The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Creature Items  (Read 299 times)

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
Creature Items
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:04:45 pm »
I was talking to others about Gelatinous Cubes and things like Golems dropping items equivalent to what they were. As Gelatinous Cubes are seen with items within them, I thought, 'why don't they drop acid pocked armor and swords or even gold?" More importantly, after a trip to Ulgrid and some nasty fights with various Golems, I thought, 'wouldn't it be cool if you could get ore/gems from their dead bodies?'

Anyhoodle, I just thought I'd discuss it, or at least make mention of it as a suggestion.

lunchboxkilla

Re: Creature Items
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 04:41:56 pm »
We have a few golems that drop the ore that they are made of :) As for the cubes, I been asking for  long time that they should have a small ammount of gold on them...

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 04:49:41 pm »
"Normal" golems drop a minable hunk of rock/ore that you can get something from (iron golems, iron, adamantium golems, adamantium etc.)

The gem golems don't drop gems though.  Its mostly a matter of balance.  How difficult they are and how plentiful they are, it would be soo much easier to just go kill a bunch of golems every time you need gems than to go mine them.

Faldred

RE: Creature Items
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:59:35 pm »
Gel Cubes probably erode the armor and swords to uselessness.  Gold and/or gems would be reasonable.

Marswipp

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:27:15 pm »
If armor and weapons erode, wouldn't the money and gems erode too?
Playing D&D 3.5e, D&D 5e, Pathfinder, and exploring Starfinder through a VTT

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
    • Followers of Xeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 06:43:39 pm »
If you want to go by the monster manual, Gelatinous Cubes don't dissolve metal, only flesh and other organics.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 06:54:55 pm »
Exactly. So give them randomized armor/weapons, and make them harder to kill.

Filatus

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:00:53 pm »
Making them hareder to kill means making life a lot more difficult for malachite searching low level players.

I never understood why people want more drops, in my opinion the drops as they are undermine the craftingmarket enough as it is.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 07:03:17 pm »
Because it's more fun to say you pulled a sword out of a Gcube than that you had it made by suchandsuch.

Weeblie

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:54:01 pm »
But seriously, unless it's a really, really good drop (high level drop)... Are you going to use that item? :P

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »
Weeble...no (or maybe), but it makes it interesting.

As for whoever said that people would just go after Gem Golems to get easy gems; are you out of your mind? Gem Golems for easy gems, those people must be crazy because there is nothing easy about killing a gem Golem.  Not on Layonara. I go with a small army of at least a half dozen myself.   :)

Ar7

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 01:02:12 am »
Icurus - 3/22/2006  11:07 PM

Weeble...no (or maybe), but it makes it interesting.

As for whoever said that people would just go after Gem Golems to get easy gems; are you out of your mind? Gem Golems for easy gems, those people must be crazy because there is nothing easy about killing a gem Golem.  Not on Layonara. I go with a small army of at least a half dozen myself.   :)

It works that way only if you are below level 10. As soon as people reach high levels and if gems golems drop gems, you have an easy source.

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:36 am »
I don't know man, I'm 8th level and there are still times those Red Light Goblins are handing me my booty. I'm sure it's not all welcome home parades to go dancing into the Golem zones at 10th lvl or higher.

Harloff

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 03:13:37 am »
Most high level characters could just go and kill an emerald golem on their own if they felt like it, and if these golems would indeed drop emeralds people would start hunting them all the time... This means that if the marked shouldn't be flooded with emeralds the drop rate should be less than 1 out of 10.000 perhaps lower than 1 of 100.000.

But on this whole subject i agree with Filatus, creature drops are undermining the economy, making it difficult for crafters to sell the things they produce and to keep a resonable price level. I would prefer more gold drops and less drops with items that can be crafted.

Faldred

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 03:53:55 am »
Marswipp - 3/22/2006  9:27 PM

If armor and weapons erode, wouldn't the money and gems erode too?

One of the traits that make gold, silver, and gemstones so valued is that they don't corrode (this is why the best electrical connectors are gold-plated, for example).  However, as someone pointed out, Gel Cubes aren't supposed to dissovle metal acording to the Monster Manual, so I'm off-base to start with.   ;)

Harloff

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 04:19:37 am »
Faldred - 3/23/2006  12:53 PM

[One of the traits that make gold, silver, and gemstones so valued is that they don't corrode (this is why the best electrical connectors are gold-plated, for example).

This is not completly correct, silver does indeed oxidise that is why you have to polish it, however as many other metals aluminum, copper etc. the oxidised film is stable around PH 7, which prevent further corrotion. However at other PH-vaues these oxidised films are not necesarily stable anymore, e.g. aluminum is only stable close PH 7 but away from this value the metal will corrode. In contrats to this iron doesn't form a stable oxide close to PH 7 but forms a stable oxide at low PH values. (as far as i remeber anyway, been a while since i had lectures in material science, so I am a bit rusty 8) ).

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 04:31:56 am »
But the Gcubes erode materials with digestive enzymes, NOT actual acids, if you really want to get serious.

Harloff

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 04:38:14 am »
*grins* So we are talking about things that can be digested mostly plant parts, fabric, paper, starch, etc. wereas glass metals gems should be unaffected by such an attack since no living creature qould benifit from breaking these materials down, and would thus not have an enzyme that could do it....

crazedgoblin

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 08:09:44 am »
i looted a water canteen off a cube and it lasted one gulp before it leaked hahah

Icurus

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 09:21:47 pm »
You did? I have yet to loot anything off a cube and I've luckily killed lots of them before they could kill me.

Anyway, that canteen find would be funny.

anything