BUT getting back to spicing things up. I think I have an idea what PnP is talking about...I still remember when my character was around we had a Purple worm appear out of nowhere.  *goes and puts his thinking hood on*

Joyrock

• View Profile
              « Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 08:03:56 pm »
              I feel less stuff on both's back is needed. The work need is to keep others having fun. that what this place is for. find ways to spice things up with out the DM team and project team then you found away to 'spice' things up.

we all know this place can be more fun if people work on the module and work hard, but there doing that al'ready at there max speed, if it is to slow for you to find things thrilling, then trying to find ways to spice things up on your own is it.

Think outside the box, most things on the server are craft, and monster bashing based. Lets try to avoid that to add a NEW fee, after all your not changing the flavor by adding more of the old, you just making it strong to choke on. ;)

Honestly I think a good place to start is a by gathering as much folks as we can and avoid monster bashing at all costs. a fevestival would be a great way to start, making plans for this while others get other idea's for it is always fun ands exciting nothing like a bunch of retarded orc chars coming to the fevestival and trying to ride the pony, nearly killing it the process or entering the pie eating contest and eating all the pies. ruining the fun for most chars IC, while they have a balst IC, and we all have a good laugh OOC.:D

kuchida

• View Profile
                « Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:14:23 pm »
                Joyrock I read exactly what you said. What you're looking for is not only here, but happens. And there's nothing keeping you from creating more of it.

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »
                You know, everyone's always talking about how everyone is always out bashing, yet they don't realize how long some people take once they leave town to get to the bashing or how many people stop in the middle of it in a pretty place and chat for hours...Real hours.

I personally think there are always slow moments in the game, yet all the fun in between makes up for it. Real life isn't always on the move, we're not always playing our best, and therefore lapses will be made.

Honestly, I think it's fine... I've seen players and GMs do some great things on both ends, and this is the first time I've heard complaints from people about it being old.

No, PnP, I'm not directing this at you. I think your first idea would be great. I'd love something big and fun to happen in the middle of whatever-ness. I'm sure it would make your newspaper too :)

Joyrock

• View Profile
                  « Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »
                  But I really think player run events, like a festival would be nice, with like a mages familar as one of the animals in the cage and it gets lose and causes havoc, as a group of half-orc/half giant chars come to it and ruin it with there small brains and massive bulks while they do that HA! HA! HAAA! laugh. and some char panics and freaks out the pie's are ruined while a halfling dives under the table with the last of the pie, glancing around the before to dig in only to jump at the sound of that laugh and put the pie all over there face and get fighting angry to find themselves walking in place in anger as there held back by a friend, while they call out threats to the ones that ruined the party, after the high Wis chars calm all down, and the half-orc/half giants say there sorry and head back to the hills only to have the halfling digging a grave for the pie and praying at it, as they wipe a tear from there face.
                  then some folks run by chasing that mages familar we all forgot about, as we all goto look for it, RP takes a turn, as it comes to life on it own, maybe a evil char does something.

this is just a example of things we can do to remove work off the project team, and DM team. and if this happens everyday, which it can. then I don't know who would'nt want to logon more. just think of the things that would happen when a DM to take control of it.

why must a DM leave clues with the bounty idea? a player can do this just as well as a DM, bump into some one drop a clue in there pocket, Rp leaving it in there path, send them a tell about it, etc.

can call your self something like "the grey' and leave these clues that seem to be building up to the secrect of say the shadows, but then folks find out you did that just to get focus on your little game in the end. they might bonk you on the head or shake a finger at you but OOC everything would be fine.:)

Now I am not out right talking about scheduled events, like these festivals, and contest I see on the forums, talking about more spare of the moment stuff. stuff that makes me not want to logoff for fear of mising something that just Springs up!

social events are not what I am talking about there fun, but not very spicy.
                  talking about turning social events into spicy things, out right chaos. and a opening for evil chars to do something evil. while not harming anyone (unless that there goal) to get some sort of evil goal done.

Interia_Discordius

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:21 pm »
                  The thing is, these sorts of things happen at festivals. For example, at the most recent Leringard Arms party, there was a huge and chaotic drinking contest that had me laughing that ended with Kali reading some cards for the characters who wanted it done...That's good CDT information right there, since card-readers have a way of vagueness that makes them seem spot on with your character's story...And all we did was roll dice to determine the cards and such.

I just don't like hearing that it isn't being done... Just participate more in player ran events. There's a whole section of them on the calendar.

Dorganath

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 08:51:30 pm »
                  Hey guys, can we stop pointing out how long people have been here as a dismissive gesture?  He may not have been here, but he did run a PW of his own for about five years, so why not cut Joyrock, and everyone else who makes suggestions, some slack.

Saying "you haven't been here long" is akin to telling a child to shut up and go sit at the kid's table while the grown-ups talk.

That's really not the kind of atmosphere we want here, is it?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 09:42:33 pm »
                  **coughs** suggestions.... humm...

Well, there are "festivals" already, there are scheduled player-run story-telling nights, there are just "tavern" nights.... so many good ideas have already been implemented... ideas that keep me coming back to develop my character, learn more of the world, or just goof off.

To that end, I'm afraid I can't think of any other ideas to interest me in logging in- at least not at the moment. I like PnP's suggestions, as I usually do.

Player intitiated RP stuff that's non-bashy, it's out there. and there are plenty of us, world leaders and otherwise, that do present RP opportunity on a regular basis- just like in Joyrock's example. Still, if you want RP situations, create as many as you participate in, whether you're a new or old player. And that means that sometimes you have to ask questions.

anything