The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: For social scientists and the paranoic  (Read 215 times)

Serissa

For social scientists and the paranoic
« on: November 02, 2007, 04:24:32 pm »
Read the article "Virtual Worlds, Real Science" in the 10/27/07 Science News Magazine. A plague unleashed by an attacked god decimated the WoW world for nearly a week. Scientists were fascinated by the behaviors exhibited and are publishing real papers in respected journals on the phenomenon. Moreover, they're begging online worlds for access to data on social behavior. Gee, we could be guinea pigs!

Falonthas

Re: For social scientists and the paranoic
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »
or better they might fund layo to see how we act

LynnJuniper

Re: For social scientists and the paranoic
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:36:28 pm »
This may actually help me on an investigative journalism peice I'm doing for school. I wanted to write about how for some people Virtual Fantasy worlds such as World of Warcraft could for some come to replace real social behavior and the positive and negative effects that spur from it.

Some people meet their best friends and the people they wanna spent their life with online.

Others drop out of college to play WoW on a 36/24 (Play sleep) schedule.

My idea is basically to interview people these things have effected (Maybe I can even get Leanthar to speak on it ;) People are sure addicted to what he's created), and talk to the developmental psychology professor in my college to get his take ecetera.

So Thanks Serissa!

anything