The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Just a minor note  (Read 525 times)

Link092

Just a minor note
« on: September 21, 2009, 06:17:27 pm »
Quote from: SteveMaurer
The elfin girl hardly hears him, clearly self-involved with some thought that brings an angry expression to her pretty face.   "I cannot believe," she mutters loudly enough for the guards to hear, "that my design was not considered the best."   She steps coldly over the bodies on the docks without even noticing them.  "But...   to lose to a cheater?     Aggh."

Petulantly, she kick one of the corpses in the leg, and stomps off back in the direction of the academy.

Yeah, while In-character, I do not like what is implied behind this statement, as it is uncalled for, and the issue has already been addressed. If you are unaware of what was decided, then my bad, but such childish antics have no place here.

I do not want this to be some he said she said bullcarp, so respond if you want, but please do so civilly.

Thank you,

Link092

The following users thanked this post: Nehetsrev, Lance Stargazer, geloooo

Script Wrecked

Re: Just a minor note
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:04:26 pm »
Link092,

Would you please clarify your grievance with what you are thinking is being implied which you are determining is uncalled for.

It looks to me as though SteveMaurer is making a (wholly) in-character post (which you acknowledge) about his character's response to what took place.

As you said, the issue has been addressed. Could it not be that this was his character's response to that outcome (viz, his character was not satisfied with that outcome).

Also, just to make the disconnect explicit, just because a someone's character thinks that someone else's character's is a cheat, doesn't actually make that character a cheat. Paladin characters get labeled with all sorts of unflattering adjectives all the time; it doesn't make it so, though.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Hellblazer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:15:48 am »
Quote from: Script Wrecked
Paladin characters get labeled with all sorts of unflattering adjectives all the time; it doesn't make it so, though.

you sure? :p *runs and hides*

But yeah agrees totally

Pseudonym

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:19:22 am »
Link092,

Would you please clarify your grievance with what you are thinking is being implied which you are determining is uncalled for.

It looks to me as though SteveMaurer is making a (wholly) in-character post (which you acknowledge) about his character's response to what took place.

As you said, the issue has been addressed. Could it not be that this was his character's response to that outcome (viz, his character was not satisfied with that outcome).

Also, just to make the disconnect explicit, just because a someone's character thinks that someone else's character's is a cheat, doesn't actually make that character a cheat. Paladin characters get labeled with all sorts of unflattering adjectives all the time; it doesn't make it so, though.

Regards,

Script Wrecked.

Ditto.

Why wouldn't SteveMaurer's character be peeved? To me it read as a totally acceptable and reasonable in-character reaction - apart from the kicking a corpse in Vehl bit - you know that very well could have been Arkolio. :(

Lynn1020

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:32:02 am »
Quote from: Pseudonym
Ditto.

To me it read as a totally acceptable and reasonable in-character reaction - apart from the kicking a corpse in Vehl bit - you know that very well could have been Arkolio. :(

Emie missed the chance??? That is just wrong!!

No just kidding.. it made me sad to see you say that. :(

Chazzler

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:55:05 am »
*Groans* I hope this aroma in my nose isn't the smell of another flame war about to start...

Please, it is just a game

Nehetsrev

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:59:57 am »
What Darthirae (sorry, no special characters on this keyboard) was referencing in the above quote is a situation that in-character she could have known nothing about. Why do I say that? Because the entries were not submitted to Darthirae, they were sent to the Tower Academy directly. When each entry reached the Tower Academy would not have been aparent publicly, thus for Darhtirae to make such an in-character, public fuss over it should never have occured as she'd have no idea that Idoran's entry got there past the deadline.

Further, since in RL I'm married to the player of Elohanna who took the blame for the oversight in the contest, even though she herself didn't vote in the sellection of the winner, I have to say that the situation is simply not funny either in-character or out. It should not have been brought up in-character, and could have and should have been addressed privately (in my opinion), or at least brought up objectively in a polite OOC fashion.

So, in esence SteveMaurer can just ret-conn this in-character bull-crud hissy-fit about a situation his/her character wouldn't have had any in-character knowledge of in the first place. A public apology might go a long way to restore SteveMaurer's reputation as a person/player in my eyes, provided it's worded carefully and sincerely, but otherwise I'll remain rather dissappointed in this person's behavior. I'm not saying there wasn't a vallid OOC complaint in this situation, but it should never have been brought in-character. Point-blank and simple.

Script Wrecked

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 08:43:24 am »
Quote from: Nehetsrev
So, in esence SteveMaurer can just ret-conn this in-character bull-crud hissy-fit about a situation his/her character wouldn't have had any in-character knowledge of in the first place. A public apology might go a long way to restore SteveMaurer's reputation as a person/player in my eyes, provided it's worded carefully and sincerely, but otherwise I'll remain rather dissappointed in this person's behavior. I'm not saying there wasn't a vallid OOC complaint in this situation, but it should never have been brought in-character. Point-blank and simple.

This is unwarranted.

SteveMaurer has made an IC post to an IC situation. Nothing wrong with that.

Anamnesis

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:48:59 am »
Just a few notes to mention.

OOC: this situation was settled with Darthirae and an agreement was reached. This is the first point. I made a settlement IC and this has been posted in the Tower Academy forums.

What that settlement is needs to be learned IC. That is all I will say about it. This is another perfectly good reason why I keep my journal private.

Idoran's character was most gracious to deal with this as he did, and his entry is going to be the one representing the school. Though Darthirae's may have been the valid entry.

Third, I would personally appreciate it there is anymore that needs to be said about this rather than beating the poor defenseless horse that you all take it up with me IC. I am rather tired of addressing this in the forum for which I have little time for. If you can't catch me in game, send me a PM, or a Falcon in game, and for the love of all things... GET OVER IT!
Elohanna Min A'Litae, Priestess of Aeridin
Breanna Shadowraven, Wizard/Rogue of Folian S'pae
Cord, Bard of Ilsare
Melaa A'nadivian, Ranger of Folian S'pae

Anamnesis

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:59 am »
He made an IC post to a situation he should have known nothing about IC.

I believe the phrase is called Metagaming.

This is unwarranted.

SteveMaurer has made an IC post to an IC situation. Nothing wrong with that.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

Script Wrecked

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:35 am »
I would seem I am missing something significant in what is transpiring here.

Why isn't this an IC response to an IC situation?

Wasn't this a public (IG) post (or in as far, available (IG) knowledge)?

Isn't the whole thread fairly general (IC) knowledge?

Anamnesis

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:19:28 am »
http://forums.layonara.com/trade-market-hall/238482-tower-academy-seal-competition.html

This was the original thread where I posted the announcement for the winner of the tower Academy winner. Never did I mention the circumstances surrounding the winner IC.

So the response that was made IC was unjustified. It should have all been kept OOC.

That is the point.

HOWEVER, I have IC settled this dispute with both Idoran and Darthirae, and the discussion needs to end. Anything more about it is a waste of time. I am asking them both to drop it, and for this to be closed, since at this point it serves no purpose but to possibly flare tempers for a situation that should have been left alone.

SM attacked Idorans character IC, as a cheater and that should never have happened PERIOD, and he deserves an apology. For the record he was also kind enough and shown enough character to return the true he was given as prize.
Cord, Bard of Ilsare

Dorganath

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 09:28:58 am »
Alright...

When Link092 posted this, he then immediately asked me to lock it. I refused, as it was unfair to SteveMaurer by squelching his ability to respond, should he choose to do so. I recommended either editing the content or deleting it and taking it to PMs so that an understanding could be reached between the players.  There's always two sides to everything, and often three or more, with hopefully the "real" truth being tossed in there somewhere.

In any case, this thread is taking a nose-dive, and I'd like it to stop.  Even so, it's only fair to hear from SteveMaurer on this before the thread is closed down, having run its course and then some.

To that end, I ask that no one else post in this thread for any reason except for Link092 and SteveMaurer. I'll make one exception to this and that is if someone from the Tower Academy wishes to post the content of any IC agreements reached between the Tower Academy, Idorian and Darthirâe.  Otherwise, please respect my request and know that I will most likely delete any other postings, especially inflammatory ones.

And to address everyone here so as to not single anyone out.

There's a lot of finger-pointing in this thread...a lot of assumptions and accusations, as can often happen in an absence of complete information and especially in a text-based medium. If you have a problem with someone or something...if something doesn't seem "right" or "fair", it's far, far better to address such things directly, at the source...and as quickly and calmly as possible.

Remember we're here to have fun and find enjoyment.  Bickering and squabbling over words and perceptions isn't fun for anyone.

SteveMaurer

// No OOC offense intended
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 01:28:59 pm »
This was Darthirâe's reaction to the messages she saw posted on the boards around the Tower Academy.    That came from posts made to the Market Board on this website, which is supposed to represent posted public announcements, and things given to the merchantmen and criers to repeat so that illiterates can learn of them too.

In game, I made the assumption that Elohanna publicly announced the end of the competition (see this link here), and that later, Mr. Mossfield, who submitted late, was announced the winner.   This, Darthirâe concluded, had to have been the result of some form of cheating - and this (faulty) conclusion was based on facts well known in-game.

Darthirâe's response was twofold.  First, she got very upset and posted anonymous accusations around the tower (see here), then stomped around petulantly.   Finally (in a later time-bubble), realizing that she wasn't going to gain anything anything by acting that way, decided to try to make the best of a bad situation by making a separate bargain with the Councilor (which I already have concluded).

My inclusion of this little snippet was simply intended for color, and to expose a bit of her personality.   Although she saved dozens of people's lives around the docks during the initial attack, she literally cares more about her own personal grievances (and the 50,000 True) than the scene of widespread destruction and misery she's walking through.  Her kicking the corpse out of anger was meant to reinforce that.

However, all of this is entirely in-game.   As you might have noticed, in the original announcement of the winner, I gave my Thanks.   And I did it at the beginning before Darthirâe posted her anonymous attack, and as part of my PM to Anamnesis representing Darthirâe's communication with  Elohanna, I begun with an OOC comment saying that I was very amused at the situation.   If Anamnesis wants to publish that PM to show this is the case, that's fine by me.

No OOC offense was intended, OK?     Game on.
8)

Dorganath

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:13:45 pm »
And with that, this thread is now locked.