The Layonara Community > General Discussion

Knowing Deity relationships

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dorganath:
DMOE is correct here.  Mechanically, it's a spell/cantrip.  In "reality" it's a "sense".

Acacea:
Yeah we have no way of knowing that a priest just sensed our divine links, and its poor RP to react to that. HOWEVER it's also generally considered poor RP to cast divine relation and go off on the handle about said person and use it as meager justification for an all out war etc. But! One saving grace is that no matter what the character says, the cantrip doesn't say WHICH deity they worship, so if they announce that they know, its just a guess wanting to be confirmed.

Drizzlin:

--- Quote from: lonnarin ---This might be considered a hostile action however.  Not everybody has the spellcraft points to identify a spell, and casting spells on people in town without their permission was stated in another post before as being an illegal in Hlint, and most certainly Prantz.  I would prefer the direct approach of asking, and most of my characters would likely gut a stranger attempting to cast a spell on them without permission.  You might be able to secretly pull this off though while partying with somebody and while you're already laying down a huge chain of buffs on them.

*an unknown Cleric walks up to a wizard and casts divine revelation on him*

"My god doesn't like you!"

*wizard returns the spell with combust and laughs as the cleric runs around in circles with his head on fire*

"Wow, my god REALLY doesn't like you!"

Conversely, it would be funny for a Corathite priest to cast virtue on a person, drop his jaw and proclaim "Fetch the torches and pitchforks, we have a Corathite!"
--- End quote ---

Let us not dig the old thread up...but the ruling on this is that the "spell" divine relation is really just a "feeling" your pc gets from their god. There is no component, visual or somatic casting going on.

I have used this spell a lot on large parties during a DM event, to see who I will help/not help. I have had pcs start rping that "casting spells on me will get you killed ect" and sometimes they have sent me tells saying "please do not cast on my pc without asking".

Just make sure to explain to them in tells that they did not actually see you cast a spell, but due to game mechanics that is the only way the spell could be put in the game. You can also refer them to this post.

Skywatcher:
Thanks so much for the answers to the question.  This is pretty much the way I have been doing things but it's nice to know that my assumptions were correct.

Acacea:
In fairness, I think it's kind of a bummer that Champions don't have such a cantrip. In Layo, they are actually a step above others instead of a step below - sort of directly chosen to stand for a deity, which is why they are lock in step instead of one step away. It seems like in theory, if they're in-line to the extreme, they should at least have the same deity sense as someone else in the faith.

On the other hand, no offense or anything, but how many champions are there? :P They don't have a spellbook (I think?) so you couldn't just toss it in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version